Quantcast
Kitchen Rebuild Costs for Condo Claims - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Kitchen Rebuild Costs for Condo Claims

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Kitchen Rebuild Costs for Condo Claims

Hey all, I know we have contractors and various condo board members here that I'd like to lean on. I'm on the board at our condo building and a month or so ago we had a water damage in one unit that also affected the unit below.

Side note/off-topic: As some folks may or may not know, the latest version of the Condo Act simply states that the personal insurer for that responsible unit only needs to pay up to the corporate deductible for that type of claim. As an example, if there is a total of $80,000 water damage and repair that occurred originating from unit A's failing, and the corporate deductible for water is $75,000, the condo corporation is on the hook for $5,000 despite the failure coming from a unit and not the building. Even in a perfectly sealed condo unit (theoretically), if the total in that unit is more than the corporate deductible the condo corporation has to pay for the extra despite not affecting any other parts of the condo.

Now the point of this post. As the board is combing through the quotes for repair, some things seem pretty expensive. We are getting additional quotes to compare but our property manager has indicated that they all use the same software and are likely going to be close to one another.

The main cost is repairing the kitchens in two units. I'll post up a photo of my kitchen for context and I think the affected ones are likely very similar looking. The big thing that stuck out to us is replacing the granite countertops with the install -- $17K for two units. Additionally, for anyone who knows or does kitchen install/repair, what is the rough cost of replacing all the cabinets? What about just the lower cabinets? Lastly, what about replacing laminate/underlay flooring for ~700 sq ft?

TIA.

Name:  _DSC9755_reduced.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  100.2 KB
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

Did your property manager get a quote from Zen-living? When we redid our Kitchen Cabinets, they were by far the least expensive to get it done. I think they beat the next closest competitor by at least 20% - 25% with install included. One competitor got upset that I didn't tell them we were looking at getting a quote for Zen because there was no way they could have beat them and he wouldn't have wasted his time on the quote.

Also, why are you getting the granite counter tops replaced? Pretty sure water damage wouldn't damage stone, and the counter tops can be reused (we reused our counter tops).

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks, I'll mention Zen! The granite needs to be replaced because in order for them to remove the damaged cabinets and apparently the way the countertops were installed (expoxy'd?), they wouldn't come off the cabinets without breaking.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Now of course I know nothing about Calgary businesses but I do know we also have Millwork shops who are always way cheaper than the rest and I'd never accept their products in my home or client projects. Not sure how anyone could give you a real ballpark amount on cabinets without knowing all the layout/material/hardware detail, unless they just quote unseen on basic builder level stuff as a baseline budget.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 10-16-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Fair point. It's likely all from Ikea so I can try to reconstruct it on there for a rough quote.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ikea has excellent kitchen design tools. You can build the kitchen piece by piece and get a full quote for materials at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I'll dig through some of our minutes to find some contractor repair jobs for the kitchen floods we have dealt with. Theres always a few every year.

Our repairs have always been broken down per room, per item and came from 3 different contractors. You cant take one quote from one building and assume yours should be the same as the materials used could be different. For example theres a lot of varying degrees of cabinets.

17k for the counter top replacement seems insanely high. Condo boards get raped by contractors and the property managers are too lazy to do anything about it.

My Ride
    V8s

Not a lot to add, but 17k for two kitchens worth of granite is not that crazy. Say one slab per kitchen, depending on how nice the granite is that’s a little high but not outrageous.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Not a lot to add, but 17k for two kitchens worth of granite is not that crazy. Say one slab per kitchen, depending on how nice the granite is that’s a little high but not outrageous.
    Seems high to me. I think i was in the 5-10k range for a two slab kitchen and bathroom. but that was seven years ago, maybe things have changed.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd swag laminate flooring as $5-10/sqft including labour. You can go as cheap as $3/sqft as I recall and I'm sure go well beyond 10 if you wanted a higher end product.

- - - Updated - - -

swag cabinet pricing as $300-600 per linear foot plus labour; ikea should be on the low end of this.

My Ride
    changes every year

I just got quoted 4k for 2 slabs in a kitchen for quartz. 17k is insane.

Just looked at one repair we did for a flood in one unit that affected 1 common area amenity. The break down for the $30,000 repair was 18 pages long breaking down every penny they were going to spend. For example every baseboard they removed was charged. They go as far as to quote removal of carpet at 56 cents per square foot. If they removed a switch off the wall to paint they charged us. Every room was individually broken down in great detail.

When it came to cabinets they did the same break down. Lower cabinets were charged seperate from upper cabinets. The amenity had a smaller kitchen so it was $1600 for uppers, $1300 for lower and $700 for a small island cabinet. Some bathroom cabinet was $1200.

Surprisingly the painting was one of the cheaper expenses. Between drywall, cabinets and flooring that was 20k of the 30k repair.

For the most part the kitchen in the main unit was spared it was the small kitchen in the amenity room that needed replaced. I noticed they charged us a flat rate for the flooring as one line item but didn't break it down per square foot or the underlay or the flooring itself. A bit odd as they broke everything else down so well.

I'd say your dealing with nicer finishes and bigger kitchens. If kitchens are both needing to be replaced I dont think 75 to 80k seems that unreasonable.

What is odd is if your only getting one quote and a crappy break down of the repair.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I am absolutely shocked that there isn't a toaster in that photo.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks for everyones' comments, it's really appreciated to have some perspective on this stuff. @gwill if the condo you're talking about is in Calgary, can you PM me who you guys used. We've asked for more details for each repair, line items etc so hopefully that happens next week.
    Ultracrepidarian

If its just the 2 pieces of counter in the photo you're getting majorly ripped off @$8500 per unit. Looks like a 1 slab kitchen so maybe about $2500 -$3500 all in
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Combing through some things, mainly the flooring right now. Does this stuff fit your guy's idea of average/standard costs?

2.85 sq ft for "builder grade" laminate. Loads of stuff less than $1 at Lowes

0.60 sq ft for sound rated underlay

2.60 sq ft for install

85.00 sq ft for 'self -leveling'. Not sure why this even has to be done, seems like an upgrade to me

450 tile minimum charge
    Ultracrepidarian

I've used some of the cheap stuff from lowes for a rental and it was the worst stuff in the world to install. A good way to approach the repairs is ask yourself would you be happy with the 1 dollar laminate from lowes in the place you live in?

To check on install costs you could call a local install place and ask what their install rates are and what the under lay costs. The install costs off the top of my head don't seem too bad. I found a guy off kijiji to do my install at 1.50 square foot which was cheaper then any company you could hire. This did include him putting the under lay down as well.

Tile charge is spot on with the big repair my one condo board had.

My Ride

I certainly don't mean to sound insulting as I appreciate that you're putting a lot of effort in and trying to be reasonable/informed but this whole thing is why condo boards are so ridiculous. You shouldn't have people that don't understand construction responsible for dealing with construction.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Silverado

What's your solution?
    Boards all have management companies, they should have the expertise, but from my experience, none do.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    What's your solution?
    Boards all have management companies, they should have the expertise, but from my experience, none do.
    Agreed. And it's a major problem as is being evidenced here.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I certainly don't mean to sound insulting as I appreciate that you're putting a lot of effort in and trying to be reasonable/informed but this whole thing is why condo boards are so ridiculous. You shouldn't have people that don't understand construction responsible for dealing with construction.
    I don't disagree, but it's the best we can do. No different than any homeowner getting renos done, or a regular family getting their car fixed. Fortunately we get a reserve study done which helps us with budgeting major expenses. Many on the board are accountants, which has its pros and cons. It would be great if we had a construction PM to lean on...

Appreciate everyone's input.
    Last edited by msommers; 10-18-2020 at 09:40 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian