Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 40 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 40 of 66 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Gave up on the new build and ended up getting this guy for $1200
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/as...t:techspecstab

Not going to lie, the 240hz screen is awesome and I'm digging the RGB. I'll wait for the chip shortage to be normal again before I finish my build

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How would you guys compare top tier AMD 5900/5950 vs i9? Is one better for specific uses or overall better at everything?
    AMD 5950 is better at everything, and tied in "some" games, especially in VR, with my 10900k. Digital Combat Simulator and a couple other flight sim I use VR for (MSFS, Il2, etc), are very close in terms of FPS performance while in VR (HP Reverb G2). I had a 5900x for a short period as well, very similar results to the 5950 (gaming), and still better at everything else than the 10900k. Non-VR games, there are a few where it's a close contest as well, but overall the results I see make me think the 5950x is better in gaming overall, using 3090 GPUs.

Rocket lake "may" be interesting, we'll see. Alder lake from Intel later this year might possibly catch up to AMD, or surpass it, although IMO it'll be 2022 before we see that.

I got a 5900x from MemEx Saskatoon @ retail pricing, paid an extra $200 for the 5950x from Korea ^^Keke^^, as I grew very tired of waiting, and it was only a 15% or so haircut over retail. The 5950x build has been the best home PC system I've owned, in many ways. Very glad to have AMD hardware again, it's been a long time, closing in on 20 years.

Gave up on the new build and ended up getting this guy for $1200
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/as...t:techspecstab

Not going to lie, the 240hz screen is awesome and I'm digging the RGB. I'll wait for the chip shortage to be normal again before I finish my build
    Good deal, I'd like to compare a 240hz laptop screen to the 144hz one I have now. Can't decide if I should go 4k, or stick to a lower res/1080p and a higher refresh rate, regarding the next laptop upgrade.

Mitsu - nice build, similar to my 5950x, ROG XHair VIII Hero and GPU being the only major difference. I have 4 SSDs as well, 2 980 Pro M.2 as well, and a couple Samsung 1TV Evos I still had kicking around. Did you shuck to get those 10gb drives? I have 2 4gb WD Blacks as my spinners, but wouldn't mind getting more storage space for those drives.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 03-08-2021 at 11:09 PM.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    You need to pick a specific card.
    Still on the waitlist since mid-Jan @ NW for the 3080.
    Ok yea I picked the gigabyte vision OC cause Im trying to keep my build silver/black themed (lol) the dude said 14 people on the list ahead of me. I'll keep waiting patiently

Thanks man, that's what my research was indicating as well. Some smart guys at work were really pointing me to the Intel i9 top cpus because they're relatively so much cheaper, but I don't upgrade often either...pros and cons.

I was already leaning AMD because I've read somewhere that there can be a performance boost when you buy all AMD centric motherboard and RAM.
    It's pretty hard to make a case for an Intel CPU this year, especially when their next big product release is likely to be a huge leap forward when they can get onto a smaller process node. Currently all their CPUs are still based on 6-year-old core architecture, and buying now would lock you into that old tech for years to come.

I think what is saving Intel's desktop CPU sales right now is the fact that Ryzen 5000 is in such high demand, so if anyone needs/wants a computer immediately, Intel is in stock if that person just needs a working computer and doesn't care what it is.

Regarding the performance boost, Ryzen 5000 CPUs intelligently overclock themselves based on how good of a cooler you have, dynamically adjusting clock speed based on thermals and the power delivery capabilities of the mobo. So there is a lot less messing around to do there to get maximum performance out of the CPU. That might have been what you were reading about.

As for the RAM, it doesn't necessarily matter if it's "made for AMD" or not, as long as it works in the board (every mobo has a qualified vendor list for RAM). Ryzen likes fast RAM though, the sweet spot is 3600 MHz with the best timings you can find. The reason for this is the infinity fabric (the link between the CCX's and chipset) will easily match the RAM speed up to 1,800 MHz, and that 1:1 ratio will give you the best performance (half of 3600Mhz is 1800Mhz for 1:1 with Infinity Fabric).

What a terrible time to build a computer. My home laptop for development is too slow. Took an i5-8600K processor from work, I thought the MB was a mini-ITX but it's not. Thought of getting a new proc and MB, too expensive. Bought a LGA-1151 mini-ITX board from Amazon as ME has nothing. ME also has shit for thermal paste these days.

Bought a Fractal Era case as a replacement for the Node 202 case I have at work, bought a Coolermaster MasterBox NR200P for home to replace the gigantic Corsair 500 I've had for ages.

Now I discover all these really cool super-tiny cases like the Skyreach 4 MINI, but I don't want to go down this rabbit hole right now.

And christ Intel totally sucks right now.

And WTF can I really sell my 1060 6B for $500?

Best thing I found was the Artic Thermal Material Remover. Got rid of all the paste from the processor and the AIO cooler I want to reuse.

What really pissed me off is that my old I5-2500K kept locking up when I played Doom Eternal on it, I thought it was the GPU but now I think it was the processor as the AIO preapplied paste didn't make full contact onto the processor.

And WD caught up to Samsung in the NVME battle. Woot.

And holy shit you can get your CPU delided and binned.

Last edited by suntan; 03-13-2021 at 08:21 PM.

My Ride
    TypeR

Heads up mem x NE had 5900x in stock still yesterday. I was able to snag one no back order!
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    XT6

I've been waiting since December for a video card from memory express and nothing.

Got tired of waiting and purchased this:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...glish/15200607

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Also got an email my 5900x came in already. That was pretty fast, I'm not even quite ready for the build yet haha
    Ultracrepidarian

Also got an email my 5900x came in already. That was pretty fast, I'm not even quite ready for the build yet haha
    That's great news. Apparently, Ryzen 5000 stock has been getting better. I've seen 5600X's in stock consistently as well. ShopRBC has them in stock still if anyone is wanting one.

In theory, the 5600X and 5900X should be in the highest supply because they can be made with two failed CCX's (AMD lasers off the defective cores).

If you need a GPU that might be a little harder, but PSU, Case, Mobo, and RAM are easy to find right now.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah lots of things to pick out and I need to do some research. It's all a bit sudden as I was actually thinking it would take months from now haha.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    06 S2000

Looking at building an unRAID system to replace my aging Syno NAS. Probably grabbing an old CM HAF mid tower, but I was looking at cases, and there's not a lot of budget cases that have a lot of 3.5" bays anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Is this considered a build?

Name:  F64DB47E-E42E-4DB0-80ED-4580DE13EC73_1_105_c.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  76.3 KB
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Id say so. Looks pretty sweet.

I just set up a Dell OptiPlex Micro for my MIL's home office and it's amazing what can be squeezed into such a tiny "desktop" PC these days.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm terrible at this. Opening the package, thought I ordered SODIMM. Clearly I didn't lol.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I'm terrible at this. Opening the package, thought I ordered SODIMM. Clearly I didn't lol.
    That's embarrassing. I can't believe I got my first computer from Beyond Computers.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I blame Amazon search, and me not paying attention at all trying to multitask.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

@Mitsu3000gt since you're the AMD expert, what video drivers should I use? The defaults from the OS (prob not), the Asus specific ones, or the AMD 4800U drivers?

Going to OS install it tonight after I pick some ram up from MemEx.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    @Mitsu3000gt since you're the AMD expert, what video drivers should I use? The defaults from the OS (prob not), the Asus specific ones, or the AMD 4800U drivers?

Going to OS install it tonight after I pick some ram up from MemEx.
    For the Vega iGPU you want to use the drivers from ASUS to make sure any ASUS-specific features work properly as they would have been validated for that specific PC. For mobo chipset drivers you typically want to get those directly from AMD.

My Ride
    rally pig

had B&H setup to notify me if some of the 3060Ti I was interested are in stock, just go an email that the Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC PRO has been discontinued.

I wonder if more 3060Ti will be discontinued.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    had B&H setup to notify me if some of the 3060Ti I was interested are in stock, just go an email that the Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC PRO has been discontinued.

I wonder if more 3060Ti will be discontinued.
    A lot of them get rebinned as different models to raise MSRP. Lots of places with pre-orders were honoring the price when you got on the list but prices have jumped a lot since then. So discontinue it and release a 'new' card with same specs but a different style fan shroud and milk those sales.

Also apparently nvidia is making almost no 3060ti because the 3070 are better profit and the same chip anyways so why not make those until demand dies down

Page 40 of 66 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast