PC Build Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    Silverado

Yes to all of the above

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Coming from an i7 2600k, Asus P8P67 and 32GB G.SKILL Sniper Series RAM, I've been waiting for a substantial upgrade and it seems like Ryzen is head and shoulders better than Intel at this point (https://www.techradar.com/news/leake...ntel-i5-10600k).

So in order to change systems, would I need a new CPU, Mobo and RAM? I could keep my hard drives, cooling unit (https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Catego.../CW-9060021-WW) and GPU?
    Just CPU and Mobo technically, but Ryzen benefits massively from fast RAM, where the sweet spot is 3600Mhz. if your RAM is the same vintage as your 2600K, it could probably use updating. Timings don't matter as much. If you want to keep your RAM anyway, at least make sure you check it on the QVL of whatever mobo you buy to make sure it's compatible.

CPU Cooler you can keep too as long as it has an AM4 socket bracket (should be easy to get if it wasn't included with the H100i).

GPU you can use no problem.

Drives you can use no problem.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Coming from an i7 2600k, Asus P8P67 and 32GB G.SKILL Sniper Series RAM, I've been waiting for a substantial upgrade and it seems like Ryzen is head and shoulders better than Intel at this point
    Ive got basically the exact same processor and motherboard with less ram, all from 2012.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Just CPU and Mobo technically, but Ryzen benefits massively from fast RAM, where the sweet spot is 3600Mhz. if your RAM is the same vintage as your 2600K, it could probably use updating. Timings don't matter as much. If you want to keep your RAM anyway, at least make sure you check it on the QVL of whatever mobo you buy to make sure it's compatible.

CPU Cooler you can keep too as long as it has an AM4 socket bracket (should be easy to get if it wasn't included with the H100i).

GPU you can use no problem.

Drives you can use no problem.
    2600k was DDR3, they need new RAM

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    2600k was DDR3, they need new RAM
    I think you're right, thanks for the correction. 2011 was a long time ago
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-21-2020 at 09:18 AM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

So, time has come, I am going to start building my new desktop. Want it to be a pretty decent computer, able to stream, play video games, act as a minecraft server for the kids, able to push a 3D printer etc...

I am going to piece meal this together over the next few months. I figure because things change so rapidly, I should start with the things that are pretty standard over time, like getting a big case, fans, and a decent PSU.

And yeah, I want the blingy flashy stuff too lol

Was thinking about this case? seems like it is pretty good, and has lots of room for whatever I choose down the road... https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX79211

Thoughts?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    So, time has come, I am going to start building my new desktop. Want it to be a pretty decent computer, able to stream, play video games, act as a minecraft server for the kids, able to push a 3D printer etc...

I am going to piece meal this together over the next few months. I figure because things change so rapidly, I should start with the things that are pretty standard over time, like getting a big case, fans, and a decent PSU.

And yeah, I want the blingy flashy stuff too lol

Was thinking about this case? seems like it is pretty good, and has lots of room for whatever I choose down the road... https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX79211

Thoughts?
    Great case, but you have to supply all your own fans if that is an issue.

People don't put nearly enough effort into case selection as they should IMO, especially with how much they can affect thermals.

I just bought a Phanteks P500a. It has the best combination of cooling performance, noise performance, and quality that I have seen so far. There is an RGB version too if you want. If you don't need lots of HDD bays, you can also look at the Cooler Master H500P Mesh but the P500a is a better case.

If you want quiet over cooling, look at the Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900v2 - it compares well with the 011D XL.

I was a Fractal fan for a long time, they still make good cases but others are as good or better these days.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-22-2020 at 02:49 PM.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Ive got a Phanteks P400 and I love it. So well constructed and thought out. The cable management and LED control is awesome as well.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Are the stock fans in these cases at the Noctua level?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Nope.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Great case, but you have to supply all your own fans if that is an issue.

People don't put nearly enough effort into case selection as they should IMO, especially with how much they can affect thermals.

I just bought a Phanteks P500a. It has the best combination of cooling performance, noise performance, and quality that I have seen so far. There is an RGB version too if you want. If you don't need lots of HDD bays, you can also look at the Cooler Master H500P Mesh but the P500a is a better case.

If you want quiet over cooling, look at the Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900v2 - it compares well with the 011D XL.

I was a Fractal fan for a long time, they still make good cases but others are as good or better these days.
    Yeah, I don't mind buying the fans. I want a bigger case so that I can put anything I want into it.

As far as fans go, I am waiting until I decide if I want to do water cooling, or just stick with air. If I go with a radiator setup, it will come with fans, so purchasing a bunch of fans I won't use seems dumb.

And I figure a 750w power supply should be sufficient for whatever I choose for my other components.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Silverado

what's the probability of springing a leak in a water cooling system? Seems like a good way to ruin a bunch of components

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Seems like the radiator units are pretty good now. Linus Tech Tips seems to install one everytime he does a pc build lately.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    what's the probability of springing a leak in a water cooling system? Seems like a good way to ruin a bunch of components
    If you buy quality components and leak test everything its pretty minimal risk. The pump/rad and maybe reservoir would be the only thing I'd see a higher chance of leaking. Typically you mount those off to the side so any dripping would go away from electronics. Most of the quality waterblocks and pretty reliable.

Watercooling has come a long way from a decade ago when it was enthusiast only and people hacking things together. Lots of factory OEMs have watercooling on their high end specs.

Are the stock fans in these cases at the Noctua level?
    No, but some are close. For example BeQuiet! and Fractal's highest end fans in their most expensive cases are very good, probably not worth swapping out even if Noctua's are slightly better. Corsair ML (Mag lev) Pro fans are also excellent, I actually went with those in my last build because shit-brown didn't fit my desired aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Yeah, I don't mind buying the fans. I want a bigger case so that I can put anything I want into it.

As far as fans go, I am waiting until I decide if I want to do water cooling, or just stick with air. If I go with a radiator setup, it will come with fans, so purchasing a bunch of fans I won't use seems dumb.

And I figure a 750w power supply should be sufficient for whatever I choose for my other components.

The D11 XL is a great case then, and the hot swappable drive bays are cool if you need that sort of thing.

An air cooler like the NH-D15 has equivalent cooling surface area to about a 280mm AIO, plus the fans help cool your RAM and VRMs. Unless you plan on doing heavy overclocking you can probably just stick to air (if you want) and avoid all the AIO disadvantages. Also if this is a PC you leave on 24/7 or while you're away from the house, that is a strong argument for air.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Many AIOs will die or suffer coolant permeation by the 6yr mark or earlier. Cheaper coolers also use crappy coolant that degrades the tubing and cold plates much sooner than that. If you want to be completely safe, you should be replacing your AIO every ~3 years which is a very expensive and annoying proposition, and still not a guarantee. Also if you leave your PC on 24/7 or unattended for long periods of time I would not go with an AIO. Unless you go 280-360mm and plan to OC, there is no real performance advantage over Air. The big radiators are dust magnets too, I don't like cleaning them. I think the longest AIO warranty is 6 years (NZXT) but good luck actually claiming anything if it leaks and wrecks the PC.

In regards to fans

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Nope.
    RJ is correct. Having went through the build process in the spring, nothing touches Noctua. Yes, I do have some Arctic fans in my build still just because I was sick and tired of returning and buying new stuff.

Noctua also offers most of its fans in black now I believe if brown doesn't suit your tastes.

To reiterate, there is no comparison, Noctua is the best time and time again. There may be better fans for a specific situation, but overall, for quiet operation that still moves air, Noctua's are the best.

If you buy all Noctua's, realistically your next noise focus will be the gpu. I don't really remember if any of the reviewers do fan noise analysis from different manufacturers, but dear god gpu's running at full tilt are noisy. I have a vega56 that is undervolted and have custom tuned the fan profile, fans never spin over 1400rpm, very quiet even under full load.

As for Corsair ML Pros, they are complete shit. Memex didn't have the Noctuas or Arctics I wanted, so I bought those. Promptly returned them, loud as hell.

I do agree with the AOI. I went with one, but then changed out the fans because again, loud as get out. When I could have just went with the DH15 and called it a day likely.
    Last edited by zechs; 10-23-2020 at 10:39 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks guys. I assume most (or all?) cases come with their own fans or can you typically order a case without and save some cash?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Thanks guys. I assume most (or all?) cases come with their own fans or can you typically order a case without and save some cash?
    Most cases come with one or two fans but often have expansion slots where you could add additional fans. Oddly some of the higher end cases actually don't include any fans as they expect the customer to choose their own. Some people opt for RGB ones, others focus on quiet, etc so it gives more flexibility.

It's a mishmash. There are cheap cases with/without fans and premium cases with/without fans. The premium cases that do include fans usually include pretty good ones (I.e. BeQuiet Dark Base cases). I would say more cases than not come with 2-3 fans. Some cases even include PSUs but they are often junk.

The Corsair ML Pro fans are silent up to around 1000-1500rpm which is why I chose them. They are loud at their maximum 2400 RPM but nobody in their right mind would let them run that high in a normal usage case. Honestly any 'premium' fan is going to be just fine, you can choose between quieter with slightly less air flow or louder with slightly more airflow. Static pressure is more important if you are trying to force air through something like a radiator or restrictive case, otherwise high CFM / Low noise is usually ideal.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I am planning to go all blacked out Noctua on my next build as I hope to grow out of my LED obsession. Also an open case like this.

https://www.amazon.ca/Thermaltake-He...471964&sr=8-10

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast