3080Ti in this bitch!!!

Name:  5E061FBC-ACDA-4BD4-8863-322C73672A61.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  165.5 KB
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

That's pretty.

The power unit failed in my computer. It's over 10 years old so I've been thinking about building a new one, so now seems as good a time as any. At the moment I don't use my desktop at all, mostly using my work laptop. Having said that, I may use it more in the future.

What I'd like to build is something I can use as a plex server as well as something I can work in Unreal Engine on. I picked up a Fractal case which has room for 2 SSD drives and 6 others.
    I was thinking about the AMD RYZEN 7 3800X chip with ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO.

I'm not sure what else I need yet but am I on the right track?

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's pretty.

The power unit failed in my computer. It's over 10 years old so I've been thinking about building a new one, so now seems as good a time as any. At the moment I don't use my desktop at all, mostly using my work laptop. Having said that, I may use it more in the future.

What I'd like to build is something I can use as a plex server as well as something I can work in Unreal Engine on. I picked up a Fractal case which has room for 2 SSD drives and 6 others.
    I was thinking about the AMD RYZEN 7 3800X chip with ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO.

I'm not sure what else I need yet but am I on the right track?
    Go with a Ryzen 5000 series not 3000 series, the 5000 series is a major architectural redesign. That is a great mobo but you likely don't need the "pro" version unless you are after a very specific feature - the base model is extremely well featured and only $225. Just make sure you actually need the thing(s) the pro adds.

The problem will be finding a GPU if you are looking to build a PC right now. Some people have got lucky, others still don't have GPUs ordered last year.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    3080Ti in this bitch!!!

Name:  5E061FBC-ACDA-4BD4-8863-322C73672A61.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  165.5 KB
    Beauty! This is the case I decided on as well. Noctua needs to finally make the Chromax of their A12x25 already.

Could the rad not fit up top?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    06 S2000

Where do you put the multitude of drives?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Where do you put the multitude of drives?
    4 drives spaces are hidden on the back side behind the mobo panel, and two more can be mounted to the floor where he has fans. It's not a good case if you have lots of full sized HDDs but it can handle quite a few SSDs. If you get the XL version of that case it can handle more and has 2 hot swappable drive bays too. Biggest downside is the case doesn't come with any fans so you need to add $120 or so to the case price. It's a pretty good case though.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

That's right, there's a few m.2 slots available on the mobo itself.

Full disclosure, I didn't build this. I found a hobbyist builder in the deep south of Calgary who had just finished this build. Was surprised he didn't keep the 3080Ti for his rig.

Rad and fan placement is always up for debate. I have watched some builds with this case end up with this setup (top, bottom intake. side rad exhaust) and others end up as top rad exhaust. Really comes down to what temps you're seeing.

Only a 500GB m.2 drive in this so far. Going to get another 2TB at some point.

I have it hooked up to my 4k TV for now. Flight sim in 4K is awesome.

~18000 score in TimeSpy in all stock clock settings. EDIT: 18000 overall score. GPU score of 19748
    Last edited by 16hypen3sp; 07-08-2021 at 12:17 PM.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    4 drives spaces are hidden on the back side behind the mobo panel, and two more can be mounted to the floor where he has fans. It's not a good case if you have lots of full sized HDDs but it can handle quite a few SSDs. If you get the XL version of that case it can handle more and has 2 hot swappable drive bays too. Biggest downside is the case doesn't come with any fans so you need to add $120 or so to the case price. It's a pretty good case though.
    That's better than I was expecting. I'm currently running 2x m.2, 2x SATA SSD, and 1x 3.5" HDD. If I upgraded the m.2 to 1tb/piece and made sure both SSD were 1TB, I could get away with it, but being a budget conscious early adopter sucks, and my drive sizes are quite varied. I have 4TB spread across all 5 drives right now, with sizes varying from 250GB to 2TB.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    That's better than I was expecting. I'm currently running 2x m.2, 2x SATA SSD, and 1x 3.5" HDD. If I upgraded the m.2 to 1tb/piece and made sure both SSD were 1TB, I could get away with it, but being a budget conscious early adopter sucks, and my drive sizes are quite varied. I have 4TB spread across all 5 drives right now, with sizes varying from 250GB to 2TB.
    I'm in no position to lecture about having too many hard drives (I think I am using 8 haha) but a couple 1TB M.2 SSDs are pretty cheap, and so are 8-10TB HDDs. You could triple your current storage pretty cheaply and only have 3 drives.

The only thing to watch out for is on some mobos, using the second and/or third m.2 slots sometimes steal bandwidth from the SATA ports OR one of the M.2 drives will be limited to SATA speeds - that isn't normally an issue unless you have a ton of drives though.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

WD SSD 4TB drives are on sale. Thinking I'm gonna get one!

https://www.newegg.ca/western-digita...-121-_-Product

$449. Now I'm going to load all my Adobe software + a bunch of my libraries and catalogs all on one drive. Should be a lot faster than the WD Black + SSD combo I use now.
    Last edited by msommers; 07-08-2021 at 09:49 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Tinkered with a bit of OC settings and TimeSpy.

Top score:

GPU - 20365 score / GPU clock - 2070 MHz / Core Temperature - 71 degrees C
    CPU - 12272 score / CPU clock - 4600 MHz

Overall score of 18531 which puts me in the top 14% of all 3DMark results with this setup.

I don't think I've mentioned specs of this machine yet -

i7-11700K
    3080Ti
    500GB m.2 NVMe
    32GB DDR4 3600MHz
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

My biggest pros were smaller size, pretty decent airflow (exceptional considering the side intake) and it just looks nice! I'm opting for the AIO Arctic Cooler Freezer II 360mm.

Noctua better get their shit together and release A12x25 Chromax fans soon though!
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    My biggest pros were smaller size, pretty decent airflow (exceptional considering the side intake) and it just looks nice! I'm opting for the AIO Arctic Cooler Freezer II 360mm.

Noctua better get their shit together and release A12x25 Chromax fans soon though!
    The 011XL was my first choice until I found the P500A, it has better thermals and just suited my particular build a bit better. I do like the 011 cases for sure though and I was almost temped by the hot swappable drive bays, but in the end it was too annoying to get all my HDDs in there.

Noctua is pretty slow with the chromax stuff, I don't know how many years it took them to finally make a NH-D15 chromax.

As for your cooler, you don't need that much cooling for a Ryzen 5000 CPU, unless you are going to be doing some significant manual overclocking. If your plan is to just use AMD PBO2 and the OEM Ryzen OC tools, air cooling (NH-D15) is plenty as you will not overwhelm it, so getting more cooling is somewhat redundant. If you use the AMD Curve Optimizer you can get the CPU to run even cooler. It also introduces more failure points. If you just like the aesthetic though then go for it. I have a NH-D15 Chromax and the hottest I have ever seen my 5950X during benchmarking or games is low-mid 70C. I am also using PBO2. Make sure you use a really good thermal paste too, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the best out there at the moment.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-09-2021 at 05:49 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

D15 is too tall to fit in the O11. Would need the XL and I'm not interested in a case that large. My AIO I have now has been great, so I have no issue going that route again. And if I can OC it even more, so be it!

What's the difference between the kyronaut and the extreme version?

Honestly my only loose ends at this point are case fans. I really can't find a comparable fan to the A12x25 regardless of price. A friend at work suggested the Corsair ML120 as it's a maglev tech. Still seems noiser at higher rpm. And I will not look at a case full of brown poop fans lol
    Last edited by msommers; 07-09-2021 at 07:08 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

D15 is too tall to fit in the O11. Would need the XL and I'm not interested in a case that large. My AIO I have now has been great, so I have no issue going that route again. And if I can OC it even more, so be it!

What's the difference between the kyronaut and the extreme version?

Honestly my only loose ends at this point are case fans. I really can't find a comparable fan to the A12x25 regardless of price. A friend at work suggested the Corsair ML120 as it's a maglev tech. Still seems noiser at higher rpm. And I will not look at a case full of brown poop fans lol
    Oh OK, I didn't know that case wouldn't take a NH-D15. I keep thinking of the XL.

The Kryonaut Extreme is specifically built for LN2 overclocking (i.e. "extreme" overclocking).

This is the stuff most people should get: https://www.amazon.ca/Kryonaut-Therm...5902173&sr=8-2 It's also non-conductive so you don't have to be as careful with the application (thin layer across entire IHS is best).

I use Corsair ML140 Pros for intake (same as 120 MLPro just bigger), they are, to my ear, at least as quiet if not quieter than the Noctuas (I use a NF-A14 for exhaust) as long as you run them around 800-1000 RPM or less. I've actually been running 3 ML 140 pros 24/7 since early 2016 with zero issues. If you want them for high RPM on your cooler though they are very good for that too but they get loud near the top of their RPM range (2400rpm).

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Oh OK, I didn't know that case wouldn't take a NH-D15. I keep thinking of the XL.

The Kryonaut Extreme is specifically built for LN2 overclocking (i.e. "extreme" overclocking).
    Yeah, i have the 011D XL with the NH-D15S, and it barely fits. I don't think it could be any taller and still fit my side panel on.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Ford

I got everything but a GPU https://i.imgur.com/stCHMMK.jpeg
    going to have to use an alpha dog 8800 I still have from 2007
    Last edited by blairtruck; 07-10-2021 at 12:41 PM.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I use Corsair ML140 Pros for intake (same as 120 MLPro just bigger), they are, to my ear, at least as quiet if not quieter than the Noctuas (I use a NF-A14 for exhaust) as long as you run them around 800-1000 RPM or less. I've actually been running 3 ML 140 pros 24/7 since early 2016 with zero issues. If you want them for high RPM on your cooler though they are very good for that too but they get loud near the top of their RPM range (2400rpm).
    Good to have personal experiences with these things as benchmarks aren't everything. According to this test, <=1,000 rpm, the ML120 Pro performs quite close to the A12X25. Above that though, it pushes similar amounts of air but makes more noise relatively.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/n...x25-pwm/5.html

But if no Chromax is available in a couple weeks, it's a moot point lol.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Regarding most RGB fans, is the brightness adjustable on the mobo typically? I like the idea of adding some LEDs but I don't want them blinding, especially if I put the PC on my desk.
    Ultracrepidarian

Regarding most RGB fans, is the brightness adjustable on the mobo typically? I like the idea of adding some LEDs but I don't want them blinding, especially if I put the PC on my desk.
    It depends on the fan - some are on all the time and brightness varies with fan speed. Other fans have a dedicated RGB lead which you would connect to the aRGB header on your mobo (if it has one) and then you would use your mobo software to control the fan's RGB. You can also get standalone RGB headers if your mobo doesn't have one. In the case of the Corsair ML Pro's, they come with or without RGB. They are $45-50/fan with RGB which is pretty expensive, and you can also buy them in a bundle with a RGB hub.

Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 42 51 52 53 62 ... LastLast