Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 18 of 66 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am considering the Fractal Design Era ITX case vs the Lian Li TU150.

How much do you guys think I would get for this PC I built at the end of March this year?

Case: Thermaltake Level 20 VT MicroATX
    CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
    Cooler: Thermaltake Floe Riing Plus RGB 240
    MB: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M
    RAM: 4 x 8GB Thermaltake TR RGB 3200 CL16
    Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 nVME 1TB
    PSU: EVGA 650W G6 80+ Gold
    GPU: MSI 5700XT
    quick eyeball my guess is what you spent x 70% maybe.

my guess is around 1200?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    quick eyeball my guess is what you spent x 70% maybe.

my guess is around 1200?
    To migrate some of the parts to the Fractal Design Era ITX is about $1k. This includes new case, 2 x 16 ram, mitx board with wifi and usb c header, thermal paste and sf psu.
    I better get stonkin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

My own personal preference last 5 years for custom builds (clients, myself) has been towards open cases. These run much cooler on average - esp with multiple GPUs.

Nothing better than passive cooling, however it has to be placed in an area where say, a dropped bolt, wont wreck your PC.

My own personal workstation is wall mounted (mini ITX).

Quote Originally Posted by Xamim View Post
    Basically a twin build, almost identical parts too. I fixed the power cables fro the GPU, now running two dedicated cables instead of a single with a jumper.
    Very nice! I originally went with a single GPU cable as well. Are you running a fan under the C14?

To migrate some of the parts to the Fractal Design Era ITX is about $1k. This includes new case, 2 x 16 ram, mitx board with wifi and usb c header, thermal paste and sf psu.
    I better get stonkin'.
    Era ITX has terrible airflow. The Corsair SF750 is probably the best SFX PSU at the moment but good luck finding one.

Quote Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
    Very nice! I originally went with a single GPU cable as well. Are you running a fan under the C14?
    No, just the single 14mm fan that came with the C14. There's about 10mm between the fan and the side panel, so I was thinking of making sort of a spacer so that the fan gets air from the outside only. Right now it can intake the hot coming from the GPU. I ran some benchmarks and stress testing yesterday and the GPU never goes over 65 degrees while the CPU (3700x) is getting up to 80. Did the second fan help your temps? I also have 15mm of room between the top of the heat sink and the top panel. Debating if I should try and fit a slim fan in there, might have to sand down a little bit of the top panel so that the fan isn't putting too much pressure on the heat sink.

Agreed on the bad airflow in the Era case, the GPUs get warm. Not sure if you've seen this video Rur Jur, but he shits on the case pretty bad.

"I mean I had a feeling this case would be bad, but for gaming systems it... it's really bad: You should highly avoid this case.
    I don't feel right in linking it down below. I always say: 'you know, if you're interested, find it down below', but I'm not gonna link it. I will link some alternatives instead though"

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I don't get what MemEx is doing. Before with no backorders cards were popping up in stores every day, usually not Calgary but at least some locations. Now that they added this 'reservation' system there's been 0 new cards listed since last week. Seems odd.

I signed up as soon as it launched and haven't heard anything about a 3060, still hoping.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I don't get what MemEx is doing. Before with no backorders cards were popping up in stores every day, usually not Calgary but at least some locations. Now that they added this 'reservation' system there's been 0 new cards listed since last week. Seems odd.

I signed up as soon as it launched and haven't heard anything about a 3060, still hoping.
    Yeah, that is odd, but I am still attributing it to scalpers.

Just wondering on the 3060 though and your decision to go there instead of the 2080? I am not questioning it at all as I am pretty ignorant in specs still in today's world, but from what comparisons I have seen, the gains of the 3060 over the 2080 are so insignificant they are less than rounding errors in almost every way? Figured it might be easier to get your hands on a 2080...

Maybe it is price, I haven't checked to see if there is a price difference between them...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride

So I know the Era is a bad airflow case, but I like the clean look of it. LL TU150 is better, and TT P1 is great. Except the P1 is a bit difficult to transport.
    I don't see any other cool mITX cases out there.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Yeah, that is odd, but I am still attributing it to scalpers.

Just wondering on the 3060 though and your decision to go there instead of the 2080? I am not questioning it at all as I am pretty ignorant in specs still in today's world, but from what comparisons I have seen, the gains of the 3060 over the 2080 are so insignificant they are less than rounding errors in almost every way? Figured it might be easier to get your hands on a 2080...

Maybe it is price, I haven't checked to see if there is a price difference between them...
    Nvidia discontinued the 2000 series just before the 3000 series came out. With the shortage of cards the 2080's have been sold out everywhere for a while. MemEx doesn't have a single 2000 series card at any tier in any store. And even kijiji they're scalping them at near retail prices.

Should've grabbed a 2080 ti when the 3000 series was announced and people panic sold but right now it doesn't make sense to pay more for a used card vs wait a couple more weeks and hope to get a 3060.

Edit:

So I called MemEx ... they don't even have any record of my reservation request from last week. Fuck this stupid company. Now I'm back of the line for a 3060 again.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 12-15-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Nvidia discontinued the 2000 series just before the 3000 series came out. With the shortage of cards the 2080's have been sold out everywhere for a while. MemEx doesn't have a single 2000 series card at any tier in any store. And even kijiji they're scalping them at near retail prices.

Should've grabbed a 2080 ti when the 3000 series was announced and people panic sold but right now it doesn't make sense to pay more for a used card vs wait a couple more weeks and hope to get a 3060.

Edit:

So I called MemEx ... they don't even have any record of my reservation request from last week. Fuck this stupid company. Now I'm back of the line for a 3060 again.
    Same reason why I still don't have a CPU. I put my name on the list at the NW store now because SE is just plain incompetent. Even the NW store employee told me the SE store has a bad reputation even within Memex.

There's a 2080 Founders on Kijii for $540 right now, should be easy to get for $500.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Same reason why I still don't have a CPU. I put my name on the list at the NW store now because SE is just plain incompetent. Even the NW store employee told me the SE store has a bad reputation even within Memex.

There's a 2080 Founders on Kijii for $540 right now, should be easy to get for $500.
    Debated that but a 3060 is 550$ and beats a 2080 Super ... so hard to justify spending roughly the same amount for slightly worse performance and it being used / no warranty. It sucks but kinda forced to just keep waiting it out.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I wouldn't/couldn't want to spend that kind of dough on older gpu's, especially the 2000 series which was lackluster from the get go.

I'm sure you guys are familiar with the bapcscanada subreddit, if so you know you're up against a wave of people with discord channels/distill/youtube/twitch streams about live drops and notifications. Have to literally be on the same level of ready to pull the trigger as soon as any new stock is dropped.

Memex is outright fucked for stock both cpu and gpu, zero faith for backordering through them and waiting eternity.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I wouldn't/couldn't want to spend that kind of dough on older gpu's, especially the 2000 series which was lackluster from the get go.

I'm sure you guys are familiar with the bapcscanada subreddit, if so you know you're up against a wave of people with discord channels/distill/youtube/twitch streams about live drops and notifications. Have to literally be on the same level of ready to pull the trigger as soon as any new stock is dropped.

Memex is outright fucked for stock both cpu and gpu, zero faith for backordering through them and waiting eternity.
    Yeah, thats why MemEx is pissing me off. The past 2 weeks they had 3060's in stock every few days at different store locations. Once I saw the gigabytes pop up in Calgary but was in a meeting. Every day I saw at least 1-2 stores with small stock so figured it'd be easy to nab one. I posted a few threads in bapcsalescanada for Ontario/BC locations with the nvidia cards. Then they changed to this reservation system and haven't posted a single card for sale since. Guaranteed there's scalpers just signing up under different numbers to nab a bunch of slots to flip.

Either do backorders or don't but don't fucking change halfway through.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I would if I was in the market for anything less than a 3080, assuming you could find one of course. 2080Ti > 3070, 2080 Super ~ 3060.

The 2000 series was terrible value compared to the Pascal/1000 series but aren't bad cards in general. In the case of the 2080Ti you would also get 40% more VRAM which I would rather have than a warranty personally. 3080 and above though there is no substitute.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Yeah, thats why MemEx is pissing me off. The past 2 weeks they had 3060's in stock every few days at different store locations. Once I saw the gigabytes pop up in Calgary but was in a meeting. Every day I saw at least 1-2 stores with small stock so figured it'd be easy to nab one. I posted a few threads in bapcsalescanada for Ontario/BC locations with the nvidia cards. Then they changed to this reservation system and haven't posted a single card for sale since. Guaranteed there's scalpers just signing up under different numbers to nab a bunch of slots to flip.

Either do backorders or don't but don't fucking change halfway through.
    I'm not very far from the NW location. If you're far give me a PM and I'll pick it up for you so you dont miss out. Always happy to help out a beyonder

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    I'm not very far from the NW location. If you're far give me a PM and I'll pick it up for you so you dont miss out. Always happy to help out a beyonder
    pm'd thanks!

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Mine came from their USA warehouse on time. This was before the xmas rush though to be fair, but they were really quick delivering my case and RAM. Could always pay for expedited shipping but it's probably spendy.

They use Purolator so you shouldn't have to worry too much about the usual USPS / Canada Post nightmares.
    Well technically for the same cost I could go up to the P600S. Seems to be the exact same case but a tad bit taller. Don't know how I feel about the nylon mesh though. Seems kinda cheap for a $200 case

My Ride

I sometimes wonder why MemEx even has such a large website. Most of the things are out of stock.

Another mITX case under consideration. Phanteks Evolv Shift X.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I sometimes wonder why MemEx even has such a large website. Most of the things are out of stock.

Another mITX case under consideration. Phanteks Evolv Shift X.
    The shortage is worldwide at the moment. Guessing covid hitting all the electronics factories in China hurt the production lines a lot.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    Well technically for the same cost I could go up to the P600S. Seems to be the exact same case but a tad bit taller. Don't know how I feel about the nylon mesh though. Seems kinda cheap for a $200 case
    I would also look at the Lian Li 011D case. It has gotten some really good reviews and has been a staple for a few years now, and IMO, looks awesome. I bought the bigger version just because I plan on watercooling and since it will be my first attempt I got the 011D XL. It is still one of the better cases out there for cooling, water or air, even against today's newest cases. I never realized just how throughly tested and reviewed cases are these days. Back when I was building computers almost daily, none of this stuff was ever taken into consideration.

*edit* the XL version I got is kinda pricey at $269, but the regular mid tower version IIRC is $169 at memx
    Last edited by spikerS; 12-15-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Page 18 of 66 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast