Quantcast
RESP targets - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: RESP targets

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you just want to max the grant money it's just $2500/year since its 20% grant ($500).

If you want to hit max lifetime contribution, get all the grant money and have max potential growth for RESP you should invest $15000 when opening it, then $2500/year for the next 14 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by dezmarez View Post
    ^^^this is the correct strategy, if you have the means to do it of course.
    So what's the point of going max total vs. max grant money? You can't deduct contributions so if I'm paying over the top of the maximum grant contributions threshold ($36,000) I don't see the benefit. That extra $14K is paid with after tax dollars whether I dump it in my kid's RESP or leave it in my own taxable brokerage account. If it comes out of the RESP my kid has to claim it as income so in essence it's double taxed, once when I earned it and then again when my kid spends it. What am I missing here?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    So what's the point of going max total vs. max grant money? You can't deduct contributions so if I'm paying over the top of the maximum grant contributions threshold ($36,000) I don't see the benefit. That extra $14K is paid with after tax dollars whether I dump it in my kid's RESP or leave it in my own taxable brokerage account. If it comes out of the RESP my kid has to claim it as income so in essence it's double taxed, once when I earned it and then again when my kid spends it. What am I missing here?
    The growth inside is tax free. It’s not as good as RESP. But it’s still better than nothing.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Unless everything else is maxed out (RRSP, TFSA, etc), I don't think maxing out the lifetime RESP contribution makes sense. I only do the $2500/year to maximize the grants.

I just put that strategy out there for people that want to maximize RESP completely. Front load the contribution to get the most out of it.
    ---

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah I think for most people, maxing out the grants is a pretty nice start. you put in $2500/yr, get $500, do that for 15 years, make 5% on your investments, and you have ~$65k before they enter university.

That's not going to cover every dollar for tuition, books, housing, food, travel etc for a big-name foreign university, but it'll handle a good chunk of a 4-year Canadian undergrad degree.
    If my kids end up going to MIT or CalTech or Cambridge or anything, they'd better get some hefty scholarships!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

The other benefit to maximizing the contribution to $50K is that additional interest earned. When your kid finally goes to school, you have 3 buckets of money in the RESP:

Contributions: $50,000 (if you contribute the max)
    Grant: $7,200
    Gains: $20,000 (an example)

So at that point, if you want, you can take your entire $50K out personally and blow it. It is tax free money to you or your kid. The $7,200 grant money, is taxed if your kid takes it out, and if they don't go to school, it is lost. The gains which will obviously be higher if you max out the contributions are taxed to either your kid if they use it, or you if you take it out.

The biggest negative to maxing out the contribution is if your kid doesn't go, you will end up with a tax bill. But not the end of the world.

Personally I have been maxing out, with my fingers crossed that the kids won't need everything in there. I am hoping to do something stupid with the leftover money.

Also, at this point my wife and I haven't even decided how much we are giving our kids (and technically we don't know if either will go to post-secondary school at this point). But we are still going to make sure the fund is as high as possible to give us more options.

And my biggest advice is to start maxing out asap. We didn't as I wasn't aware (to lazy to actually look into details at the time) that your contributions could come back to you so we started small thinking "well my parents didn't give me anything, I don't want to spoil mine". But max out. You can always decide if you like your kid or not later.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Also, kid doesn't need to be in a bachelors degree to qualify. Many types of schooling qualify, I have a niece who went to esthetics school and use her RESP for that. Weirdly, she's turned that training into a pretty reasonable career path. I did not see that coming.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    R50

If you can contribute and invest fully for the first 14.5 years to take advantage of the grant, that's a really solid foundation to get them on their way. They can work part time to supplement. If you guys recall the sober fragments between the binge drinking, it wasn't hard to balance school with a job.

I've actually been thinking about the exit strategy as I feel there are ways to launder money back to the parents. First, as long as your kid is enrolled for more than 13 months, they can withdraw the entire amount for whatever that is related for school. Second, if they don't go to school there is no tax bill. It can be kept in RESP for 36 more years if they need to use it, or transferred to your own RRSP tax free.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...sp/use.html#h1

Buy a property, stick the kid in it, kid pays rent, you give money from RESP to kid to pay rent.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Buy a property, stick the kid in it, kid pays rent, you give money from RESP to kid to pay rent.
    That sounds like something a Kushner would do. Brilliant!

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Is this not everyone's plan???

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Is this not everyone's plan???
    Not having the kid in the first place definitely makes more sense
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

Only accumulated income and grant money is taxed. Your after tax contributions aren’t taxed when they are withdrawn.

Think of the accumulated income as a form of income splitting with your child, as the growth will be taxed in your child’s hands, who in theory, would be in a lower marginal tax rate than the parents.
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dezmarez View Post
    Only accumulated income and grant money is taxed. Your after tax contributions aren’t taxed when they are withdrawn.

Think of the accumulated income as a form of income splitting with your child, as the growth will be taxed in your child’s hands, who in theory, would be in a lower marginal tax rate than the parents.
    I see I see said the blind man...who picked up a hammer and saw!

I didn't realize that it was only the grant & growth money that was taxed, that makes much more sense. Thanks!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Had a chat with my financial advisor this week about this topic again, and just for reference in case anyone wanted a data point, a full year at UofC these days is about $10k, plus another $10k if they live in residence and buy a meal plan.
    So, $20k/yr for school, room and board at a middle-of-the-road Canadian university.
    I'm not re-doing the math, but earlier in the thread I said that merely maxing out the grant money gets you to $65k in 14 years of savings. Not a bad start.
    I had a look at the sait website, but it's more confusing, which I think says a lot about about the kind of students they expect at UofC vs SAIT. Clearly you need less RESP if your kid does a 2 year diploma instead of a 4-6 year undregraduate degree.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I just looked up my old programs costs at SAIT... un-freaking believable. If prices just stayed with inflation since 2000, it should be $4g/year, but it's now $6.5g instead, plus fees, books, tools etc. means around $10g per year as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I just looked up my old programs costs at SAIT... un-freaking believable. If prices just stayed with inflation since 2000, it should be $4g/year, but it's now $6.5g instead, plus fees, books, tools etc. means around $10g per year as well.
    6.5g?

https://www.sait.ca/programs-and-cou...re-development

$11g + $2K in books and fees per year.

https://www.sait.ca/programs-and-cou...ing-technology

$7.5g + $2K in books and fees per year.

Also education has never follow normal inflation curve since demand got higher and resource remain pretty much the same.

I remember in the 90s talking to my seniors who graduated in the 70s said they pay like $600/yr on tuition and I paid close to 2k. 20 years later, friend kids are paying close to $7k per semester at U of C in the 2010s.

So if it trends the same, in 15 to 20 years, cost of tuition should triple again and tuition alone should be ~$30k per year by 2040.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-28-2023 at 02:41 PM.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

We've targeted to have $20k per year x 4 years for each of our kids by the time they hit post secondary school age (5yo and 3yo now). I figure this would probably be about 3/4 of tution + room and board by the time you've factored in price increases over the next 15 years. Anything above and beyond that they are responsible for.

I think its important for the kids to have a little bit of skin in the game so they don't piss it all away but not so much as to cripple them for the first 5-10 years coming out of a reasonable program. My wife's parents covered the first semesters tuition plus all books and the girls covered the second semester every year. This let them either not work or only get a casual job during school (lifeguarding on campus) and then save the ~5k over the summer for the next year. They both lived at home so expenses were much less but at the end of the day my wife graduated with no student loans where I had ~$50k. I thought that was great middle ground and am planning to do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

AI will make university obselete! ChatPHD to the moon!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Good point about inflation above. It's worthwhile to understand if you are planning in todays dollars or tomorrows dollars, and how education may not inflate at the same rate as the rest of the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    We've targeted to have $20k per year x 4 years for each of our kids by the time they hit post secondary school age (5yo and 3yo now). I figure this would probably be about 3/4 of tution + room and board by the time you've factored in price increases over the next 15 years. Anything above and beyond that they are responsible for.

I think its important for the kids to have a little bit of skin in the game so they don't piss it all away but not so much as to cripple them for the first 5-10 years coming out of a reasonable program. My wife's parents covered the first semesters tuition plus all books and the girls covered the second semester every year. This let them either not work or only get a casual job during school (lifeguarding on campus) and then save the ~5k over the summer for the next year. They both lived at home so expenses were much less but at the end of the day my wife graduated with no student loans where I had ~$50k. I thought that was great middle ground and am planning to do the same.
    This. Targeting for slightly less but idea is the same. It'll be a subsidy rather than a free ride. Skin in the game. Anecdotally people who had tuition covered by means other than scholarship have been spoiled by the experience.

If a kid is willing to work hard and manage their $$$ properly even being $50K to 100K in the hole won't stop them from accomplishing what they set out to do. Same is true vice versa. Overcoming that challenge is the whole point.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast