Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 66 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default PC Build Thread

Are there any Ryzen 5000 Series Compatible Motherboards that you recommend that are onsale right now?

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are there any Ryzen 5000 Series Compatible Motherboards that you recommend that are onsale right now?
    Not on Amazon, the PC component deals I have seen so far are pretty terrible this year.

This is a very good mid-range board that is on sale, but the non-WiFi version is still $10 cheaper if you don't need it: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77774

This is the cheapest X570 board worth buying: https://www.newegg.ca/asus-prime-x57...lXfwIZ6fDLITvg

You can go with the lower B550 chipset to save a few bucks but the good B550 boards are so close in price to the good X570 boards that IMO it's not worth it, especially if you are going to keep the build for a long time.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I dont need wifi because I have a PCI wifi card but I would prefer if it was onboard.

I dont need wifi because I have a PCI wifi card but I would prefer if it was onboard.
    OK well then since it's on sale, for only $10 extra you get WiFi on that first board I linked, compared to the same board without it.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Why do motherboards still come with ps2 ports on them?

Is it worth getting those little NVMe SSD drives and does the TUF X-570 board support them? (i cant tell).
    The reviews on the board suggest the ram speeds are a bit tough. As in it wont go past 2166 speed ram, and crashes when you try and push it past that.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

People like mechanical keyboards..

An m.2 nvme drive is defiantely worth getting, if you can get a decent price, I'd get a 500GB or 1tb for windows and a few apps.

Then a traditional sata3 ssd for games/apps.

If you love saving media to your pc, that's the only way I'd look at a standard hard drive these days. And only if you need more than 100-200gbs
    Last edited by colsankey; 10-14-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Why do motherboards still come with ps2 ports on them?

Is it worth getting those little NVMe SSD drives and does the TUF X-570 board support them? (i cant tell).
    The reviews on the board suggest the ram speeds are a bit tough. As in it wont go past 2166 speed ram, and crashes when you try and push it past that.
    Some motherboards still have PS/2 for legacy peripheral support and mechanical keyboards. I can't imagine many people actually use it though. A lot of motherboards don't have it. The one I just bought doesn't have it.

These days there is no reason not to get a NVMe drive for your primary/OS drive. Prices have come down to the point there is no real difference between that and a SATAIII SSD in the smaller, more common sizes. As you get into the larger sizes like 2TB, the price difference becomes a lot bigger.

That Asus TUF board will take two M.2/NVMe drives and up to 8X SATAIII drives.

For Ryzen memory you want either 3200Mhz CL14 or 3600Mhz CL16 (3600Mhz is better regardless, slightly) for maximum performance. Neither are an issue for that board. Best to just check Asus' Memory QVL, which is a list of RAM they have physically tested and approved:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m..._X570_0722.pdf

Memory support is pretty extensive on that board, all the way up to 4400Mhz depending on the kit and the board itself can technically handle 5100Mhz which is gross overkill. Whoever said it won't go past 2166 either doesn't know what they're doing or has a defective board. I built a Ryzen PC for a friend of mine with that exact board in the Spring and it easily runs faster ram than 2166 with one click in the BIOS. Native memory speed on Ryzen 5000 is 3200Mhz and you can easily go above that. All you have to do is buy a 3600Mhz kit, say 2X16GB CL16, and then click one button in the BIOS and it automatically clocks up to 3600Mhz. Just make sure it's on the QVL or do your research before hand to make sure it plays nice with that board and Ryzen CPUs. AMD infinity fabric runs at 3733Mhz and generally speaking you don't want to go past a 1:1 ratio, so that is why 3600 Mhz is the sweet spot for most builds. If you want to do even less work, Gskill "Flare X" and Trident Z "NEO" Ram is specifically made for Ryzen, but tons of other kits work just fine.

Memory support was an issue with first gen Ryzen 1000 (300 series boards), but even then it got dramatically better with BIOS updates. By 2nd gen Ryzen 2000 the issues were mostly gone and Ryzen 3000 has virtually no issues. Ryzen 5000 has the same memory controller as Ryzen 3000.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-14-2020 at 01:18 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Some motherboards still have PS/2 for legacy peripheral support and mechanical keyboards. I can't imagine many people actually use it though. A lot of motherboards don't have it. The one I just bought doesn't have it.

These days there is no reason not to get a NVMe drive for your primary/OS drive. Prices have come down to the point there is no real difference between that and a SATAIII SSD in the smaller, more common sizes. As you get into the larger sizes like 2TB, the price difference becomes a lot bigger.

That Asus TUF board will take two M.2/NVMe drives and up to 8X SATAIII drives.

For Ryzen memory you want either 3200Mhz CL14 or 3600Mhz CL16 (3600Mhz is better regardless, slightly) for maximum performance. Neither are an issue for that board. Best to just check Asus' Memory QVL, which is a list of RAM they have physically tested and approved:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m..._X570_0722.pdf

Memory support is pretty extensive on that board, all the way up to 4400Mhz depending on the kit and the board itself can technically handle 5100Mhz which is gross overkill. Whoever said it won't go past 2166 either doesn't know what they're doing or has a defective board. I built a Ryzen PC for a friend of mine with that exact board in the Spring and it easily runs faster ram than 2166 with one click in the BIOS. Native memory speed on Ryzen 5000 is 3200Mhz and you can easily go above that. All you have to do is buy a 3600Mhz kit, say 2X16GB CL16, and then click one button in the BIOS and it automatically clocks up to 3600Mhz. Just make sure it's on the QVL or do your research before hand to make sure it plays nice with that board and Ryzen CPUs. AMD infinity fabric runs at 3733Mhz and generally speaking you don't want to go past a 1:1 ratio, so that is why 3600 Mhz is the sweet spot for most builds. If you want to do even less work, Gskill "Flare X" and Trident Z "NEO" Ram is specifically made for Ryzen, but tons of other kits work just fine.

Memory support was an issue with first gen Ryzen 1000 (300 series boards), but even then it got dramatically better with BIOS updates. By 2nd gen Ryzen 2000 the issues were mostly gone and Ryzen 3000 has virtually no issues. Ryzen 5000 has the same memory controller as Ryzen 3000.
    Thanks for that.

Does NVMe brand matter. I see the WD blue 500GB ones are $80 but the Samsung Evo NVMe are $140 for the same size.

Thanks for that.

Does NVMe brand matter. I see the WD blue 500GB ones are $80 but the Samsung Evo NVMe are $140 for the same size.
    There are different types of NAND such as TLC, 3D, 2DMLC, etc. etc. Cheaper drives using lower quality NAND won't last as long, are slower and less reliable. To the average user though it's unlikely you will notice any huge difference.

The go-to bang for the buck NVMe drive for your OS is a Samsung 970 EVO in whatever capacity you need. It has top notch performance at a very low relative price. That board along with Ryzen 5000 also supports the brand new PCI 4.0 NVMe standard which is more than twice as fast, but outside of some niche scenarios nothing currently is able to take advantage of a drive that fast and of course they are the most expensive. Regardless, it will be an option for you in the future if you buy an X570 board. For your primary drive, I would spend a few extra bucks on a quality NVMe SSD. There's nothing inherently wrong with the WD blue NVMe drives but they are about 50% slower than something like a Samsung 970 EVO because they are limited to using 2 PCI lanes instead of 4 and therefore have a hard speed cap of around 2GB/s. They also have a very small SLC cache and no DRAM which means burst performance falls off a cliff after a brief period, but for typical use you may never notice. It's still way better than a SATAIII SSD in terms of performance, but just because it's NVMe doesn't mean it's great. It's a low end drive with low end features, but is fine for general use.

For secondary SSD storage (some people like to keep their games on a separate SSD and buy a smaller OS drive), you can stick to SATAIII SSDs with no noticeable downside (most games are written for slow hard drives because that's what most people have), and there are lots of good cheap options like the Crucial MX500 series or Samsung 860 Evo. The MX500's in particular are often on sale for very cheap on Amazon - last year I grabbed a 2TB for $170.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

2TB nvme drive for $270 - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's just an ADATA drive

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Is this a good case? https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX56952 I like black because theres less of a chance for my wife to know that I have a new PC.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Is this a good case? https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX56952 I like black because theres less of a chance for my wife to know that I have a new PC.
    Yeah perfectly good case. Add a top fan to get some nice cooling in there if you want.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

That case is fine, if you dont want or need a window, look at the meshify-c in black, theres a side panel (no glass) option.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Alright I bought a black ATX case, a 2 x 16GB Gskill FlareX Ram kit, Samsung 970 Evo NVMe Drive, and the Asus TUF X570-Plus (wifi) board. Getting it all shipped to work which is directly across the road from a memory express. A bit bummed I cant just pick it up instore.

- - - Updated - - -

Since AMD is coming out with an awesome processor, is there next line of ATI Gaming cards also going to be awesome? I thought they used to be all the rage about 8 years ago.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Currently the nvidia 3080 is top dog (but super rare) AMD's top card I think is the 5700 XT, but they havn't done more than tease their next card release which is imminent, if your looking to spend more than $500 on a GPU, I'd wait a few weeks, the onboard video processing on the latest Ryzen chips has been pretty impressive, it could get you by for just a little bit longer to make an informed decision.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    Currently the nvidia 3080 is top dog (but super rare) AMD's top card I think is the 5700 XT, but they havn't done more than tease their next card release which is imminent, if your looking to spend more than $500 on a GPU, I'd wait a few weeks, the onboard video processing on the latest Ryzen chips has been pretty impressive, it could get you by for just a little bit longer to make an informed decision.
    well right now i have a 1060 so Im thinking I can use that until a 3070/3080 is in stock. Also not building until a new Ryzen cpu is released, Im not in a hurry.

It's a fine case if all you care about is that it's a case. If you value sound dampening, high airflow, etc. then there are other things to look at.

Since AMD is coming out with an awesome processor, is there next line of ATI Gaming cards also going to be awesome? I thought they used to be all the rage about 8 years ago.
    AMD's 6000 series GPUs were 'teased' at the Ryzen 5000 launch event and appear to have similar performance to the 3080 in the titles they chose to show. The mid-range Nvidia cards and AMD 6000 cards aren't available anywhere yet though, assuming you aren't looking for a $1000+ GPU.

Also make sure the RAM you got is 3,600 Mhz. Timings don't matter much for Ryzen, but the bandwidth makes a significant difference.

Also make sure you did your price-beats with memory express as they are usually one of the worst prices around unless something is on sale. Put your parts in ca.pcpartpicker.com and get them to beat the best prices there of in-stock items.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    It's a fine case if all you care about is that it's a case. If you value sound dampening, high airflow, etc. then there are other things to look at.

AMD's 6000 series GPUs were 'teased' at the Ryzen 5000 launch event and appear to have similar performance to the 3080 in the titles they chose to show. The mid-range Nvidia cards and AMD 6000 cards aren't available anywhere yet though, assuming you aren't looking for a $1000+ GPU.
    I guess what I would be concerned about would be compatibility for something not released yet with VR and oculus. I would like to use my rig for VR oculus link gaming.

I guess what I would be concerned about would be compatibility for something not released yet with VR and oculus. I would like to use my rig for VR oculus link gaming.
    If you're waiting for Ryzen 5000 anyway, you will have the luxury of seeing what the market brings to the GPU world in the next 1-2 months. I wouldn't worry about it too much, and you always have your 1060 to tide you over in the meantime until you can get something more suited for VR use.

I'm not sure what capacity of 970 evo you got but the faster evo PLUS 500GB is a good price at Newegg right now $119: https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-970-ev...-690-_-Product

Page 1 of 66 1 2 11 ... LastLast