Quantcast
Atlantic Lobster Fishery - what the fuck is happening? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantic Lobster Fishery - what the fuck is happening?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Atlantic Lobster Fishery - what the fuck is happening?

I'm ignorant of most things to do with this, so can someone explain what the fuck is going on? I expect this stuff from the maple syrup cartel, but aren't fishermen normal pretty chill guys?
    Name:  Screenshot_20201017-101131.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  43.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

A tale as old as time. Natives likely over fishing during off season (because they can) and selling their catch illegally, while commercial fishers who are held to high standards aren't allowed to fish. Finally hit the fan, likely because of the the economic times we're in..

My Ride
    *The First*

Trouble in The Bubble? That's unpossible!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Name:  99B1E5A3-6938-4C79-B1B0-0014C42E6F94.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  62.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by oster View Post
    A tale as old as time. Natives likely over fishing during off season (because they can) and selling their catch illegally, while commercial fishers who are held to high standards aren't allowed to fish. Finally hit the fan, likely because of the the economic times we're in..
    oh look an uneducated guess filled with stereotypes.

How about a bit of facts:

Mikmaq have decided to utilize their Treaty rights. Their goal is to have the province/federal government address a court ruling from 1990s that have stated they have a right to earn a moderate living.

The govts have failed to address this ruling so the mikmaq have taken their next steps. The first nations went and sold lobster on the steps of parliament so they'd get arrested so the govt was forced to act on a previous court ruling.

As it stands the mess stems from the lack of action from both levels of govt. More importantly the rcmp are letting vehicles burn. Their letting the traps of first nations to be cut. Their letting death threats and fights go with no action. There are videos of first nations boats getting rammed and shot at with flares on the water and now first nations warehouses are getting torched.

All because rcmp fail to do their job.

Meanwhile in cities across Canada if someone does a burn out on a rainbow crosswalk setup celebrating lgbtq it becomes a hate crime investigated by the rcmp with all sorts of resources used to track the culprits down.

So far few if any charges have happened in this escalation.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I've been reading about this since the commercial fishermen pulled all the First Nations people's traps out of the water a few months ago. It's escalated this week when the fishermen trapped two First Nations guys in a building and set one guy's vehicle on fire (after pissing on it, slashing tires, and cutting wires) and dosed the lobsters with gasoline so they can't be sold and now this.

The fishermen are accusing the First Nations people of over fishing during the off season and depleting stock and the First Nations people are saying it's their right to. It all stems from the government sitting by for the last 20 years and not defining what the First Nations people can or cannot do. The fishermen have had enough and now the mob is taking things into their own hands.

More Trudeau grand standing to follow

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    oh look an uneducated guess filled with stereotypes.

How about a bit of facts:

Mikmaq have decided to utilize their Treaty rights. Their goal is to have the province/federal government address a court ruling from 1990s that have stated they have a right to earn a moderate living.

The govts have failed to address this ruling so the mikmaq have taken their next steps. The first nations went and sold lobster on the steps of parliament so they'd get arrested so the govt was forced to act on a previous court ruling.

As it stands the mess stems from the lack of action from both levels of govt. More importantly the rcmp are letting vehicles burn. Their letting the traps of first nations to be cut. Their letting death threats and fights go with no action. There are videos of first nations boats getting rammed and shot at with flares on the water and now first nations warehouses are getting torched.

All because rcmp fail to do their job.

Meanwhile in cities across Canada if someone does a burn out on a rainbow crosswalk setup celebrating lgbtq it becomes a hate crime investigated by the rcmp with all sorts of resources used to track the culprits down.

So far few if any charges have happened in this escalation.
    Sorry what is the goal of Mikmaq?

Court ruling doesnt define a moderate living... Is it possible they're taking advantage of that?

Sorry what is the goal of Mikmaq?

Court ruling doesnt define a moderate living... Is it possible they're taking advantage of that?
    to have the govt define the court ruling that states they have Treaty rights allowing them to fish and earn a moderate living. The govt failing to act over a 20 year court ruling is the cause of this mess.

More importantly the rcmp allowing the hate crimes, the death threats, the ramming of boats and now the burning of buildings are also a big problem.

Why are the rcmp doing their job?? Because they don't give a damn when it comes to first nations. Its going to get messy. I know what I would do if people were attempting to burn my buildings or threaten my life or my families.

My Ride
    Silverado

The Supreme Court also ruled the federal government can have regulations to prevent over fishing and depletion. Which they also failed to define. Everyone should be pointing fingers at the feds.

to have the govt define the court ruling that states they have Treaty rights allowing them to fish and earn a moderate living. The govt failing to act over a 20 year court ruling is the cause of this mess.

More importantly the rcmp allowing the hate crimes, the death threats, the ramming of boats and now the burning of buildings are also a big problem.

Why are the rcmp doing their job?? Because they don't give a damn when it comes to first nations. Its going to get messy. I know what I would do if people were attempting to burn my buildings or threaten my life or my families.
    Hmmmm, the court ruling already allows them to do that with no defined restriction... you seem to be glazing over the issue of over fishing, and the livelihood of those outside of the band.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    It's escalated this week when the fishermen trapped two First Nations guys in a building and set one guy's vehicle on fire (after pissing on it, slashing tires, and cutting wires) and dosed the lobsters with gasoline so they can't be sold and now this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Everyone should be pointing fingers at the feds.
    From my small amount of reading this morning, this seems accurate. If restrictions need to be placed on the native fishery to protect the stocks for everyone, then it needs to be defined clearly, by federal legislation.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Did you not see what the RCMP did last summer with the FN protests that blocked highways and such? They stood idly by while the illegal road closures went on. One person attempted to take down a highway blockade and was arrested for distrubing the peace.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    From my small amount of reading this morning, this seems accurate. If restrictions need to be placed on the native fishery to protect the stocks for everyone, then it needs to be defined clearly, by federal legislation.
    Feds are (esp now) giant pussies; worried about their reelection chances, to do ANYTHING at this point in time - besides throw more money at it.
    Last edited by revelations; 10-17-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Hmmmm, the court ruling already allows them to do that with no defined restriction... you seem to be glazing over the issue of over fishing, and the livelihood of those outside of the band.
    Its clear you don't have an understanding of things.

At no point should anyones life be put into jeopardy over things. If your okay with that then I'm assuming you'll be okay with first nations escalating things further to protect their life and their property? Theres only one logical step for first nations to take if the rcmp won't put a stop to things.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Who defines overfishing? That shouldn't be up to private individuals or corporations to define. No should enforcement to prevent it.

My Ride
    Silverado

I wish the cbc reported anywhere near as well as the BBC. Good article here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54472604

Its clear you don't have an understanding of things.

At no point should anyones life be put into jeopardy over things. If your okay with that then I'm assuming you'll be okay with first nations escalating things further to protect their life and their property? Theres only one logical step for first nations to take if the rcmp won't put a stop to things.

I dont condone the violence at all
    Last edited by oster; 10-17-2020 at 11:58 AM.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

What do they expect will happen when you have two sets of rules based solely on race. Idle no more is a two way street, I’m sure the commercial fisherman were tired of their shit. The idea that aboriginals are the stewards of the earth is laughable, they are responsible for overhunting and fishing more than anyone based on their “treaty” rights. Rules for thee but not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    What do they expect will happen when you have two sets of rules based solely on race. Idle no more is a two way street, I’m sure the commercial fisherman were tired of their shit. The idea that aboriginals are the stewards of the earth is laughable, they are responsible for overhunting and fishing more than anyone based on their “treaty” rights. Rules for thee but not for me.
    2 sets of rules indeed. White fishermen can assault, threaten, burn vehicles, burn buildings down with immunity. Imagine if we had a police force that would protect first nations people the same way they would others.

I'm curious to see how the first nations react. Time to bring out your guns to protect your property and your boats.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Seems like we actually have zero sets of rules.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast