Quantcast
A790's New PC Build - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A790's New PC Build

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default A790's New PC Build

Attachment 94783

Arrives Friday. Going to order a new Ryzen 5000 series next month alongside an Asus GTX 3080. Not shown is Corsair Vengance Pro 32GB ram.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Why the two SSDs? If the one is for booting should've got a Firecuda as its cheaper and faster than the 970 PRO

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX79857

Could've just got a single fast 2tb as well:
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX79859

Otherwise it all looks good. I'm not a huge MSI fan but I know lots of people love them so seems solid.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why the two SSDs? If the one is for booting should've got a Firecuda as its cheaper and faster than the 970 PRO

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX79857

Could've just got a single fast 2tb as well:
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX79859

Otherwise it all looks good. I'm not a huge MSI fan but I know lots of people love them so seems solid.
    3 SSD's.

970 pro for boot.

1 x 2TB SSD for games and 1 x 2TB SSD for media. I got hte mobo because it looked like the best value w/ 3 M.2 slots.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

more drives is best drives. bawss build man.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Which 5000 processor? Wish I had your budget.

I remember when $2k bought you a 300A.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
    Which 5000 processor? Wish I had your budget.
    Going for the R9 5900x. Once every 3 years or so the company buys me new PC

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Going for the R9 5900x. Once every 3 years or so the company buys me new PC
    "the company"...

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I didn't realize the benchmark scores were that different for the 970 Pro vs the EVO.

Good choice.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    "the company"...
    Hey man, I do a ton of photo editing, video editing, video streaming, large file transfers, gaming, etc.. One perk of being a digital marketer/content creator is that your PC kinda has to be badass

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    I didn't realize the benchmark scores were that different for the 970 Pro vs the EVO.

Good choice.
    970 Evo Plus>970 Pro>970 Evo

https://www.pcgamer.com/samsungs-new...03%2C300MB%2Fs

The Gigabyte Aorus Master is still on sale for $429 ($100 off), I would switch to that if you still can. Has 3 M.2 slots as well if that is a must.

If this is a workstation/video editing PC, I'd look at stepping up to the 5950X if the budget allows. It's just such a good deal for what it is and will be the highest binned SKU.

If you're looking for cost savings you could drop the PCI 4.0 SSD, virtually nothing can take advantage of their speed at the moment. Dropping down to a 970 Evo/Plus might help justify the 5950X and you will see way bigger gains from that.

What RAM did you go with?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The Gigabyte Aorus Master is still on sale for $429 ($100 off), I would switch to that if you still can. Has 3 M.2 slots as well if that is a must.

If this is a workstation/video editing PC, I'd look at stepping up to the 5950X if the budget allows. It's just such a good deal for what it is and will be the highest binned SKU.

If you're looking for cost savings you could drop the PCI 4.0 SSD, virtually nothing can take advantage of their speed at the moment. Dropping down to a 970 Evo/Plus might help justify the 5950X and you will see way bigger gains from that.

Corsair Vengence RGB Pro. 32GB kit. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07GTG2T7L/

RE: Gigabyte, my buddy swears against them and yakked my ear off about going to MSI. I have no preference and and am happy with the MSI. Unless there's a real significant benefit to the Gigagbyte (I'm not "up" on mobos lol), I'll just leave it.

Corsair Vengence RGB Pro. 32GB kit. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07GTG2T7L/

RE: Gigabyte, my buddy swears against them and yakked my ear off about going to MSI. I have no preference and and am happy with the MSI. Unless there's a real significant benefit to the Gigagbyte (I'm not "up" on mobos lol), I'll just leave it.
    Specifically with X570, MSI is making by far the worst boards this time around. The Unify is actually the cheapest board they make that isn't total garbage (have a look at Hardware Unboxed's temperature comparisons). Gigabyte and ASUS are the X570 "go to" boards at almost every price point. A lot of the people hating on Gigabyte don't seem to know they revamped the BIOS for X570 and it now has the best of the X570 BIOS (X470 was bad). I don't think I have ever met a MSI fan before haha, each to their own though. Universally recommending one mobo brand over another though is a red flag because they change so much every year and with chipset revisions. I just buy whatever objective reviews point me too.

The Gigabyte board is giving you a better VRM (important for the 12+ core parts), real fins on the VRM heatsink, more troubleshooting options, dual BIOS, better BIOS, more SATA ports, proper Intel LAN (vs Realtek), etc. The Aorus Master is actually what Gamers Nexus uses for all their standardized testing. It's a steal right now at $429 - Newegg is the only one that has it on sale so it could even be a pricing error.

Grab this RAM kit instead: https://www.vuugo.com/gskill-memory-...=5108053939762

Ryzen benefits a lot more from fast RAM (unlike what many people are used to with Intel), as the CPU infinity fabric matches the RAM clock at a 1:1 ratio up to 3600Mhz. Bandwidth is much more important than timings in this case, so you can get away with a 16-19-19 kit. That GSkill NEO ram is made for Ryzen as well so compatibility should be guaranteed, just click XMP in the BIOS and you're done. I would strongly suggest not using 3200MHz RAM on a Ryzen build, the performance benefit is quite significant moving up to 3600. If you do want to stick with 3200Mhz, at least get a 14-14-14 kit, but it will probably be the same price as a 3600 MHz CL16 kit and bandwidth is more important anyway for Ryzen. Another thing you could do if you were so inclined is to buy a cheaper/slower kit based on Samsung B die or Micron E die and OC it to 3600.

Regardless of what RAM you choose, make sure you check the QVL on whatever mobo you settle on to confirm it's supported. Ryzen 3000+ doesn't have many issues anymore though. "Neo" and "Flare X" are Ryzen-specific branding just FYI.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-19-2020 at 03:08 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Attachment 94783

Arrives Friday. Going to order a new Ryzen 5000 series next month alongside an Asus GTX 3080. Not shown is Corsair Vengance Pro 32GB ram.
    Name:  disgusted-mother-of-god.png
Views: 295
Size:  103.1 KB

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Name:  disgusted-mother-of-god.png
Views: 295
Size:  103.1 KB
    That coulda been you but you didn't text me on Prime Day

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

I bought the Gigabyte Auros Master for my 10900k CPU - really decent board. I don't get too much into the brand loyalty anymore, I used to stick to only Asus for MBs and monitors. I had a 2 day old Z390 Asus Hero MB bite the big one, and then had Asus refuse to fix it under warranty. Anything can break or fail, it seems pretty random so far as PC hardware goes.

I had no idea that the Seagate Firecuda m.2 SSD was faster than the 970 Pro, I wish I'd known that last week. Once the Ryzen 5000 is out, I'll stick a Firecuda in that build instead. I had a couple extra 970 Evo 1tb left over from building my z390/9900k systems a while back, stuck those and a new 970 Pro in all 3 m.2 slots, and added a 4tb WD Black spinner I've been using for storing crap on in my 10900k system. I'm waiting like everyone else to see the availability and real world test numbers of the new Ryzen to see if I'm buying 1 of them, or 2 and replacing my remaining 9900ks with all AMD.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 10-19-2020 at 04:14 PM.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

The 970 Pro has better overall stability due to the Samsung controller on it and the way they do their 3D MLC stacks for error correction (2-bit MLC).

I had a Gigabyte board for my latest build when I started it in June, an Aorus X570 Elite, and it completely crapped out after 23 days of use. Like, deader than dead crapped out. Been running an ASUS Prime ever since and it's as stable as a rock.

Overall a kickass build
    Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    I bought the Gigabyte Auros Master for my 10900k CPU - really decent board. I don't get too much into the brand loyalty anymore, I used to stick to only Asus for MBs and monitors. I had a 2 day old Z390 Asus Hero MB bite the big one, and then had Asus refuse to fix it under warranty. Anything can break or fail, it seems pretty random so far as PC hardware goes.

I had no idea that the Seagate Firecuda m.2 SSD was faster than the 970 Pro, I wish I'd known that last week. Once the Ryzen 5000 is out, I'll stick a Firecuda in that build instead. I had a couple extra 970 Evo 1tb left over from building my z390/9900k systems a while back, stuck those and a new 970 Pro in all 3 m.2 slots, and added a 4tb WD Black spinner I've been using for storing crap on in my 10900k system. I'm waiting like everyone else to see the availability and real world test numbers of the new Ryzen to see if I'm buying 1 of them, or 2 and replacing my remaining 9900ks with all AMD.
    I'm not as familiar with the Intel variants but the X570 Aorus Master is probably the most recommended board. It gets rave reviews everywhere and has a phenomenal VRM. I couldn't care less who makes the mobo, they are all going to have a small percentage of duds so you just buy based on objective testing and hope for the best.

For someone like yourself who likes to min/max everything, the Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives are already announced and should be available soon. Those will likely be the ones to get if you want speed & quality. Moving to 3bit though is a bit disappointing on their Pro series.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond142 View Post
    I had a Gigabyte board for my latest build when I started it in June, an Aorus X570 Elite, and it completely crapped out after 23 days of use. Like, deader than dead crapped out. Been running an ASUS Prime ever since and it's as stable as a rock.
    Did you try pulling/replacing the CMOS battery? Not saying this is you necessarily, but with Gigabyte specifically, lots of people thought their board was bricked (exactly as you described, completely dead, not even an LED light on) and all they had to do was pull the battery and re-seat it to fix it. This was a really common issue for a while and people were RMA'ing perfectly fine boards.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-19-2020 at 04:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast