Quantcast
Atlantic Lobster Fishery - what the fuck is happening? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlantic Lobster Fishery - what the fuck is happening?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

If there are different rules for different groups of people there will always be friction & conflict. Make those groups by stuff like race, skin colour, etc. and it only gets worse. Until humanity accepts this truth this scenario will run forever.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    bus

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except JT's trying to take away white man's guns.
    I heard FN are exempt from they new bans. Two sets of rules again

My Ride
    ute

white guilt is endemic within the Canadian population.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by redblack View Post
    I heard FN are exempt from they new bans. Two sets of rules again
    No one needs an AR15 to hunt with, unless you are native in which case banning them means they will starve.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Silverado

y'all racists

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Its actually the government who is creating this entire situation present today.

Continued white discrimination will lead to violence. One group simply cannot do whatever they want and get away with it and expect the other groups to be ok with it as a long term solution.

Equality for everyone, as per the Charter.

First of all it's not the 'white fishermen'. It's either non native, or native license holders, there can be black, asian, white or anyone else fishing on the non native licenses. The government is allowing a race based system, where it pits one against the other. And Even going as far as to allow the natives to claim to be an independent nation, with their own rules and decisions, that they just come up with.

Here's some things I've been hearing from guys in the fishery, or from the news:

'An Indigenous-run lobster fishery off the coast of southwestern Nova Scotia is increasing the size of its fleet to 10 boats from seven, creating a total capacity of 500 traps.
    When the fishery began on Sept. 17, there were seven vessels with 50 traps each, for a total of 350 traps.' - So they decide to increase their fishery by 42% in a month. - This is just a small area of Nova Scotia, not the entire provincial native allowance. The news loves to quote this 350 or 500 number, and 'what a small percentage of the over all fishery it is'.

But of the original 350 traps they were allowing themselves (and now 500) Non native fishers have claimed to have pulled upwards of 12,000 traps from the waters, by dragging the bottoms for hidden gear. Not tagged and illegally baited. They set a trawl and leave it for upwards of 2 weeks (non native fishers haul traps daily) so when they go back there's +80 lbs of lobsters in each trap, with many dead.
    Then they bait the gear with dead, spawn and undersized lobsters and sink it back down with no balloons. In order to have that many traps they don't buy bait... because they don't have too.. and it will give them the illusion that they aren't fishing very much gear if they never leave the wharf with much bait. Instead they are using under sized and egg bearing females on the spike as bait.

You may have seen videos from the natives of flares being shot off at night, claiming they were being shot at. Rather the story I heard was the natives were using sling shots and ball bearings to shoot at the non native boats pulling the illegal traps, and the flares were being used as illumination to figure out who was shooting.

Natives make up 2.7% of NS population and control 13% of the fishing licenses - with the government having paid inflated prices to acquire them for the natives, which has driven the non native license cost up drastically (which in turn makes the non natives that much more committed to ensuring the industry stays viable to protect the millions they have invested)

Now the problem is the natives are claiming to have never gave up their land (but yet also claim no one owned the land under the native way of life) But:

'The Mi’kmaq do not acknowledge they surrendered, nor that they are a conquered people, and assert claim to all of Nova Scotia; there is no applicable land cession treaty in Nova Scotia. This raises the problem of how to interpret the 1726 treaty, a part of which states, “… we…acknowledge His Said Majesty King George’s jurisdiction & dominion over the territories of the said province of Nova Scotia or Acadia …”

Similarly, in February 1849, 10 Mi’kmaw chiefs and captains presented a signed petition for aid to Lt.-Gov. John Harvey, in which they state, in part: “That a long time ago our fathers owned and occupied all the land now called Nova Scotia, our people lived upon the sides of the rivers and were a great many. We were strong but you were stronger; and we were conquered.” <taken from here - https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/op...render-292391/

This is now opening up another huge can of worms, as the natives in New Brunswick are also pursuing claim to owning NB lands.

Wolastoqey Nation filing lawsuit against N.B., Canada to seek Aboriginal land title - https://globalnews.ca/news/7378646/w...al-land-title/

Allowing the natives to make believe they still own Canada and can have their own set of rules and order isn't going to end well. Read any comment section on the above topics and you can see where it's going to escalate, both quickly and badly.

Lobster is a billion dollar industry in NS alone, this isn't some small potatoes skirmish.
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 10-19-2020 at 01:41 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

A+ contribution

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Invalid treaty = pending invasion?

My Ride

Would decentralizing (again) be a solution? Allow the East Coast to dictate its FN settlement issues and fisheries between the provinces?

It would remove trudeau from the spotlight again, by doing nothing.

I want to know when the natives in Ontario are going to blockade the train tracks in a show of solidarity.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Some interesting thoughts from a guy that was on BC's treaty negotiation committee:

"Because as research all over the world, including some conducted by my colleagues at the University of BC, Hong Kong and by me has repeatedly recorded: when an identifiable minority, often ethnic, is repeatedly awarded special status, privilege or even just preference by government and the courts to compensate for past injustices, it creates resentment and psychic tension. When the tensions reach breaking point, sometimes over an unrelated issue, the result is violence toward those minority groups seen as privileged. Accompanying that violence is a growing hatred where none existed before, a psychological phenomenon justifying the violence in the minds of the perpetrators as they witness themselves committing acts they would never before have contemplated.

Judges in Canada have been in a frenzy to promote the welfare of aboriginal people. Alas, there is now a whole generation of judges and lawyers trained very narrowly and badly by crusading law professors, demagogues who do not promote logic and deduction and the serious negative implicatons of favouring aboriginal plaintiffs, but declare by fiat that aboriginals have a special position in society based on ancient treaties or even merely statements made by the colonial English in a time when those governing officials, now foreign to Canada, gave what they saw was a crust of bread to a minority of people: hunting and fishing rights in exchange for their loyalty in conflicts with the Americans"

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    A+ contribution
    Was this the part you thought was good:

You may have seen videos from the natives of flares being shot off at night, claiming they were being shot at. Rather the story I heard was the natives were using sling shots and ball bearings to shoot at the non native boats pulling the illegal traps, and the flares were being used as illumination to figure out who was shooting.

Supa dexta's spin on the ramming of the boats comes down to commercial fisherman destroying traps belonging to first nations people. This illegal act was defended by first nations with sling shots??? Sling shots???? LMAO.

Imagine the commercial fisherman on the water that night as they destroyed the traps that didn't belong to them as the shots from sling shots landed in the dark almost striking them on their jackets. It sounds worst then DDAY. The travesty.

Imagine tho the commercial fisherman weren't illegal destroying property and we had the common sense to know the difference between right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Some interesting thoughts from a guy that was on BC's treaty negotiation committee:

"Because as research all over the world, including some conducted by my colleagues at the University of BC, Hong Kong and by me has repeatedly recorded: when an identifiable minority, often ethnic, is repeatedly awarded special status, privilege or even just preference by government and the courts to compensate for past injustices, it creates resentment and psychic tension. When the tensions reach breaking point, sometimes over an unrelated issue, the result is violence toward those minority groups seen as privileged. Accompanying that violence is a growing hatred where none existed before, a psychological phenomenon justifying the violence in the minds of the perpetrators as they witness themselves committing acts they would never before have contemplated.

Judges in Canada have been in a frenzy to promote the welfare of aboriginal people. Alas, there is now a whole generation of judges and lawyers trained very narrowly and badly by crusading law professors, demagogues who do not promote logic and deduction and the serious negative implicatons of favouring aboriginal plaintiffs, but declare by fiat that aboriginals have a special position in society based on ancient treaties or even merely statements made by the colonial English in a time when those governing officials, now foreign to Canada, gave what they saw was a crust of bread to a minority of people: hunting and fishing rights in exchange for their loyalty in conflicts with the Americans"
    Do you have a link for this?

Id be interested in reading further

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Do you have a link for this?

Id be interested in reading further
    steelheadvoices.com/?p=2225#more-2225

You are a fucking idiot. Come stand over here and I'll shoot you with a ball bearing...

Also, removing untagged, out of season traps isn't the illegal part.

My Ride
    Silverado

nvm
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 10-19-2020 at 03:31 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    Was this the part you thought was good:

Supa dexta's spin on the ramming of the boats comes down to commercial fisherman destroying traps belonging to first nations people. This illegal act was defended by first nations with sling shots??? Sling shots???? LMAO.

Imagine the commercial fisherman on the water that night as they destroyed the traps that didn't belong to them as the shots from sling shots landed in the dark almost striking them on their jackets. It sounds worst then DDAY. The travesty.

Imagine tho the commercial fisherman weren't illegal destroying property and we had the common sense to know the difference between right or wrong.
    Pretty much anything counts as an A+ contribution when compared to your trite.

fact.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

This is concerning. Can we put a bubble over their bubble? I don't want the Tsuu T'ina to get any ideas. Those Grey Eagle buffets.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Great writeup.

Pierre Trudeau, the elder, in his wisdom, despised by many for being unfeeling, (entirely ‘left brain we say in psychology) was prescient, saw the coming conflict and societal disarray and instructed his apprentice Jean Cretien to patriate the constitution from Britain and with it to eliminate any special status for aboriginal people, for Quebec, for anyone. Today in hindsight it is clear how much conflict, resentment and mistaken reliance on the federal government for bounty at the individual and provincial level that would have avoided. Alas, a national alarm was sounded by men of limited vision with perhaps misguided, kind intentions, personified by Ed Broadbent of the NDP… and Trudeau backed off.

, too bad his son is ass backwards.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast