PC Build Thread - Page 39 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    06 S2000

Ya'll make me want more SSDs.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

I ran Cinebench R23 for fun, I got 25,914 multicore and the highest temp I saw was 59C. In theory I would get higher if I manually maxed out my fans as Ryzen will boost the CPU based on thermals automatically, but it will all-core boost over 4Ghz stock and single core is around 5.1Ghz.

Didn't want to wait another 10 min for single core but maybe later haha.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Ya'll make me want more SSDs.
    5+ or GTFO
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I still can't find a new video card anywhere and it makes me sad. My old 1080 is starting to show it's age. My pubg FPS is suffering because my monitor is 1440p. So annoying.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I suspect that Memory Express increaseed its prices on GPUs over the past couple weeks.

Coulda sworn the TUF 3060ti wasn't selling for $729.99.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    I suspect that Memory Express increaseed its prices on GPUs over the past couple weeks.

I asked them about this before as I bought my 3060Ti Eagle OC for 570$ including tax back in December but now going for 679$, from what they told me back in February that it was due to chip shortage and memory price increase.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I believe nvidia raised the msrp and all the trailers followed suit.

Edit: Whoa, no they definitely raised prices. I bought a Gigabyte 3070 Gaming OC for 799$ and a Gigabyte Aorus Master 3070 for 839$ (both plus tax) and now those cards are listed for 899$ and 1029$ respectively. Especially the master thats a massive price jump, fk I should've flipped them for even more.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 03-07-2021 at 04:27 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

nuts, you are right. the 3070 Auros Master that I picked up under 900$ is over 1030$ now.

I paid $809 + tax in November for my Gigabyte 3070 Aorus Master.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Yeah shortages def bumped the price up, my TUF 3080 was $1039+tax when ordered in October.

Listed for $1,189+tax now on memex website

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Yeah, I called them today to ask where I was on the waitlist and got some bullshit answer about how they don't have that info.

Then, when I told him the rep who put me on the waitlist told me they can see how many people are on the waitlist for each card, he conceded and said that they're not really supposed to share that info.

Finally, he said that if the prices did go up, they'd honor the price at the time I was put on the waitlist.

I'm not holding my breath for anything he's telling me lol.

Finally, he said that if the prices did go up, they'd honor the price at the time I was put on the waitlist.

They did keep the price for me when I picked up the Aorus Master a week ago. It was 819 when I was put on the waitlist and 839 when I picked up the card. I paid 819 + tax. I guess in my case, it wasn't a huge jump in price though.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah, I called them today to ask where I was on the waitlist and got some bullshit answer about how they don't have that info.

Then, when I told him the rep who put me on the waitlist told me they can see how many people are on the waitlist for each card, he conceded and said that they're not really supposed to share that info.

I don't know why it's a big fucking secret, or why they pretend it is.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Still waiting for my call about a gigabyte OC 3080... I think it was mid-late Jan when I went down to the store to put my name on a list, I now feel a bit stupid for not just asking to be on the list for any 3080 that comes in, but whatever.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

I dont think they'll let you do that, don't they make you pcokam card which locks you to that queue.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by tcon View Post
    Still waiting for my call about a gigabyte OC 3080... I think it was mid-late Jan when I went down to the store to put my name on a list, I now feel a bit stupid for not just asking to be on the list for any 3080 that comes in, but whatever.
    You need to pick a specific card.
    Still on the waitlist since mid-Jan @ NW for the 3080.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Have you guys with Ryzen 5000 CPUs enabled PBO2 and applied an undervolt with the curve optimizer? It's worth doing IMO. Takes 30 seconds and I got ~7C lower temps plus about a 100Mhz bump. The stock CPUs are set up very conservatively. In the benchmark I used (CPUz) I got about 3% increased single core performance and 1% multicore. That is with zero effort or tuning, I just threw in a low starting number of -10 (max is -30). If you have a 5600X or 5900X (it works best on CPUs with uneven CCX's), you can probably use -20 or -30 on all cores. If you have the time and inclination you can use Ryzen Master and set an individual value for each core but I'm not going to do that 16 times At least not right now. The 5950X's will get the smallest benefit because they are already the most optimized from the factory, so the lower core CPUs should see a little bit better results yet. You can also apply the curve optimizer without PBO2 and just enjoy lower temps/power consumption if you want.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

How would you guys compare top tier AMD 5900/5950 vs i9? Is one better for specific uses or overall better at everything?
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    How would you guys compare top tier AMD 5900/5950 vs i9? Is one better for specific uses or overall better at everything?
    Ryzen 5000 is currently better at everything except some very specific workloads like AVX512. Ryzen 5000 also has significantly less power consumption and much lower temperatures. Intel also offers nothing worth looking at above 8c/16t so if you're looking at the 5900X or 5950X there is no real competition from Intel at any price.

And by the looks of it, thanks to a bit of a retail blunder, Intel 11th gen desktop has been reviewed already by AnandTech (a month before NDA's lift but NDAs don't apply to items bought via retail channels) and it still lags behind 6-month-old Ryzen 5000 so you're looking at ~2022 before Intel might be competitive again: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535...th-rocket-lake

11th Gen Intel looks to perform worse than 10th gen and even 9th gen in some cases, balancing out the areas it performs slightly better - that is never something you want to see. It also gets crazy hot even with a ridiculous 2KG copper cooler, and can use up to 300W of power. Latency is worse and clock speeds are lower than prior generations because this was originally supposed to be a 10nm part but since Intel hasn't been able to get any 10nm desktop parts off the ground since they were promised in 2015, they backported Rocket Lake to 14nm. It's basically a Hail Mary from them to bridge the gap until 2022 when they will likely have a more competitive product built on a smaller process node.

Regarding the 5900X vs 5950X, the 5950X are the highest binned CPUs (they require two perfect 8 core CCX's to make) so you get the best single core performance (by a tiny margin) along with obviously the best multi-core performance simply because it has the most cores. So basically if you just play games which are typically single threaded, get a 5600X. If you use programs that are multi-threaded, the 5950X is going to be your best performer. The best value by far is the 5900X, and the worst value in the lineup is the 5800X (though still a great CPU). The 5950X is the best at everything but it's disproportionately expensive and would be a huge waste unless you can use all the cores.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-08-2021 at 03:16 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks man, that's what my research was indicating as well. Some smart guys at work were really pointing me to the Intel i9 top cpus because they're relatively so much cheaper, but I don't upgrade often either...pros and cons.

I was already leaning AMD because I've read somewhere that there can be a performance boost when you buy all AMD centric motherboard and RAM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast