Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

I don't game so I just care about the Adobe numbers.
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...-Roundup-1962/

Just got back from ME in the SE. Left with a 5600X.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What motherboard do you have?
    The QVL is just memory that they have tested and guaranteed to work, it doesn't necessarily mean something not on that list will not work.
    Nevermind, found an updated chart.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Memex called me a couple hours ago about my 5900x bundle that I ordered last night, no stock to which I was expecting. Guy said they only got 3 of the 5900x in to which all sold to people who waited in line.

All the Nvidia no stock haters can now start hating AMD

Sucks as the only thing I need to complete my new build is the processor, fun fun fun. F5'ing amazon for eternity now.

Ryzen 5000 back-orders are live at Memory Express now if anyone wants to put their name down - you don't pay until you physically pick it up.

Hate to give them the business but nobody else has stock or is even doing backorders at this point.

Rumors are that stock is expected to be replenished fairly regularly, but less so on the 5900x and 5950x.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I still have my 5900x pre-order from the night before launch if anyone wants it. I ended up buying a 5800x and gonna cancel the 5900x I guess. I'd exchange it but they said no refunds.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I still have my 5900x pre-order from the night before launch if anyone wants it. I ended up buying a 5800x and gonna cancel the 5900x I guess. I'd exchange it but they said no refunds.
    They won't let you return a brand new unopened CPU that would sell to someone else the instant you returned it? Wow. I didn't know they weren't honoring their return policy on Ryzen 5000.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

They won't let you return a brand new unopened CPU that would sell to someone else the instant you returned it? Wow. I didn't know they weren't honoring their return policy on Ryzen 5000.
    Yeah, was kinda thrown off by that. I might still nab the 5900x and sell off the 5800. Not sure yet. I realized either way my MOBO isn't updated to run it so gotta pull apart my old ryzen build and steal the CPU for a bit so gotta wait until I got a long day to mess with it all. I don't think newegg updates the MOBO before shipping.

Yeah, was kinda thrown off by that. I might still nab the 5900x and sell off the 5800. Not sure yet. I realized either way my MOBO isn't updated to run it so gotta pull apart my old ryzen build and steal the CPU for a bit so gotta wait until I got a long day to mess with it all. I don't think newegg updates the MOBO before shipping.
    Wow, that's pretty shitty of them. I'm going to leave my pre-order in place because I'm not committed financially, but if I can get one anywhere else I am going to cancel my Memex order.

Does your mobo have bios flashback, Q-flash, anything like that? If so you can update it via USB as long as there's power to the board. You probably knew that already, but just in case.

Memex might do it for you when you pick up your CPU but since you didn't buy your mobo there I am not sure.

I don't think any of the retailers update their mobo's before shipping but the manufacturers do depending on the build date. Usually there will be a little sticker on the box that says "Ryzen 5000 ready" or something like that.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Wow, that's pretty shitty of them. I'm going to leave my pre-order in place because I'm not committed financially, but if I can get one anywhere else I am going to cancel my Memex order.

Does your mobo have bios flashback, Q-flash, anything like that? If so you can update it via USB as long as there's power to the board. You probably knew that already, but just in case.

Memex might do it for you when you pick up your CPU but since you didn't buy your mobo there I am not sure.

I don't think any of the retailers update their mobo's before shipping but the manufacturers do depending on the build date. Usually there will be a little sticker on the box that says "Ryzen 5000 ready" or something like that.
    I honestly don't know if I can flash without a cpu. I wondered that but couldn't find anything. I don't see it on their site and on the box it has a Ryzen 3000 compatible sticker so guessing it's older. The board does support it but only with the August BIOS release. I doubt it'd have that unless newegg flashed it prior to shipping.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboa...ING-X570-PLUS/

I honestly don't know if I can flash without a cpu. I wondered that but couldn't find anything. I don't see it on their site and on the box it has a Ryzen 3000 compatible sticker so guessing it's older. The board does support it but only with the August BIOS release. I doubt it'd have that unless newegg flashed it prior to shipping.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboa...ING-X570-PLUS/
    Unfortunately that version of the board doesn't have USB flashback - only the "Pro" version o the X570 TUF does.

You need a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.8.1 to run a Ryzen 5000 CPU so you will probably need to get a hold of a previous gen CPU or see if Memex will do it for you even though you aren't buying a mobo from them.

If you already own an older Ryzen CPU, it might be a good excuse to refresh your thermal paste anyway if you pull it out for the BIOS update. Grab some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Unfortunately that version of the board doesn't have USB flashback - only the "Pro" version o the X570 TUF does.

You need a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.8.1 to run a Ryzen 5000 CPU so you will probably need to get a hold of a previous gen CPU or see if Memex will do it for you even though you aren't buying a mobo from them.

If you already own an older Ryzen CPU, it might be a good excuse to refresh your thermal paste anyway if you pull it out for the BIOS update. Grab some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.
    Yeah, I have a old 2400g that'll work. It's just a pain to take apart my HTPC, mount it on the new board, flash, unmount, rebuild the HTPC then make the new PC.

Might just pop by MemEx and ask if they'll do it. Bring the cpu receipt and see.

My Ride

^ this is exactly why I returned the TUF mobo I bought and got the Aorus with USB flashback, since I'm coming from Intel.

PC-Canada accepting online pre-orders as well - https://www.pc-canada.com/item/100-100000061WOF.html

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    ^ this is exactly why I returned the TUF mobo I bought and got the Aorus with USB flashback, since I'm coming from Intel.

PC-Canada accepting online pre-orders as well - https://www.pc-canada.com/item/100-100000061WOF.html
    That ones interesting, says they have 2600 coming by end of Nov. Guess the supply will catch up really quick

My Ride

That ones interesting, says they have 2600 coming by end of Nov. Guess the supply will catch up really quick
    Yeah the incoming stock amount is interesting, who knows if it's true but interesting they list that amount in general and an amount that large.

A few of the big retailer reps have said they don't expect Ryzen 5000 stock to be as bad as people think, but there will be less of the higher end SKUs. I'm not as worried as I was before about having to wait months to get one. The 5600X and 5900X will probably be the easiest to get because AMD can use CCX's with failed cores and disable them. The 5800X and 5950X require a perfect 8-core grouping to produce (two in the case of the 5950X). I think that's also why the 5800X is technically the 'worst' value proposition in the current lineup, despite still being an outstanding CPU. 5950X will be the lowest volume both due to price and the fact it needs two perfect 8-core CCX's.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-09-2020 at 01:05 PM.

I see Memex now has a website banner saying Ryzen 5000 is final sale - surprising they are stooping that low on a product that probably has 100 people begging to buy it the instant it is returned. Am I missing something? Seems like the only possible outcome is pissing off customers with no upside.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I see Memex now has a website banner saying Ryzen 5000 is final sale - surprising they are stooping that low on a product that probably has 100 people begging to buy it the instant it is returned. Am I missing something? Seems like the only possible outcome is pissing off customers with no upside.
    Guessing they had a bunch of 3070 or 3080 returns

Guessing they had a bunch of 3070 or 3080 returns
    Could be, but wouldn't those have all re-sold instantly even as open box parts at full MSRP? People are still clamoring for them and memex has no 3070/3080 stock. The chances of getting a defective CPU have got to be pretty much zero as there is much less to go wrong compared to a GPU.

Oh well haha, Memex continues their downhill slide. It's probably at the point now where Calgary would be ripe for a competitor in that space, even something like Canada Computers opening a retail location here.

My Ride

I'm okay with backing Amazon and Jeff Bezos as our lord and saviour when it comes to buying computer parts, if only they actually received any zen 3 stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I'm okay with backing Amazon and Jeff Bezos as our lord and saviour when it comes to buying computer parts, if only they actually received any zen 3 stock.
    Apparently in the case of Amazon, USA stock was prioritized and Canada hasn't even got their first shipment yet. I have the 5950X amazon page open for refreshing and a stock alert as well but of course nothing yet. I would love for it to become available on Amazon before Memex calls me.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

I'm confused by the X570 and B550 boards... if they are similarily prices why do people get the 550?

Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast