Quantcast
PC Build Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Build Thread

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

It was 500GB - the 1TB was a bit more than I wanted to buy. I think I will get a couple of SSD's for additional storage like my current PC has. Im unsure what I will do with this current PC probably stick it in the basement and use it as a home server/plex server type thing. The problem with my house though is because I have google wifi I dont really have any ethernet capability.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was 500GB - the 1TB was a bit more than I wanted to buy. I think I will get a couple of SSD's for additional storage like my current PC has. Im unsure what I will do with this current PC probably stick it in the basement and use it as a home server/plex server type thing. The problem with my house though is because I have google wifi I dont really have any ethernet capability.
    If you paid $119 or more for the 500GB 970 EVO (non-plus) you should return it and order the EVO Plus at $119 if you can. It's the updated, faster version of that drive. They are similar but if the price is the same you might as well get the Plus.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

The Nest Wifi Router has one extra LAN port doesn't it? Could connect the plex box directly to it. Or buy a small 4 port switch and connect that then anything you need to that.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    The Nest Wifi Router has one extra LAN port doesn't it? Could connect the plex box directly to it. Or buy a small 4 port switch and connect that then anything you need to that.
    Yeah it does I have it connected to a switch at the moment that has 4 ports however the place where the google wifi is connected is to a coax point and theres no ethernet jack that leads to the basement there so it just allows me to connect other devices in that same area. This is all behind my tv in the living room, a place I dont really want to have a a Mid Tower hanging out. When my houses was built noone though to have a coax jack and an ethernet jack in the same place. And for whatever reason google / nest wifi only have ethernet ports on their main router not on the satellites.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Yeah it does I have it connected to a switch at the moment that has 4 ports however the place where the google wifi is connected is to a coax point and theres no ethernet jack that leads to the basement there so it just allows me to connect other devices in that same area. This is all behind my tv in the living room, a place I dont really want to have a a Mid Tower hanging out. When my houses was built noone though to have a coax jack and an ethernet jack in the same place. And for whatever reason google / nest wifi only have ethernet ports on their main router not on the satellites.
    That sucks. What about Ethernet over power adapters and run it through a power outlet? The adapters do a couple hundred mb/s and should be sufficient.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I have had mixed experience with POE adapters, they seem to be worse in my experience than the PCI wifi card I have running.

I have 300Mbps to the house, and this is the speed with the pci wifi card:

Name:  10260707801.png
Views: 866
Size:  19.9 KB

It will be interesting to see if the mobo wifi onboard card on the new system gets better results. Hate Shaws limited upload speed though. But im Saving about $100 a month versus my old telus service.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Since AMD is coming out with an awesome processor, is there next line of ATI Gaming cards also going to be awesome? I thought they used to be all the rage about 8 years ago.
    No, they stopped being the Rage about 20 years ago. They're the Radeon now.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    No, they stopped being the Rage about 20 years ago.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    No, they stopped being the Rage about 20 years ago. They're the Radeon now.
    lol I did not know that. i think ive always known them as radeon. All my early cards were 3DFX and then the Nvidia Geforce range.

This will be my first build. I'll decide on final CPU and GPU as soon as prices drop.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/tj6tJf

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($424.50 @ Vuugo)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.75 @ Vuugo)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($319.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory ($189.99 @ Canada Computers)

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon Canada)
    Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Memory Express)

Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB AMP Video Card ($579.99 @ Best Buy Canada)

Case: NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case ($99.50 @ Vuugo)

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($125.99 @ PC-Canada)

Case Fan: Noctua A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 107.41 CFM 140 mm Fan ($36.60 @ Amazon Canada)
    Case Fan: Noctua A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 107.41 CFM 140 mm Fan ($36.60 @ Amazon Canada)
    Case Fan: Noctua F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 71.69 CFM 120 mm Fan ($33.15 @ Amazon Canada)
    Case Fan: Noctua F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 71.69 CFM 120 mm Fan ($33.15 @ Amazon Canada)

Total: $2234.19

This rabbit hole gets deep! Currently watching videos on how to lube switches.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If you paid $119 or more for the 500GB 970 EVO (non-plus) you should return it and order the EVO Plus at $119 if you can. It's the updated, faster version of that drive. They are similar but if the price is the same you might as well get the Plus.
    I bought the evo plus for 114

Why does every brand have its own rtx card? What makes one brand better than another.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 10-19-2020 at 07:03 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Cooling fans, looks, and LEDs.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Nvidia only used to make reference boards and chips, not completed cards and let their AIB partners do the final cooling solutions and design work.

That didn't change till thee 10 series founders edition cards, and I assume its because nvidia realized they could capture another 5-15% of the overall sale price if they didn't farm out the final product.

But the AiBs sell way more product overall for them, so they can't cut them out entirely.

I bought the evo plus for 114

Why does every brand have its own rtx card? What makes one brand better than another.
    What happens is when Nvidia or AMD makes a new GPU, they make a reference card that sets a benchmark for performance and showcases the new series. These are the cards you see at launch events. Then they turn around and sell the GPUs to all the the board partners (ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, etc.) who have a lot of leeway in how they want to make their video cards. They can change things like the factory overclock, cooling ability, connectivity (DP, DVI, HDMI, etc.), power handling, VRAM, OC potential, liquid cooling options, aesthetic options, quality of board parts, etc. They have different warranties and policies as well which also factors into the value proposition.

Generally speaking, partner cards are almost always better than the OEM reference cards.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Started piecing together my new build, had bought the asus tuf mobo that was on sale at memex a week or so ago(it's on sale even cheaper on amazon right now of course) and trying to figure out what to do in regards to flashing the bios for zen 3 support as I am highly doubting the bios is up to date coming off a shelf.

Coming from intel so no chip and don't want to wait for the AMD loaner program which requires a valid zen chip purchase first.

edit - looks like they have an aorus elite with flashback on sale for $265, might just go return/swap.
    Last edited by 2Legit2Quit; 10-20-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Started piecing together my new build, had bought the asus tuf mobo that was on sale at memex a week or so ago(it's on sale even cheaper on amazon right now of course) and trying to figure out what to do in regards to flashing the bios for zen 3 support as I am highly doubting the bios is up to date coming off a shelf.

Coming from intel so no chip and don't want to wait for the AMD loaner program which requires a valid zen chip purchase first.
    Mobo partners started updating their BIOS' for Ryzen 5000 in August, so it depends on the board and the manufacturer date.

You need a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.8.1.

For a board without BIOS flashback, you have 2 options - you can get Memory Express to mount the CPU for you (you will probably have to re-do it properly and with good thermal paste but that's quick), or you can borrow a previous gen Ryzen CPU from AMD or someone else so you can get it up and running long enough to flash the BIOS.

I would send the serial number to ASUS and get them to tell you what BIOS that specific board has before you go to too much trouble.

If you only bought the TUF a week ago, give Memory Express a call and get them to refund you the difference - you have at least 2 weeks to do that I believe.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

You can also just take the mobo to MemEx and they'll update the bios for free if you. Pretty sure if you bring it back /w the receipt when you buy the processor they'll mount it and update the bios for you too. If you want.

Alternatively you could swap the TUF board for The Gigabyte Aorus Elite which is slightly better and in the same general price category - it has BIOS flashback without the need for a CPU.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I'm not sure what capacity of 970 evo you got but the faster evo PLUS 500GB is a good price at Newegg right now $119: https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-970-ev...-690-_-Product
    Definitely worth another $6 to get the Evo Plus.

https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-970-ev...82E16820147742

Keep in mind the 2TB Evo Plus goes on sale for $399 regularly
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Coming from an i7 2600k, Asus P8P67 and 32GB G.SKILL Sniper Series RAM, I've been waiting for a substantial upgrade and it seems like Ryzen is head and shoulders better than Intel at this point (https://www.techradar.com/news/leake...ntel-i5-10600k).

So in order to change systems, would I need a new CPU, Mobo and RAM? I could keep my hard drives, cooling unit (https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Catego.../CW-9060021-WW) and GPU?
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast