Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 43 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 43 of 66 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That RAM would be fine. Timings aren't as good as this one: https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-2...-858-_-Product

But not worth an extra $100 unless you're really trying to optimize your build.
    I picked up two packs of this gskill for my 5900. The quality feels super premium including the software.
    If your looking to buy this memx has it for a bit cheaper then newegg.

Also what king of temps are you guys getting on your 5 series while gaming?
    Last edited by scboss; 03-25-2021 at 02:01 AM.
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    06 S2000

I've been using the same 850w semi-modular PSU for my last 3 builds.
    Been using the same case for ~ 9 years.
    I pretty much refresh my PC in batches.
    You have to replace the cpu/mobo/ram at the same time, but you can reuse all the old parts, like HDD, GPU, PSU, etc. Then you can add on a new SSD/NVME here or there, upgrade your GPU whenever you want, etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That's definitely more encouraging them. I have a Corsair HX750 which looks to be suitable still to run a 3080 whenever that is in stock again.

I do want a smaller case and fortunately those aren't very expensive. Looking at the Phantek 360A or 400A, they look very similar except the cheaper one can accommodate a top mount radiator...
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by scboss View Post
    I picked up two packs of this gskill for my 5900. The quality feels super premium including the software.

I agree - quality and performance seems to be excellent. It is also Samsung B-die so you have the best available platform for compatibility or any future overclocking endeavors. The similar 16-19-19 kit is not B-die and it's hardly any cheaper. Plug & play with XMP as well. I haven't been using it for a super long time but I don't anticipate any issues. I was using very similar RAM for the last ~5 years as well. I couldn't care less about RGB but I don't think they offer any other variants.

As for CPU temps, I have a 5950X and when playing COD/Warzone average temps are usually in the 60's. The GPU is doing most of the heavy lifting anyway at 1440P. The 5950X will usually run cooler than other CPUs though because they are the highest binned silicon as AMD needs 2 perfect 8-core CCX's to make them. Cooling is a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax with Kryonaut thermal paste.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    That's definitely more encouraging them. I have a Corsair HX750 which looks to be suitable still to run a 3080 whenever that is in stock again.

I do want a smaller case and fortunately those aren't very expensive. Looking at the Phantek 360A or 400A, they look very similar except the cheaper one can accommodate a top mount radiator...
    That PSU will be more than enough for a 5900X and 3080. If it's still working I would use it in another build without a second thought. It also has a 10-year warranty.

RE: top mount radiator, I never bother with water cooling because you need a 280mm+ Rad to outperform a good air cooler, they are usually louder, they offer no passive cooling should something ever fail without you noticing, and there is always the risk of a leak. They also don't last super long as permeation and corrosion are both issues over time - in theory you should be replacing your coolant every ~3-4 years or so but I don't know how many people actually bother. With an air cooler they last forever and you can easily replace a fan if it ever breaks. Also for people who leave their PC's on 24/7 or while on vacation I think air is a lot less stressful.

My Ride
    TypeR

It may not be small enough for you but I just transferred everything into a lian li mini. Super awesome because it can take a full atx board still and is very customizable. I think it was $150, only downside is you need your own fans.
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles-page...-review,9.html

750 watt will only be cutting it close if you plan on overclocking. Also make sure to get an extra cable if your psu didn't come with three. Most sfx psu's only come with two.

As for CPU temps, I have a 5950X and when playing COD/Warzone average temps are usually in the 60's. The GPU is doing most of the heavy lifting anyway at 1440P. The 5950X will usually run cooler than other CPUs though because they are the highest binned silicon as AMD needs 2 perfect 8-core CCX's to make them. Cooling is a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax with Kryonaut thermal paste.

That PSU will be more than enough for a 5900X and 3080. If it's still working I would use it in another build without a second thought. It also has a 10-year warranty.

RE: top mount radiator, I never bother with water cooling because you need a 280mm+ Rad to outperform a good air cooler, they are usually louder, they offer no passive cooling should something ever fail without you noticing, and there is always the risk of a leak. They also don't last super long as permeation and corrosion are both issues over time - in theory you should be replacing your coolant every ~3-4 years or so but I don't know how many people actually bother. With an air cooler they last forever and you can easily replace a fan if it ever breaks. Also for people who leave their PC's on 24/7 or while on vacation I think air is a lot less stressful.

I tried running a mini itx board with my old 360 rad as an exhaust but it was hitting mid to high 80s, pretty sure it was from heat off my gpu. Ended up returning the mobo for the hero 8 and picking up a 240mm rad. I run the rad as a push/pull intake and it dropped the temps 10-15c

It is actually crazy coming from a i7 9700k I gained 20fps in cod black ops. The boost clock on the 5900x is insane if your cooling can handle it.
    Last edited by scboss; 03-26-2021 at 03:53 AM.

Different part numbers. The MemEX G.Skill has Timings / Latency 16-19-19-39
    whereas the one Mitsu3000gt linked on Newegg is Timing 16-16-16-36

I tried running a mini itx board with my old 360 rad as an exhaust but it was hitting mid to high 80s, pretty sure it was from heat off my gpu. Ended up returning the mobo for the hero 8 and picking up a 240mm rad. I run the rad as a push/pull intake and it dropped the temps 10-15c

It is actually crazy coming from a i7 9700k I gained 20fps in cod black ops. The boost clock on the 5900x is insane if your cooling can handle it.
    What boosts are you seeing and have you used the curve optimizer for an undervolt? The 5900X should respond even better to an undervolt. I am only using a value of -10 because the 5950X's come mostly optimized from the factory but you should be able to get -20 or -30 on some of not all cores on a 5900x. Should make a significant difference to your boost frequencies if you aren't already doing that. The curve optimizer goes hand in hand with PBO2 and I love that manually overclocking is basically a thing of the past now that AMD builds it in to work perfectly within cooling and power limits.

I am seeing maximum boost of about 4.6GHz all core and ~5.2Ghz single core on my 5950X.

And yeah, I got roughly the same 20fps boost in CoD (~15%) along with much more stable minimums. The game just runs better overall even in the menus, no more 2-3 second lag spikes when joining a game etc. And about 100W less power consumption despite now having double the cores haha. It's Photoshop and DaVinci Resolve where the gains are most noticeable, a lot of things are more than twice as fast which is game changing for me.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-26-2021 at 10:21 AM.

My Ride
    WRX STI

So the more I'm putting a build list together, the more expensive I realize this is going to be lol

Would anyone want the 5900x I have on hold at M/E?
    Ooh possibly!

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by S-FLY View Post
    Different part numbers. The MemEX G.Skill has Timings / Latency 16-19-19-39
    whereas the one Mitsu3000gt linked on Newegg is Timing 16-16-16-36
    Oh snap I didn't notice that! Would there be a massive difference with this setup? I'm guessing better oc potential?

What boosts are you seeing and have you used the curve optimizer for an undervolt? The 5900X should respond even better to an undervolt. I am only using a value of -10 because the 5950X's come mostly optimized from the factory but you should be able to get -20 or -30 on some of not all cores on a 5900x. Should make a significant difference to your boost frequencies if you aren't already doing that. The curve optimizer goes hand in hand with PBO2 and I love that manually overclocking is basically a thing of the past now that AMD builds it in to work perfectly within cooling and power limits.

I am seeing maximum boost of about 4.6GHz all core and ~5.2Ghz single core on my 5950X.
    I only used ryzen masters oc mode so far. I did some research
    after seeing what you achieved and undervolting is definitely the way to go. EDIT( i was already over on single core) From what I've seen it can go over 4.8. I'm gonna try this out tomorrow especially if it will give performance and potentially drop temps.
    Last edited by scboss; 03-28-2021 at 12:52 AM.

My Ride
    TypeR

under volting -20, -30 vs stock

Stock
    Name:  noOC.png
Views: 330
Size:  14.3 KB
    UV -20
    Name:  UV20.png
Views: 342
Size:  15.3 KB
    UV -30
    Name:  uv30.png
Views: 332
Size:  14.9 KB

I average slightly higher MHZ for multi core and a higher single core while undervolting. Weird thing is in game actually suffered about 10% even though single core are higher at -30. Any idea why? -20 seems like sweet spot for temps/performance.
    Last edited by scboss; 03-28-2021 at 01:15 AM.

under volting -20, -30 vs stock

I average slightly higher MHZ for multi core and a higher single core while undervolting. Weird thing is in game actually suffered about 10% even though single core are higher at -30. Any idea why? -20 seems like sweet spot for temps/performance.
    Have you stress tested it? It's possible that certain cores didn't like the undervolt if you applied it globally, and you can go in and individually apply the curve optimized to each core one by one until you find the breaking point, then back off - that is a bit tedious though. For example some cores might be OK with -30 while others max out at -20.

How controlled was you in-game testing? It's odd that it's worse as literally all it's doing is allowing PBO2 to boost higher due to slightly more thermal headroom. Can you try something easily repeatable like Cinebench? You should see measurably better performance after.

You can also use the curve optimizer without PBO2 and the result will be the same clock speeds but better temperatures, but I think most people use it for performance haha.

My Ride
    TypeR

Have you stress tested it? It's possible that certain cores didn't like the undervolt if you applied it globally, and you can go in and individually apply the curve optimized to each core one by one until you find the breaking point, then back off - that is a bit tedious though. For example some cores might be OK with -30 while others max out at -20.

How controlled was you in-game testing? It's odd that it's worse as literally all it's doing is allowing PBO2 to boost higher due to slightly more thermal headroom. Can you try something easily repeatable like Cinebench? You should see measurably better performance after.

You can also use the curve optimizer without PBO2 and the result will be the same clock speeds but better temperatures, but I think most people use it for performance haha.
    That sounds very tedious hahaha
    Used Cinebench and -30 actually crashed the software so must have been to low. -25 seems like the sweet spot scores were 1571 vs 1619 single core and -9c (63c) while testing.
    These new amd chips are pretty solid!

That sounds very tedious hahaha
    Used Cinebench and -30 actually crashed the software so must have been to low. -25 seems like the sweet spot scores were 1571 vs 1619 single core and -9c (63c) while testing.
    These new amd chips are pretty solid!
    Yeah I wouldn't want to manually set every single core unless I absolutely had to haha. That would be a lot of work.

Glad you seemed to get it working - sounds like -30 was just a bit too spicy for some of the cores. More performance with lower temps, what more could you want. The 5900x and 5600X have the most headroom for the curve optimizer.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-29-2021 at 12:31 AM.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Ugh, called the NW Memex on Friday and they told me that their supply of 3080's has dropped, they're now only getting 1-2 cards per week. They've got people from October still waiting for a card. Debating on getting on a 6800XT list to try to maximize my chances.

My Ride
    2017 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Ugh, called the NW Memex on Friday and they told me that their supply of 3080's has dropped, they're now only getting 1-2 cards per week. They've got people from October still waiting for a card. Debating on getting on a 6800XT list to try to maximize my chances.
    I did the same 2 weeks ago. On the list for a 6800 xt now.

No real reason not to get a 6800XT instead unless you are buying it for creative work, then Nvidia has a significant lead still. Trades blows with a 3080 and is a full 20% faster in some titles (some titles the 3080 is also faster). 60% more VRAM too, so should anything change in the future, you'll probably be covered.

My Ride
    2017 GTI

Wonder what the wait list is for the 6800 xt's compared to the 3080s.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Ive been trying to get a 6800XT reference card for months now. AMD drops about 3 units a week it seems, so far impossible to get.

I really, really, dont want to pay scalper prices for AIB cards but damn.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Ive been trying to get a 6800XT reference card for months now. AMD drops about 3 units a week it seems, so far impossible to get.

I really, really, dont want to pay scalper prices for AIB cards but damn.
    Compusoft in Red Deer had a 6800 and 6800XT on the shelf when I was there a couple weeks ago. Don't remember pricing, but it wasn't outrageous.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Zzzzzz, still waiting for my 3060ti lol.

Don't even know how many people are still in front of me at this point. Was 8th in line when I went on the waitlist.

MemEx Dalhousie told me they stopped putting people on waitlists.

Page 43 of 66 FirstFirst ... 33 42 43 44 53 ... LastLast