Quantcast
Does anyone change their nuts when putting on steel wheels? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Does anyone change their nuts when putting on steel wheels?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Does anyone change their nuts when putting on steel wheels?

Earlier this year while I was taking my winters off a lug broke and when I went to get it fixed the mechanic said there were two different lug types for my car. I have never swapped my nuts out and when I got these blizzaks on steel rims they didn’t change the nuts either. I’m wondering if I should or just continue using the original nuts which look like this:

Name:  B0EA838B-1B12-4A39-ABB4-DF3699E8FFB0.jpeg
Views: 581
Size:  81.8 KB

I have tuner lugs for my summer rims, generic nuts for winter

Those closed acorn ones are good for winter IMO because they don't expose the threads at the end of the studs. You just have to make sure they don't bottom out before they get tight when using them with steel wheels..
    dv/dt

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

I had to get a set of spline drive conical wheel bolts from Kijiji since the winter setup is conical but the factory Mercedes are ball seat.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I think the mechanic was referring to the "seat" type. Ther is conical or round. The rims dictate what is needed.

If your winter rims and summer rims are both normal acorn (aka conical) lug nut seat wheels, those nuts you show should be fine for both just so long as the length of the wheel stud comes through both rims at the right amount to allow for proper thread engagement and can seat down all the way and be properly torqued.

Now of course there are variances between cars as some have lug bolts and not lug nuts (think Audi, Mercedes, BMW etc) and some have a ball (aka radius) shaped seat instead of conical (Honda/Acura), and some have mag shank with washers (think Toyota/Lexus etc) and then you need to make sure the rims you with to for winter does have the proper nuts for them.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the mechanic was referring to the "seat" type. Ther is conical or round. The rims dictate what is needed.
    They are steel rims from costco. I think they are lug centric rims, but I cant figure out if they are conical or cone. The lug nuts for my car "2014 Kia Forte" come in either conical (whats pictured) or cone. The strange thing on my car is im pretty sure the lock nut is a cone fit while the other lugs are conical. I should take them both off and take another photo.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 10-18-2020 at 08:48 AM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

My wife's car used to have open ended lug nuts with exposed thread which normally would get covered by plastic nuts that held the factory hub caps. Those caps didn't work with winter steel rims so I just used them as is with exposed threads during all winter. NOT a good idea. Over time it just got rusted to shit, until one day when I went to change tires and snapped 4 freaking bolts! Now I am super paranoids, torque wrench only, and bought new lug nuts which are closed on the end.

Doesn't answer your question, but figure I contribute if anyone has a similar situation.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Well I thought I got these steel rims initially from costco but I didnt I got them from urbanX SE so I think I should be able to trust them that the conical nuts were correct. I have looked up several steel rim retailers and none of them say what lug nuts should be used.

I guess my lock nut looks the same and the wheel also looks conical so I guess keep them the same.
    Lock nut
    Name:  74C8FFB1-FE0D-4B91-A5F6-E5FA82D02454.jpeg
Views: 444
Size:  72.0 KB

All season wheels
    Name:  1B34C933-CF77-4A5F-8867-FC4D6695D976.jpeg
Views: 450
Size:  112.2 KB
    Last edited by nzwasp; 10-18-2020 at 12:19 PM.

They are both conical... Your lock just has a bulge set which basically means the seat has more surface area, but for a steel wheel requiring cone seat, both the stock lug nut and bulge conical seats should be just fine.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Can't you just look at the steel wheel seats to see if they match up with the nut shape?