Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 65 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 55 64 65 66 LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1319

Thread: PC Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im gonna order the y40 after measuring - the Y60 takes too much space.
    Attachment 112266

Still tempted by the 12/13gen Intel but dithering, I suppose I did buy the K so I could overclock a bit - maybe it's time to try
    Yep, came to the same conclusion myself. I looked at a bunch of 60 and 40 builds on PCPP, and I'm going to put my upgrade build in a black 40.

My Ride
    Silverado

looking to upgrade the pc I gave my nephew. have a new mobo/cpu/ram setup, but could use a decent case or a modular 750-850 watt psu. If you have any 3-5 year old gear around let me know,

My Ride
    06 S2000

Semi related, almost finished my server rack. Just waiting on a 1U Rpi mount, but this is it, in it's almost finished glory:
    Name:  IMG20230414193023.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  119.8 KBName:  IMG20230414194025.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  180.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Server for media streaming?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Server for media streaming?
    Server for storage (NAS), and then 6 node kubernetes cluster. 2x UPS, UDM, samsung smartthings hub, and a 24port (18x PoE) unmanaged switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Here she is!

Name:  FAC2C693-F545-40D1-A205-7AC537500D8C.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  139.5 KB
    Name:  2E52C9F6-418E-42ED-B315-2DEECA5347D8.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  120.6 KB
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That thing is huge! Does it idle at like 15 C haha
    Ultracrepidarian

Nice. That's a lot of fans, lol.

What kind of rig are you replacing? I can't imagine spending that kind of scratch on a 4090, lol.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    That thing is huge! Does it idle at like 15 C haha
    Yah it's a big ass case. BUT, I'm still waiting on the 7950x3D chip to arrive. Just put a 7900x in to get it started and the OS installed and GPU tested. 7950x3D was a bitch to track down for some time but got one coming from Toronto a couple days ago. Should be here today or Monday.

There is a total of 15 fans not including the GPU. I wanted to stay with a thermaltake design/white colour scheme but the TH360 AIO was a little fucky for this case as the tubes are just a bit short for a larger sized case. So what we did was mounted the 3 vertical RGB 120 fans that come with the cooler to the rad and then mounted the rad to 3 non-rgb fans. And then we mounted that to the case so the cooler is now in a push-pull configuration. This brings the rad out from the mounting wall and gave us a bit more slack in the tubing.

Had a bit of debate over the air flow but ended up with the 3 top and 3 bottom 120's as intake, two 200's at the front as intake. Push/pull cooler exhaust and single 120 at the back is exhaust. Found most users of this case online had a similar set up.

This is essentially my "money is no object" build and what I hope is my final PC for a long time, save for maybe a CPU upgrade when the time/performance warrants.

Here is the overkill specs lol:

Thermaltake CS CA-1Q6-00M6WN-00 View 51 Snow Full Tower

FSP Hydro PTM 1200W PCIe5 Power Supply

MSI MB MPG X670E CARBON WIFI Socket AM5

AMD RYZEN 9 7950X3D

Kingston Beast 32GB RGB (2x16GB) 6000MHz DDR5 (EXPO)

Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB PCIe4 NVMe M.2 SSD

Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB PCIe4 NVMe M.2 SSD

MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB Video Card

MS Windows 11 Home 64 bit OEM

Thermaltake TH360 ARGB Sync Snow Edition AIO Liquid Cooler
    Last edited by 16hypen3sp; 04-21-2023 at 03:56 PM.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What a beast! If you're being honest with yourself about 'final PC for a long time', you'd be surprised how long they last. My previous build was in 2011 which was pretty cutting edge at the time and lasted me 10 years with mainly hard drive upgrades for capacity.

Buuut temptation will always be there! Good luck to you sir.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Biggest upgrade you can do on any 2-3+ year old computer is a full format and reinstall. Night and day difference cleaning out all the shit over the years. Even moreso true for family and other less tech savvy people that click install on every stupid thing. Start fresh and you can easily go way longer than most people think between upgrades. Especially nowadays where we’ve hit a wall of performance and only small gains each generation.

Will probably do a Sabrent PCIE to NVME for an old system.

NVME are so cheap now that they are competitive with SATA SSD, so might as well get the adapter card and get 6x the speed. Only thing is, many mobos do not support boot from PCIE.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

For all the gamers out there. 8GB VRAM is no longer enough. Nvidia is starting to lose to AMD with next gen games not because of "speed" but because they have been underspeccing VRAM for years now.

The Steam Deck actually runs Hogwarts pretty well at low settings just because it can shift 12GB to VRAM and 4GB to CPU, which is a better way to run games as the future rolls in. Sad that a 3070 has massive stuttering issues.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Does anyone here put much stock in the opinion of some of the usual suspects PC YT channels, that mounting an AIO cooler vertically is "bad" if the hoses aren't coming out of the bottom end of the unit? I have a 360 AIO in my system with a 4090 in it mounted on top, and now I'm not sure if the other PC we have that I'm upgrading, will allow the hoses to even clear the new 4090 I have for that box, if I mount it vertically. I've always had my AIO mounted up top, but the new case I have won't fit the AIO I have up there, only mounted vertically at the front.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Does anyone here put much stock in the opinion of some of the usual suspects PC YT channels, that mounting an AIO cooler vertically is "bad" if the hoses aren't coming out of the bottom end of the unit? I have a 360 AIO in my system with a 4090 in it mounted on top, and now I'm not sure if the other PC we have that I'm upgrading, will allow the hoses to even clear the new 4090 I have for that box, if I mount it vertically. I've always had my AIO mounted up top, but the new case I have won't fit the AIO I have up there, only mounted vertically at the front.
    How much you loose is debatable - pretty sure GN did a bunch of testing. If you're in the y40, with tubes to top - you'll hear some noise - air bubbles in the pump. With a 4090 you might not even hear it over the fans. Worst that'll happen is you need a bit more airflow and your pump life might be a touch shorter. If you can make it fit get the tubes to the bottom.

The worst scenario is the bottom rad and top pump - that's the one you absolutely should avoid.

My Ride
    Silverado

As long as the pump isn't the high point in the system you should be fine.will be noisier for sure

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    AIO cooler vertically is "bad"
    tl;dr - it's fine as long as the pump isn't the high point.

I guess when they build these AIO's in the factory, they have the rad laying horizontally and they hold the pump up above and then begin flooding it with liquid. This causes the air to be displaced, the entire loop is filled and then they button it up with the cold plate. They may also use vacuum pumps and the like. So there is little to no air when the cooler is "out of the box" condition. What GN was trying to drive home was radiator positioning and the process of permeation. Over quite a long period of time, gases may permeate into the loop and then collect in high points.

If your pump is the highest point in the loop, the gases will collect there causing excess wear and noise, lower thermal transfer.

The best rad location in terms of a VERTICAL mount is to have the hoses at the bottom but in most cases, the hoses aren't long enough, GPU could be in the way, etc, so you have to have the hoses at the top. So long as the top of the pump casing is below the hose location on the rad, the pump will remain flooded and it's good for a long time.

My old system has a Lian Li Galahad 360 mounted vertically with hoses at top and it's dead quiet, no pump noise, no air gurgling sounds at the hose locations on the rad. My new system has the same vertical set up and it's the same result - dead quiet.

JayzTwoCents did a good video explaining it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwA...l=JayzTwoCents
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    I guess when they build these AIO's in the factory, they have the rad laying horizontally and they hold the pump up above and then begin flooding it with liquid. This causes the air to be displaced, the entire loop is filled and then they button it up with the cold plate. They may also use vacuum pumps and the like. So there is little to no air when the cooler is "out of the box" condition. What GN was trying to drive home was radiator positioning and the process of permeation. Over quite a long period of time, gases may permeate into the loop and then collect in high points.
    Probably depends on manufacturer - my deepcool definitely has some air in it since brand new, but it was a budget AIO choice. That said - I rarely hear that chatter sound - notice it every once in a blue moon when I'm throwing some very parts heavy renders at it - the big noctua ramping up is more noticeable.

Ok, thanks for the responses. I kinda sorta figured as much. 16Hypen3sp - that's a great looking build btw, I've always wanted to do a white build, just haven't got around to that yet. I dig it.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Just upgraded my build, hilariously the guy at MemEx wouldn't sell me 64GB unless I told him I was doing Solidworks or something like that. Last build(4790k) lasted me 10 years, hoping this new one has just as much longevity. Was reaaaaallllly hard not to upgrade the past couple of years.
    7800x3D
    ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-Plus WiFi
    TridentZ 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30

Carried over my RTX3070.

Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 55 64 65 66 LastLast