PC Build Thread - Page 60 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 50 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1319

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you have a plex pass, you can use the GPU for transcoding. I have an unRAID server that splits my GPU between tdarr for h.265 conversion, plex, for on the fly transcoding, and t-rex, for when the card is idle.
    That being said, moar cores is always the answer for a homelab-esque PC. I haven't looked at the build, because apparently the site blocks you if you have a VPN enabled.

Edit: Just took a look. I don't think they're that mismatched. I'd rather go balls out on a CPU on an initial build, because I hate swapping them out down the line, so I'd rather it last a lot longer, whereas a GPU is easy to replace every gen (if that's what you want).
    A 3060 is a decent mid-range GPU. Build looks overall decent to me.
    Having an AORUS Gigabyte board, I much prefer the MSI bios functionality, but that's a preference thing.
    Also, 1000w is huge overkill. I think I have an 850w driving a Ryzen 7 + 3080 + several SSD/HDD/NVME, and have no power issues whatsoever. Keep in mind efficiency is in the 80% range, so if you go with a bigger PSU and you're not using it to that potential, you're using more power than you need.
    Efficiency is 87-90% on 115V so it won't be bad. The difference in this case was $20 so I'd rather opt for a 1000W at 50-60% load than 850W at 70-80% load. 50% is the sweet spot for efficiency anyways

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Make sure that your intended usage actually can utilize more cores. 3060 is a really good card and great value.

Where can you get a 5950 for $700 though?!
    5950X was $700 at MemEx, Newegg and Amazon week and a half ago. the 5900x was $500
    Amazon has it for $779 and MemEx has it for $1100. You could still get it for cheap(ish) if you go to MemEx and ask for a price match
    With AM5 right around the corner, I assume this was AMD being proactive and trying to clear out stock before AM5 shows up supposedly in September for China (got that off Gamers Nexus)
    Last edited by Asian_defender; 06-29-2022 at 09:49 AM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I should replace my 3700x.. One day. Maybe.
    And upgrade my NVME drives.. One day.
    I should stop looking now.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

BTW thanks for the tip on the GPU transcoding with Plex Pass. I think I'll finally pick up a Plex Pass now LOL

My Ride
    06 S2000

I grabbed one of the lifetime ones back in like... 2016? At the time it was $99 USD. Well worth it.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Yeah GPU transcoding with Plex is way better. Most newer gen GPU's can handle dozen or more transcodes at once without sweating versus needing a beefy CPU to keep up. Especially if you do 4k.

That being said, you can also use handbrake to format your whole library so everything is direct play and you don't need to transcode anything. That's the preferred method.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Yeah GPU transcoding with Plex is way better. Most newer gen GPU's can handle dozen or more transcodes at once without sweating versus needing a beefy CPU to keep up. Especially if you do 4k.

That being said, you can also use handbrake to format your whole library so everything is direct play and you don't need to transcode anything. That's the preferred method.
    tdarr is just automated handbrake.
    My car sounds like shit.

So I was really having a hard time coming to terms with spending a total of $650 on what I consider a disposable computer by going all new ($450) and adding the 1070 ($200).

These Lenova M900's seem to be a great dirt cheap option for all sorts of fun. The strix 1070 fits after some disassembly, and all that I need is a 500w power supply. So about $350 all in for a computer that can still play modern games on high 1080p settings. I'll post some benchmarks once I get the PSU tomorrow to see how well it all goes, but there are some pretty recent youtube reviews of such combos that rank it highly in bang for the buck.

Name:  Screenshot_20220701-164302~2.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  142.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

Is that the uncircumcised model?

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Is that the uncircumcised model?
    If we equate circumcision with being cheap (according to the learning I've read in that thread), then this computer definitely has the snip.

Name:  IMG_20220705_234226.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  345.9 KB

Costs:
    $120 computer
    $30 used psu
    $30 psu adapter (lenova mobo uses a proprietary 10 pin power connector, you can repin the 24 pin connector yourself but f that)
    $200 GTX 1070

$380 all in. The PC build I posted earlier would have been ~$400+ before gpu and there were still other bits and pieces I would have needed.
    Last edited by zechs; 07-07-2022 at 02:21 PM.
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

Might as well keep this going; thoughts on the current GPU market?

I'm tempted to pick up a 6900XT for $900cdn brand new. Based on Nvidia's pricing reveal for msrp on their new 4XXX cards, I do not think used/new prices on 3XXX cards will be dropping much. AMD seems to be slashing prices much more willingly.

Would you wait longer or buy now? Think sales will be the best on Black Friday? I don't "need" a card, but after seeing how well it worked out for 1080Ti owners being able to play triple A games at max settings for 5+ years, I'd like a similiar experience, and I think a 6900XT can get me there. RDNA3 is being announced on November 3rd, I wonder how long RDNA 2 cards will continue to be produced?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

EVGA broke ties with Nvidia. Really sucks, I like EVGA
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I'd probably scoop a 3xxx series card that's being dumped for cheap now that GPU mining is no longer feasible. Should be able to scoop a decent deal once the 4xxx cards are released.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

I'd wait. Prices have to come down soon. Many card makers were capitalizing on the crypto mining rush, but since 'the merge' many cryptocurrencies no longer use GPUs to mine. Food for thought

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    EVGA broke ties with Nvidia. Really sucks, I like EVGA
    Only USA company out of all GPU makers. Not surprised. Economy and low margin aside, last thing I want is FBI breathing down my neck selling AI equipment to China.

Still rocking my EVGA 1080ti FTW2. Too late to grab one of those EVGA 3090ti for $1400 from CanadaComputer.

Hard to say if 4xxx series is worth it until benchmark comes out. But they are trickling them in is basically buying time for people to give up and buy a 3000 series card so NVIDIA can clear their rumor 2 year worth of stock on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    I'd wait. Prices have to come down soon. Many card makers were capitalizing on the crypto mining rush, but since 'the merge' many cryptocurrencies no longer use GPUs to mine. Food for thought
    Used market is pretty good. But I am not sure if I can trust their cleaning method....
    Name:  nQgma88rAKzRwZ2p6mXmHg-970-80.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  61.1 KB

I swear Jensen did that viral clip himself to discourage used GPU sales.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-24-2022 at 12:41 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I do have a 3060 non-ti for sale if anyone wants. I did mine with it for about 3 months but then it started warming up my 3d printer room too much so it’s just been idle ever since as it runs the printers and laser cutter. Going to move the 3d printer slicing software over to my home assistant server and get rid of a computer. PM if anyone interested in the card for fairly cheap. Or even the whole PC though I’d have to see what’s in the rest of it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

$1,400 for a $3090 Ti breaks my heart. I paid $1,000 more for the non-Ti version lol. Looks like I'm keeping that until it dies...
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ford F150

Prices are falling and they will keep falling and falling.....until stock runs out and you miss the boat. Goes for current gen GPUs and everything else.

You'll save money by waiting. But you might miss the boat if you wait too long.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Prices are falling and they will keep falling and falling.....until stock runs out and you miss the boat. Goes for current gen GPUs and everything else.

You'll save money by waiting. But you might miss the boat if you wait too long.
    It's always a gamble before new gen announcement. In this case, I think it's a good deal unless you are crazy on RTX on the 4000 series. But nobody knows until cards land on people's hands.

That's the situation I'm in ^^^

My theory is that 1080/1080Ti levels of cost/performance factoring in inflation is acceptable. The 6900XT meets that requirement.

But being a student now, I reallllllly want to wait until Black Friday. Then I'm reminded $200 savings is nothing in the grand scheme, so maybe I'll just pull the trigger and buy a PSU on black friday

My Ride
    4x4

Just curious, was eyeballing one of the NAS/Plex commercial offerings. Feed the tv and local backups/shared drive system.

Kinda leaning towards an itx sized build to live in the tv stand... Any thoughts on how to spec it out?

Been back and forthing between the options, still no idea what to do. I know I could probably just use an old PC but - eyeballing doing something right I can ignore for a long time lol

Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 50 59 60 61 ... LastLast