Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 47 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 47 of 66 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 57 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dtrieu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ya very specific - I had to choose which 6800 xt I wanted, but the guy over the phone was very helpful. Gave him 3 choices that I wanted and he let me know which had the shortest list/which came in most often.
    OK that's not terrible I guess, and it sounds like you talked to a much better employee than I did!

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    If they let you get on a list for a 3080Ti please let us know.
    Will do. I will probably just gamble on an Asus Strix (if/when they let me) unless they have better information of what is coming to them that points me to a different card.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by scboss View Post
    NW store. I also had a ftw3 ordered at the NE store Feb 10 but they made me cancel that when I picked up the Asus from NW. They definitely sticking to the lists and only selling one 3080 per ID now after all the scalping going on.

I think it all depends on the model. In general Asus seems to be pumping way more 3 series to memx. I asked them if I should wait for the evga ftw and they said they haven't even been getting them

What model are you after?
    So (semi-long story),
    I signed up "online" in Dec, to be added to the list for an FTW3 at the NW location. When I went in-store to see if they had stock in late Jan, I asked to check if I was on the list, and was not. Because of this oversight, the dude helping me put me on a list for both the Asus ROG Strix and the FTW3, even though they "don't normally do that".
    About a week later, I managed to snag a FTW3 from the NE store, but was told I would need to cancel my place at the NW store, if I didn't want it anymore. I decided I wanted to keep my spot, so I can upgrade my wife's computer. So I'm apparently on the list for both the 3080 ROG Strix, and the FTW3, but no one will confirm for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

I don't understand why memex is making this so difficult for everyone and acting like it's some giant hardship that their business is booming. If manpower is the issue, do the economy a favor and hire more staff. It's annoying how secretive and whiny they are about everything.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Because they're probably fucking people over and favouring staff/staff friends.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Because they're probably fucking people over and favouring staff/staff friends.
    Wouldn't surprise me. Ever since the GPU/CPU shortage they act all high and mighty as if they have something to hold over your head every time I call. Their attitudes remind me of a CPA meter maid on a 'power' trip.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

There are a couple diamonds in the rough with Memex, one guy at the NW store (I want to say Steve?) spent 10mins explaining the whole chip shortage and the behind the scenes of what's going on with the GPU market specifically when I called a month ago, super nice guy to deal with.
    Last edited by 94boosted; 05-20-2021 at 03:45 PM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

There's this Drew Angel guy on Facebook that's flipping mad stock lol.

Some of these guys don't even wait until they're home to take the pics, they'll just do it in the car and post it right away

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me. Ever since the GPU/CPU shortage they act all high and mighty as if they have something to hold over your head every time I call. Their attitudes remind me of a CPA meter maid on a 'power' trip.
    To be fair mate, they probably get hundreds of these calls a day. Reminds me of when the Wii first launched, I worked at a EB Games and got calls around the clock. It's not excuse for poor service but it can't be fun for them either.

I'm hoping that Ethereum EIP1559 tanks the mining profitability and allows the GPU manufacturers to catch up on back orders. I'd really love to upgrade my 1080...

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by S-FLY View Post
    I'm hoping that Ethereum EIP1559 tanks the mining profitability and allows the GPU manufacturers to catch up on back orders. I'd really love to upgrade my 1080...
    I'm sure there's lots of other coins for people to mine. I'd bet some of the stakeholders will try to put it off as long as possible (if they own mining farms).
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post

To be fair mate, they probably get hundreds of these calls a day. Reminds me of when the Wii first launched, I worked at a EB Games and got calls around the clock. It's not excuse for poor service but it can't be fun for them either.
    This 100%. I know a few guys that work here and they are bombarded daily with no answers. It doesn't help that the cards come in randomly. Strix, FTW or any white GPU are unicorns right now for 3080
    IG:scboss

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    There are a couple diamonds in the rough with Memex, one guy at the NW store (I want to say Steve?) spent 10mins explaining the whole chip shortage and the behind the scenes of what's going on with the GPU market specifically when I called a month ago, super nice guy to deal with.
    The best memex employee I have come across was also at the NW location. I forget his name but it starts with a C, I'd have to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post

I dunno, they treat people the exact same in person. Just because a product is popular, that isn't a reason to treat your customers like garbage. If it's not fun for them that isn't really the customer's fault, they're all adults who can control their behavior and are fee to work elsewhere if they hate their lives. I've worked shitty customer service jobs for many years and was never rude to people, and I had no stake in the company. The fact that they are on commission and still behave the way they do is a head scratcher. If someone comes in polietely asking about GPUs, why not just talk to them instead of tell them to GFY more/less. It's not like they are busy in the store, every time I am there I'm the only one and the rest of the employees are chatting amongst themselves. Also, not every customer is well versed on the shortage. I have been doing builds for 3 different friends right now and none of them had a clue you couldn't just walk in and buy any GPU you wanted. You said it yourself, there isn't really any excuse.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-21-2021 at 03:37 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Spotted on Reddit. Damn this makes me want to build a mini ITX rig next go round.

Name:  Screenshot_20210521-163827.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  102.8 KB

https://kompcase.com/

My Ride
    00 Honda CR-V, 02 IS300

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Spotted on Reddit. Damn this makes me want to build a mini ITX rig next go round.

https://kompcase.com/
    @pheoxs Here are a couple shots of mine. The one I have is from http://xtia.com.cn/

Name:  IMG_1477.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  102.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1478.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  113.7 KB

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

ughhhhh ... I want one

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by CivicDXR View Post
    @pheoxs Here are a couple shots of mine. The one I have is from http://xtia.com.cn/
    Sick build!
    IG:scboss

My next build:

Name:  cool-31.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  162.0 KB

My Ride
    2011 5.0 FX4

I walked into the south Mem express two weeks ago to pick up a case, mobo, processor, ram, and they had 2 asus 6700 xt oc versions available so I snagged one. When I went to put the unit together the GPU was to long for the case. When I went to return the case the next day they had 3 3090's, 4 3070's, 6800's and quite a few 2070's. I thought about trying to flip my 6700 for a better card but am too lazy to deal with trying to sell shit to ppl. As far a I can tell none of the units they had were reserved just had to ask to have one....

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by stevelou View Post
    I walked into the south Mem express two weeks ago to pick up a case, mobo, processor, ram, and they had 2 asus 6700 xt oc versions available so I snagged one. When I went to put the unit together the GPU was to long for the case. When I went to return the case the next day they had 3 3090's, 4 3070's, 6800's and quite a few 2070's. I thought about trying to flip my 6700 for a better card but am too lazy to deal with trying to sell shit to ppl. As far a I can tell none of the units they had were reserved just had to ask to have one....
    Memex puts a handful out for walkins like that, they wont even show in stock on the site.

Biggest problem is that the pricing on those is still absurd.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Biggest problem is that the pricing on those is still absurd.
    Will the cryto crash help in a few months?

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Will the cryto crash help in a few months?
    I don't think so. Next gen release, covid lockdowns ending, crypto cooling... maybe all combined will help, hard to know, price gouging like this hasn't happened in recent years.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Page 47 of 66 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 57 ... LastLast