Quantcast
Telus Fibre Optic line install vs home value - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Telus Fibre Optic line install vs home value

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Starlink would take years to deploy before it's even remotely good. And from the tech brief, they can't serve any cities with high pop density due to low bandwidth. It would be like everything trying to get a good 4G signal in Saddledome.
    Factual accuracy aside, the OP isn't asking about GETTING fibre, they are asking if fibre will really increase the value of their home. That implies they are forward-looking right now. Starlink hasn't even launched their private beta yet, so using it as a basis of decision-making now would be inappropriate. Who knows what it will look like in the near future, though it is most certainly to have growing pains.

HOWEVER, with 60GHz mm wave providing short-distance wireless backhaul (just became broadly available in Sept), Starlink, etc., it stands to reason that the need/importance of fibre has nowhere to go but down. The fact is that the telco's and province took too long to get it in the ground, and by the time they're done, it will likely be supplanted, or at least greatly diminished in importance, by new technologies that cropped up along the way.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    They are putting the conduits within the legal right of way on most properties.
    This is a moot point. People don't move to Airdrie for high speed internet. giggity.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Telus tried many times to convince me to let them do fibre to my house.
    I told them several times that the side of the house that services come in, is NOT where the utility room is. Finished basement. Phone/cable/Power goes under, and through the now finished ceiling. How are you going to get fibre in? No answer. Then they said, we can come up the other side. Oh, under the concrete sidewalk/stairs? No thanks, plus we're happy with Shaw. 850 down 110 up any time of the day or night.
    But your resale value! Really? Get fucked.
    Even then they fucked up my lawn multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    Telus tried many times to convince me to let them do fibre to my house.
    I told them several times that the side of the house that services come in, is NOT where the utility room is. Finished basement. Phone/cable/Power goes under, and through the now finished ceiling. How are you going to get fibre in? No answer. Then they said, we can come up the other side. Oh, under the concrete sidewalk/stairs? No thanks, plus we're happy with Shaw. 850 down 110 up any time of the day or night.
    But your resale value! Really? Get fucked.
    Even then they fucked up my lawn multiple times.
    I think we're in the same boat lol thanks for your input

The amount of people I hear talking about Telus like their God's gift to Calgary is insane lol I do very basic web browsing (email/Beyond/Facebook/banking) and watch maybe half an hour of Netflix on average per day...I really don't give a shit how fast your internet speed is you freakin nerd.
    Last edited by JohnnyHockey13; 10-27-2020 at 02:12 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    II really don't give a shit how fast your internet speed is you freakin nerd.
    I backup all my cat photos regularly and the upload speed is important, swinger.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    HOWEVER, with 60GHz mm wave providing short-distance wireless backhaul (just became broadly available in Sept), Starlink, etc., it stands to reason that the need/importance of fibre has nowhere to go but down. The fact is that the telco's and province took too long to get it in the ground, and by the time they're done, it will likely be supplanted, or at least greatly diminished in importance, by new technologies that cropped up along the way.
    Will agree to a degree. But seeing performance of 28 and 39Ghz Verizon 5G, I can't see that replacing fiber if you want consistency/stability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_fade

60Ghz would pose even bigger challenge.

My Ride
    ute

Telus is coming to run the fibre to my house on Nov5.

I DM'd Elon, but he said no go on the wireless magic before then.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Will agree to a degree. But seeing performance of 28 and 39Ghz Verizon 5G, I can't see that replacing fiber if you want consistency/stability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_fade

60Ghz would pose even bigger challenge.
    60 GHz is what you would use in a mesh network for an urban centre. Think: condos in downtown Calgary or something. It's not an end all be all solution. But, it IS a solution and the tech like it is getting better all the time. Right now I'm marketing a "wireless needs wires" campaign, but even the structured cable providers know that a day is coming soon where wireless backhaul will be what is standard for campus area networks and the like.

Tech like Starlink, 5G, etc. are imperfect now but improving fast. People who think old school sound today like what people in 2015 did about electric cars and Tesla. Now you've got Tesla at nearly 500k cars a year and the Taycan was Porsche's top seller last quarter.

In my view, all this matters because if I don't care about actual fibre service today, I sure wouldn't take the position that not having it lowers the value of my house. The only example of someone caring about fibre in this thread also wound up buying a house without a fibre line preinstalled.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

60 GHz is what you would use in a mesh network for an urban centre. Think: condos in downtown Calgary or something. It's not an end all be all solution. But, it IS a solution and the tech like it is getting better all the time. Right now I'm marketing a "wireless needs wires" campaign, but even the structured cable providers know that a day is coming soon where wireless backhaul will be what is standard for campus area networks and the like.

Tech like Starlink, 5G, etc. are imperfect now but improving fast. People who think old school sound today like what people in 2015 did about electric cars and Tesla. Now you've got Tesla at nearly 500k cars a year and the Taycan was Porsche's top seller last quarter.

In my view, all this matters because if I don't care about actual fibre service today, I sure wouldn't take the position that not having it lowers the value of my house. The only example of someone caring about fibre in this thread also wound up buying a house without a fibre line preinstalled.
    What needs to be taken into account is the cost of rollout. We’re talking about non point to point and one to many implementations, where the higher the bandwidth required, the closer the wireless stations needs to be resulting in exponentially higher costs. While the utopia of a fully wireless network is technically possible, it’s not when costs and resistance to rollout because NIMBYs are taken into consideration. The math just gets worse as our bandwidth needs continue to grow.

Shaw completely lucked out being able to stretch their 50 year old coax last mile to the home network to where we are today, and there’s even more bandwidth to be had once they decommission their broadcast channels on cable and move everyone to IPTV. They’re already starting it with their bluecurve 4K boxes. Phone companies got shafted with their last mile twisted pair to the home.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    What needs to be taken into account is the cost of rollout. We’re talking about non point to point and one to many implementations, where the higher the bandwidth required, the closer the wireless stations needs to be resulting in exponentially higher costs. While the utopia of a fully wireless network is technically possible, it’s not when costs and resistance to rollout because NIMBYs are taken into consideration. The math just gets worse as our bandwidth needs continue to grow.

Shaw completely lucked out being able to stretch their 50 year old coax last mile to the home network to where we are today, and there’s even more bandwidth to be had once they decommission their broadcast channels on cable and move everyone to IPTV. They’re already starting it with their bluecurve 4K boxes. Phone companies got shafted with their last mile twisted pair to the home.
    It costs a helluva lot less to install some APs every 200m than it does to tear up tarmac to dig a trench.

You've got a thing against wireless. All good, I get it. But that doesn't change the fact that wireless tech is evolving faster than any other part of networking. Fibre's days of being a "necessity" for gigabit service are numbered (and that number is pretty small today).

My Ride
    is broken

Starlink will rarely be available in the city. Its meant for low density area not urban.

OP if there is a Utility right of way on your property then Telus has access to that. You agreed to it and its legally binding. However those usually dont extend to the home so they would just run fiber down the alley or whatever.
    IMO get the fiber. even if your not technie it will help with property value.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 12-07-2020 at 10:45 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It costs a helluva lot less to install some APs every 200m than it does to tear up tarmac to dig a trench.

You've got a thing against wireless. All good, I get it. But that doesn't change the fact that wireless tech is evolving faster than any other part of networking. Fibre's days of being a "necessity" for gigabit service are numbered (and that number is pretty small today).
    I’ve got nothing against wireless. In fact, I can’t stand wires. Visit my house and you’ll notice how much money I’ve spent to have the perception of wire free by hiding any wiring that I can. I’ve spent silly amounts of money to ensure I can use as many devices wirelessly and reliably inside the home.

What I am tho is a realist who’s followed wireless technologies for decades. We’re not there yet, and I don’t know if we’ll ever be with bandwidth needs outpacing wireless performance gains.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

What I am tho is a realist who’s followed wireless technologies for decades. We’re not there yet, and I don’t know if we’ll ever be with bandwidth needs outpacing wireless performance gains.
    Guess we'll see. You sound hella old school to me, mate.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Guess we'll see. You sound hella old school to me, mate.
    Yea, I'm definitely not as bleeding edge as I used to be. I'm definitely not excited until things mature from vapourware to proven, and maybe even past that to cost effective.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

If a Telus fibre connection is the reason your house didn't sell....you don't have a house worth selling.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride

Yea, I'm definitely not as bleeding edge as I used to be. I'm definitely not excited until things mature from vapourware to proven, and maybe even past that to cost effective.
    That's a very pragmatic view to be honest. It's hard to argue with that.

I'm bullish in general, but it may be because I am also drinking the Koolaid.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

This is not a today or 5 year question, but more of a 10 year question.

In 10 years, with, lets say, 10gbs connection speeds becoming common, fiber will be one option that many will look to as more and more people will be cutting their cable TVs and stream what they want and when.

This is something that realtors will start putting in FS ads down the road (connection speeds) as our household data use keeps on getting bigger and bigger.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This is not a today or 5 year question, but more of a 10 year question.

In 10 years, with, lets say, 10gbs connection speeds becoming common, fiber will be one option that many will look to as more and more people will be cutting their cable TVs and stream what they want and when.

This is something that realtors will start putting in FS ads down the road (connection speeds) as our household data use keeps on getting bigger and bigger.
    Well, hang on.

WiFi protocol cycles aren't that short. 802.11 ax is just being properly rolled out now and you can expect it to hang around for at least as long as 802.11 ac did. Chances are that in the next 10 years the next version of the WiFi protocol is released, but the odds of it having anywhere near 10 gbps of bandwidth is low. The odds of that being a common connection are even lower.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast