Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I still haven't heard from memex about the 5900x I ordered the night before release

Again, extremely glad I didn't wait to build, would be a very unhappy camper.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still haven't heard from memex about the 5900x I ordered the night before release

Again, extremely glad I didn't wait to build, would be a very unhappy camper.
    Which location? They called me for my 5900x from the NW location a couple weeks ago.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Which location? They called me for my 5900x from the NW location a couple weeks ago.
    SE by Chinook, probably the problem. Seems the North locations are much better.

Well speak of the devil, I got a call today that the 3070 I ordered about 2 weeks ago has arrived. Not bad, hopefully a sign that supply is catching up.

Now if only my cpu would arrive so I could actually finish this build...
    dv/dt

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by zieg View Post
    Well speak of the devil, I got a call today that the 3070 I ordered about 2 weeks ago has arrived. Not bad, hopefully a sign that supply is catching up.

Now if only my cpu would arrive so I could actually finish this build...
    Thats awesome! Which one / where.

MemEx switched all the 3000 series to out of stock instead of backorder and there's a notice up saying they won't accept anymore backorders due to unstable supply. Really sucks but hopefully this means it'll all clear out then its just a matter of spying in stock cards as they appear.

Hmm, a friend of mine just placed a backorder on a 3080 tonight. They might still be taking them on some cards? I got mine from the south. MSI.
    dv/dt

Quote Originally Posted by zieg View Post
    MemEX has the 5800x in stock in some eastern stores.. I don't know that the extra $200 is worth it to me personally, or if you can get it shipped from those stores, but it might be worth considering if you want it soon.
    The 5800X is still excellent, but technically it's the worst value proposition in the current lineup. Basically if you just want to game, get a 5600X, if you need more cores for creative work, streaming, or whatever else, the 5900X is only $130 more than the 5800X for another 4c/8t and higher binned silicon which is an absolute bargain and by far the better value proposition. The 5950X is the best of both worlds but it's expensive and good luck finding one (if you do let me know lol).

AMD can make 5600X and 5900X with imperfect CCX's so those should see the most supply. The 5800X needs one perfect 8-core CCX and the 5950X needs two perfect 8-core CCX's so yield is naturally going to be lower.

Right now though I imagine people are buying whatever is available if they're excited to make their new PC's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I made the mistake of dealing with Memex SE and that's why I don't have a CPU yet. Going forward I think I will just deal with NW or NE.

PC Canada is showing Dec 28 for their estimated 5950X delivery date so I wonder if a bunch will come in around then. Pretty late though.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

5800X is now pretty stocked. Fingers crossed the backorders clear and other models start to trickle in soon.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

This thread has given me the upgrade bug. What do people recommend for cases? Been using my coolermaster cosmos 1000 since 2007 so I figured I'm due for an upgrade.
    No supertowers anymore lol, looking for a nice midtower with support for an AIO but it looks to be the standard now.
    Thoughts on this one? Is there something better bang for my buck?
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX79655

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    This thread has given me the upgrade bug. What do people recommend for cases? Been using my coolermaster cosmos 1000 since 2007 so I figured I'm due for an upgrade.
    No supertowers anymore lol, looking for a nice midtower with support for an AIO but it looks to be the standard now.
    For that money I would get a Phanteks P500A, it's objectively one of the best ATX mid-towers you can buy for quality, thermals, and noise. Everyone wants them so they sell out quick but they also get restocked pretty regularly.

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?d=p500a

The "P500A Digital" model comes with 3 front fans instead of 2 and has RGB, that's the only difference. Buy the cheaper one if you're going to use your own fans anyway.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-11-2020 at 12:08 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

This is the case I just used and love it.
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX80704

Really well built, tons of cable routing in the back so everything stays really clean and I really like the look to it. Front panel has buttons for the LEDs so you can easily toggle them off if they annoy you.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    For that money I would get a Phanteks P500A, it's objectively one of the best ATX mid-towers you can buy for quality, thermals, and noise. Everyone wants them so they sell out quick but they also get restocked pretty regularly.

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?d=p500a

The "P500A Digital" model comes with 3 front fans instead of 2 and has RGB, that's the only difference. Buy the cheaper one if you're going to use your own fans anyway.
    I was sold at optional vertical CPU and expandable up to 10 HDD's. Thank you!

I was sold at optional vertical CPU and expandable up to 10 HDD's. Thank you!
    I have that case and it's really excellent. Great cable management with pre-anchored straps, the glass door is hinged with a magnetic latch, so no dicking around with clips if you need to get into the system. Entire top pops off so you don't have to cut your hands open plugging in the CPU power. Great airflow. It even comes with a parts organizer for all the screws and an anti-sag bracket for the GPU.

It comes with one 3.5" HDD bracket that holds 2 drives under the PSU shroud, but if you want to add 4 under the PSU shroud you need to buy a second one: https://www.amazon.ca/Phanteks-Stack...6-8a5c26cd5a14
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-11-2020 at 12:23 PM.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Anyone here an expert with water cooling?
    I saw this and now I can't un-see it haha. Would be happy to pay someone to build this for me once I have the all the parts in
    https://youtu.be/sF9KCNhKfzY

My Ride

Time to live the nvme life

Anyone here an expert with water cooling?
    I saw this and now I can't un-see it haha. Would be happy to pay someone to build this for me once I have the all the parts in
    https://youtu.be/sF9KCNhKfzY
    That's a super clean looking build. It's not that hard to do (I'm sure you could do it yourself - you can see its mostly just screwing stuff in), but it's expensive for all those custom water blocks and pieces. Air cooling is so good now that I stay away from water, and my PC is on the floor beside my desk so I don't get to admire the inside.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

That's a super clean looking build. It's not that hard to do (I'm sure you could do it yourself - you can see its mostly just screwing stuff in), but it's expensive for all those custom water blocks and pieces. Air cooling is so good now that I stay away from water, and my PC is on the floor beside my desk so I don't get to admire the inside.
    I'd go water for the noise factor. Could care less about visual effects. All my current fans have a low noise adapter on them

I'd go water for the noise factor. Could care less about visual effects. All my current fans have a low noise adapter on them
    A good airflow case like the P500 with near-silent fans (Noctuas or Corsair ML's) and a NH-D15 all running at lower RPMs is quieter than any AIO setup I have seen, assuming you are running fans on the AIO and want good cooling performance that is. Worst case scenario they should be very similar from a noise standpoint if both are tuned for low noise. AIO fans need good static pressure to force air through the fins, which generally makes them louder. Water looks way better though haha. I guess if you didn't have rad fans it would be very quiet but you still need case fans and you would need an enormous rad to get decent passive cooling performance.

I have an all-air setup currently and I can only hear it if the house is dead silent and I'm listening for it, and even then it is just an extremely light whirring noise. My upcoming P500A build should be even quieter. You can get some really quiet water builds too, it's just harder IMO.

If you're getting that case though you have every option to do what you like
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-11-2020 at 02:49 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

A good airflow case like the P500 with near-silent fans (Noctuas or Corsair ML's) and a NH-D15 all running at lower RPMs is quieter than any AIO setup I have seen, assuming you are running fans on the AIO and want good cooling performance that is. Worst case scenario they should be very similar from a noise standpoint if both are tuned for low noise. Water looks way better though haha. I guess if you didn't have rad fans it would be very quiet but you still need case fans and you would need an enormous rad to get decent passive cooling performance.

I have an all-air setup currently and I can only hear it if the house is dead silent and I'm listening for it, and even then it is just an extremely light whirring noise. My upcoming P500A build should be even quieter. You can get some really quiet water builds too, it's just harder IMO.
    Yeah, water you still have fans to cool a rad and the pump going, I don't really consider watercooling a better option for quietness. Main thing is just get a good CPU cooler, a push/pull fan setup with quieter fans can be really efficient. GPU is a bit harder but a triple fan setup usually runs good and then most have software you can control the fans in.

Memex NW just got a bunch of 5800X in stock. I called them and they said they are getting every new Ryzen CPU in pretty regularly, just in weird quantities and working through the preorders.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-14-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast