Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm confused by the X570 and B550 boards... if they are similarily prices why do people get the 550?
    There's different levels of features within both chipsets. Some B550 boards have more features at the same price point than a X570. X570 is really only key if you want PCIE4.0

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    There's different levels of features within both chipsets. Some B550 boards have more features at the same price point than a X570. X570 is really only key if you want PCIE4.0
    Does PCIE 4.0 mean futureproofing? Or will we likely see new chipset before the next set of CPU's worth upgrading to?

Sorry for the questions... Im currently using a i5-6600 and looking to upgrade likely to the 5600x. AMD seems to do things a bit differently.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Does PCIE 4.0 mean futureproofing? Or will we likely see new chipset before the next set of CPU's worth upgrading to?

Sorry for the questions... Im currently using a i5-6600 and looking to upgrade likely to the 5600x. AMD seems to do things a bit differently.
    PCIE 4.0 has a lot more bandwidth BUT ... I don't know when it'd actually be necessary. The new SSD's like the 980 PRO have much higher read/write speeds but I haven't really seen much real world differences. The gtx 3090 didn't need 4.0 either so unless you are expecting to buy the next gen flagship model I doubt you'd ever need it for a GPU either.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    PCIE 4.0 has a lot more bandwidth BUT ... I don't know when it'd actually be necessary. The new SSD's like the 980 PRO have much higher read/write speeds but I haven't really seen much real world differences. The gtx 3090 didn't need 4.0 either so unless you are expecting to buy the next gen flagship model I doubt you'd ever need it for a GPU either.
    Theoretically, the gtx 3090 can produce the 1TB/s data required to saturate a 3.0 16x slot is my understanding.

Not that it means a lot, but that's what my research has lead me to believe. I agree with you, 4.0 isn't necessary unless a person has a ton of peripheral PCIE hardware.

It does, but how much it matters to you is another question.

PCIe 4.0 SSDs have been out for a while now but there isn't a lot that can take advantage of them. Certain workstation tasks or transferring files between two PCI 4.0 drives can use the extra speed, but not much else (you will notice zero difference in games, for example).

As for GPUs, all the testing I have seen so far shows that 2X 2080Ti or 1X 3090 would not be limited even by a single PCI 3.0x16 slot and no improvement putting the card in a PCI 4.0 slot. It's kind of a "wait and see" thing with each generation of GPUs.

If you're doing a full new build though I would still buy a PCI 4.0 mobo and SSD, the price differences compared to 3.0 are minimal and then you're covered in case you need it down the road.

Canada Computers got another (tiny) batch of 5950X's in stock. I called the store that had them and the guy said they can't ship them unless they're in the online warehouse unfortunately. I talked to him for a bit though and he said their Ryzen shipments have been coming in steady every few days or so which is consistent with what other retailers have been saying as well.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Has anyone on here that backordered through Memex received their cpu since last week? Or spoken to anyone at Memex as to whether they've gotten any stock since launch day?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Has anyone on here that backordered through Memex received their cpu since last week? Or spoken to anyone at Memex as to whether they've gotten any stock since launch day?
    Backorders only opened yesterday at Memex to my knowledge (showed "out of stock" up until then on their website after launch day). I don't think you'll have to wait that long personally, most retailers seem to be saying they are getting regular stock, it's just selling out immediately or being used to fill pre-orders.

In other news the 3080Ti is all but official. Not really sure what the point of it is when the 3080 and 3090 were only 10% apart....seems like they are forcing a product to fill a 5% gap.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I had a backorder of the 5900x + mobo combo from the night before launch, still no word besides I was added to the backorder.

Intel is sending "hand picked" 10900K's to reviewers along with a Thermoelectric PC cooler (uses about 300W of power on top of the CPU), which lets you run them up to 5.8 GHz single core or around 5.5GHz multi-core. The timing is awfully suspicious given all the good press Ryzen is getting. I guess people with 1600W PSUs have something else to look at haha.

Spoiler: It still loses to the entry level 5600K in single core by a wide margin even with the AMD part running over 1GHz less clock speed.

---------------------------

In other news it looks like best RAM configuration for Ryzen has been confirmed to be the same as last time (no surprise as memory controllers are the same). Same as before, you either want 4X single rank or 2X dual rank, but not 2X single rank. 3600 CL16 is still the sweet spot, ideally some Samsung B-die and tighten up the timings further.

My Ride

Called the SE Memex for an update on my order/5900x's in general. Was told they haven't received any 5900x stock since launch and there was no ETA when they are receiving any.

So big ol' who knows/hurry up and wait. Guy on reddit posted last night saying the 5900x bundle he ordered the night before launch day from the NE store had the CPU in stock but was waiting on the mobo to come in, so he just went in and picked up the CPU.

Frustrating that it seems other locations are getting stock, Canada Computer locations across the country seem to be continuously getting stock of every chip from 5600 through 5950's.

I'm a bit surprised Memex seems to be one of the only Canadian stores not getting restocked as well. Hopefully they have a shipment coming in soon. Canada computers has had at least three waves of 5950X's come in since last week, and they sell out in about an hour.

Amazon kept all it's stock in the USA, at least for launch.

B&H has said they have so many pre-orders they will be filling them until the New Year but they are a worldwide store with a much larger market.

In other news, my Samsung 980 Pro arrived today, so now the only thing I am missing for my new build is.....a CPU

EDIT: Just refreshed CanadaComputers - their Vancouver location has 2 more 5950X's in stock This is painful haha. They are getting new stock almost every single day.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-12-2020 at 02:41 PM.

My Ride

Yeah that's brutal, I'd probably just buy a 5950x at this point if it were available locally, the CPU is the last missing piece of my build at the moment as well. Having a 3080 still in its box sit in a closet for over a month if painful.

Sucks that we don't have a Canada Computers or just anywhere else that is actually getting stock.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I got a 5800x if any of you wanna scoop for cost, unopened still but mem ex won't do returns. Bought as I thought I'd have the rest of my build ready but gonna wait for the new gpus anyways

I need a 5950X, thank you though.

Pretty sure I am going to pair it with a 6800XT or 6900XT as well, but I will wait until the new year until there is regular stock and to make sure everything is well supported (apparently, they will be). My 1080Ti will last a few more months haha.

3080Ti 20GB coming out too in January to I guess thread the 10% gap between a 3080 and 3090. Sucks for 3090 owners - they are basically paying $500 USD for 4GB RAM.

Looks like BestBuy is still the only place with 980 Pro's in stock if anyone wants one.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-12-2020 at 03:49 PM.

The MemEx store in Saskatoon told me they've had the new AMD cpus trickling in, they did have some as I know someone who got a 5900x from them. I'm still waiting like the rest of you for my backorder to be filled. I wish Canadacomputers would sell that 5950x, I phone the Vancouver store and told them I'd pay extra to have them ship it to me, and they just laughed.

CC Vancouver sold out now, but Burnaby has some now I wish they would just pop one in the mail for me haha. I called them too and they just politely told me they cant ship unless it's online store stock.

If I find any I'll post and let you know. Have all my 30xx cards now, 2 3090 and 1 3080, and I want to run some tests myself with the AMD 5900/5950 vs the 10900k. I trust Benchmark Reviews in YT, but he never tested the primary sim my PCs are used for, and the 10900k was close enough/faster in enough examples (not overall, but there were 2 in his tests out of 6 games) that I'd like to know which is faster in that particular application.

PC Canada shipped my G2 Reverb on the 10th, but it got stuck in weather so I may not get it before the weekend either, so double skunked this week so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    If I find any I'll post and let you know. Have all my 30xx cards now, 2 3090 and 1 3080, and I want to run some tests myself with the AMD 5900/5950 vs the 10900k. I trust Benchmark Reviews in YT, but he never tested the primary sim my PCs are used for, and the 10900k was close enough/faster in enough examples (not overall, but there were 2 in his tests out of 6 games) that I'd like to know which is faster in that particular application.

PC Canada shipped my G2 Reverb on the 10th, but it got stuck in weather so I may not get it before the weekend either, so double skunked this week so far.
    I'll do the same if I see any that we can actually buy haha. I'm tired of looking at a giant pile of PC parts that I can't assemble.

Keep in mind also that some reviewers had significantly different Ryzen 5000 benchmark results depending on what RAM configuration they used - enough to put one CPU ahead of the other or vise versa.

For games like MS Flight Sim I'm guessing the 5950X will be king as that game seems to love cores.

Does this look reasonable? CAD and gaming (flight sim and FPS at 1080P 144hz)...

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 289
Size:  120.3 KB
    dv/dt

Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast