Quantcast
Northrock Fatbike XC00 build (suggestions?) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Northrock Fatbike XC00 build (suggestions?)

Default Northrock Fatbike XC00 build (suggestions?)

I picked one of these up for basically nothing:

https://fatbikeplanet.com/costco-nor...t-bike-review/

I know its far from a Fatboy or Sasquach - and has really basic parts when it comes to having QR hubs, Altus 7 single speed setup with square taper bb with only 155mm crank arms Tektro brakes etc...

As I have spare Avid BB7 brakes w/180mm rotors, a old 60mm Specialize Stem/740 bar combo with lock ons... I think all I will need to figure out a drivetrain.

I haven't taken the rear wheel off yet, but I was told that the Altus hub is a "freehub" 7 speed 14-28 which lacks range and not being a cassette driver means there is no option to put on a XD cassette for a proper 1x

I've been told I should look at getting an extended range 8 speed freehub which is like an 11-34... but even at that, the 36 CR and front crank still would be under-geared.

I'm thinking that the cheapest way to start is to add a front Der - being a square taper there is no shortage of cheap front cranks at normal 170/175 length arms and a 22/36 combo... Thing is, how do you mount one? with the 100mm BB/crank spacing, is there something special that has to be done?

Anyone else have experience with bike?
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 10-25-2020 at 05:39 PM.

after a whole bunch of back and forth to figure this out - call a FAQ
    The Costco El-Cheapo Fat Bike - NorthRock XC00 Drivetrain upgrade from Altus 1x 7 speed

What you need and what is special:
    Special:
    100mm Bottom Bracket Direct Mount Front Derailleur Adapter (like a problem solvers, or Origin that is on Amazon, or a few they have remaining at Bow Cycle)
    Direct Mount Front Derailleur
    a Longer Square Taper Bottom Bracket (available on Amazon) 100mm "shell" x 177mm in length to ensure Chain alignment
    8 Speed "Free wheel" and not a cassette - max number of gears that will fit the hub and I recommend the Sunrace 11-34, as that's the most range you can find)

You really can't get away find a larger range Freewheel than the 11-34 and doesn't work well as a 1x as the stock Crank has a welded on 36 chainring which is far too tall of range

Regular stuffs:
    Front Shifter
    8 Speed rear Shifter (trying to find anything good is a battle, otherwise you're stuck with Acera)
    Any 2 or 3x Square taper Crank OR replace the whole crankset with a hollow tech BB and a 100mm Fat bike crankset
    8 Speed rear Der (but you can use any 9 speed rear Der, as it is the same pull and limited by the shifter)

The longer (177) square taper arms on the 100MM BB is a MUST for the 2/3x to work and the Chainline as it pushes the crankset out by from the stock 155 arms
    The Direct Mount spacer and Direct Mount front Derailler is also NECESSARY as you don't have anything to pull cable tension and need to be able to space the Front Der to accommodate the 100MM bottom bracket

Other than buying the Sunrace Cassette, spacer and X5 front Der from Bow Cycle, and the Bottom bracket from Amazon ($37 bucks same day delivery)
    I did my build with a parts sitting around like: Deore 3x front shifter, XT 8 speed rear shifter, 9 speed XT rear Der, and found a Acera 3x crank which is really the biggest difference as it is a 22/32/42 and has crank arms of 175mm vs the stock 152mm

Overall the upgrade to a 3x7 (24 speed) was "cheap" but just took time to figure out

The stock bike's build is "ok" for commuting for anything Trail level you'd want to do this:

Better Tires - the stock Gigas are low rolling and good for pavement commuting but nothing else - I believe the tire and frame can accommodate up to 4.5inch wide
    Better Brakes - at least get to 180MM rotor in the front, but better mech brakes for sure (i.e. BB7s)
    Better Pedals - unless you wear clipless a wide flat to accommodate boots is a must
    Better cockpit with lock on grips, wider bars, stems for your size (as its a one size fit all frame)

even with everything "done" it lacks the benefits of having more solid Thru-axels with some odd 100 and 170 with spacers on quick releases.

Everything can be done really economical if you source or own most of these used parts as a lot of Bike enthusiasts do... so for a Base price of $500 from Costco, is it worth it? I still think its ok
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 11-04-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Do you have any pictures of the front deraileur mounted and how the cables are ran?