Quantcast
Telus Fibre Optic line install vs home value - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Telus Fibre Optic line install vs home value

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a very pragmatic view to be honest. It's hard to argue with that.

I'm bullish in general, but it may be because I am also drinking the Koolaid.
    It isn't pragmatism. It's old age. haha. Well for me at least.

I used to install the development beta of the new iOS as soon as it was available. It took me 2-3 days to install iOS14 after it was available. Bleeding edge loses it luster as you grow older.

I waited for Tesla to workout the bugs on the Model 3 before buying one. They are still working out the bugs. I expect Starlink to have a lot of issues and to also get cheaper as adoption increases. Elon always makes the bleeding edge people pay to bring the completed tech to the masses.

If TELUS brings fiber to my house, you better believe I will let them dig up my yard!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Elon always makes the bleeding edge people pay to bring the completed tech to the masses.
    Its definitely not just Elon - this holds true for most new tech products these days - from RING doorbells to iphones to MS flight simulator.

Dont be an alpha or beta tester unless you have the money and patience or the new tech is something that will significantly improve your life or business.

I always wait at least 6 months of launch date of anything new (hardware or software) before considering implementation for myself or my clients.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    It isn't pragmatism. It's old age. haha. Well for me at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Dont be an alpha or beta tester unless you have the money and patience or the new tech is something that will significantly improve your life or business.
    This summarizes it well for me. I just don't have the time or patience to invest in things that don't pan out anymore. What used to be fun is now annoying. From a wireless perspective, when I say I'm being a realist, it's history that's really put a black mark on wireless. Even today. the most basic of wireless routers promises incredibly high theoretical bandwidth only to deliver half of it real world. Coupled with the fact that wireless has to fight an uphill battle in delivering as a broadcast vs point to point, you can see how I'm reluctant to believe that we can replace high capacity point to point solution purely with wireless.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

So a lot of people who responded here are tech/IT type people....I'm still genuinely curious why the average person such as myself would want or desire Telus Fibre Optic?

My house is about 1900 sq ft, so I'd say a couple with 2 kids is the most likely to live here. We don't have kids so maybe with kids you need more internet speed? I dunno, I just don't get it. When my neice/nephew sleep over with their iPads, the internet still works perfectly fine (Shaw 300) with all of us on our devices.
    Last edited by JohnnyHockey13; 10-29-2020 at 11:36 AM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    So a lot of people who responded here are tech/IT type people....I'm still genuinely curious why the average person such as myself would want or desire Telus Fibre Optic?

My house is about 1900 sq ft, so I'd say a couple with 2 kids is the most likely. We don't have kids so maybe with kids you need more internet speed? I dunno, I just don't get it. When my neice/nephew sleep over with their iPads, the internet still works perfectly fine (Shaw 300) with all of us on our devices.
    Mostly its the upload.

My Ride
    Bicycle

My house is about 1900 sq ft, so I'd say a couple with 2 kids is the most likely to live here. We don't have kids so maybe with kids you need more internet speed? I dunno, I just don't get it. When my neice/nephew sleep over with their iPads, the internet still works perfectly fine (Shaw 300) with all of us on our devices.
    It's for people who live streams their contents to the public. Download, any internet will do. You pay for what how fast you want it to come down.

Telus fiber has upload up to 1Gbps and Shaw gives to 20Mbps max. So the difference is 50 fold.

I don't know how mainstream live streaming is as a job, especially in Calgary. But houses with Shaw only connection will be overlooked by this crowd which could be very minority. But if you look ahead 10years when streaming yourself in 4K is the norm, Shaw doesn't have anything that can handle that.

But kids these days can't afford to buy a home anyway.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    It's for people who live streams their contents to the public. Download, any internet will do. You pay for what how fast you want it to come down.

Telus fiber has upload up to 1Gbps and Shaw gives to 20Mbps max.
    Shaw has up to 100Mbps max upload right now, probably higher in the future.
    I get 108 fairly regularly.

My Ride

So a lot of people who responded here are tech/IT type people....I'm still genuinely curious why the average person such as myself would want or desire Telus Fibre Optic?.
    Again, the question is not so much why in 2020, but why in 2030? If you have the opportunity for a fiber connection now for cheap (install), I would suggest it.

As far as needing fiber TODAY - most folks run into WIFI issues, rather than ISP bandwidth.

In 2030 we may all be wearing the next body tech, augmented reality glasses or be Elon musk-connected from our brains to the internet.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Telus fiber has upload up to 1Gbps and Shaw gives to 20Mbps max. So the difference is 50 fold.

I don't know how mainstream live streaming is as a job, especially in Calgary. But houses with Shaw only connection will be overlooked by this crowd which could be very minority. But if you look ahead 10years when streaming yourself in 4K is the norm, Shaw doesn't have anything that can handle that.

But kids these days can't afford to buy a home anyway.
    As others have said, Shaw's at 100mbps upload now. My kids have their YouTube channels, and yea, uploading was painful at 20mbps because I render their shit in 4K. It's decent now at 100mbps. Much quicker to upload than for YouTube to process, so having 1gbps isn't changing much for me when Youtube is the bottleneck.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Again, the question is not so much why in 2020, but why in 2030? If you have the opportunity for a fiber connection now for cheap (install), I would suggest it.

As far as needing fiber TODAY - most folks run into WIFI issues, rather than ISP bandwidth.

In 2030 we may all be wearing the next body tech, augmented reality glasses or be Elon musk-connected from our brains to the internet.
    From what I'm reading here though, its all going to be satelite access though no?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I just don't have the time or patience to invest in things that don't pan out anymore. What used to be fun is now annoying. From a wireless perspective, when I say I'm being a realist, it's history that's really put a black mark on wireless. Even today. the most basic of wireless routers promises incredibly high theoretical bandwidth only to deliver half of it real world.
    I'm with you here. "Wave 2" and the link flopped pretty bad. I only got an AX router last week (not that it makes a difference with my hardwired PC and SG9 lol).

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

One Practical benefit to Telus vs Shaw for a WFH alot of people can relate to - latency.

Remoting into my desktop in the office (fibre) from home ( also fibre ) its seemless, no lag and you would have to be paying really close attention to notice I am not running the OS natively and instead using RDP.

When I have tried to do the same on my parents shaw connection, or *shudder* Wifi, its not even a comparison.

Dont need to be a tech nerd to notice your mouse lagging across the screen at 50-100ms.

I dont even like using my surface in the office despite a full Unifi HD array, being handcuffed to wifi makes it unusable compared to my workstation for loading files etc., its borderline embarassing. Ill saturate my GB connection on my desktop pulling big files off of sharepoint or a network drive regularly.
    Last edited by killramos; 10-29-2020 at 12:46 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    One Practical benefit to Telus vs Shaw for a WFH alot of people can relate to - latency.

Remoting into my desktop in the office (fibre) from home ( also fibre ) its seemless, no lag and you would have to be paying really close attention to notice I am not running the OS natively and instead using RDP.

When I have tried to do the same on my parents shaw connection, or *shudder* Wifi, its not even a comparison.

Dont need to be a tech nerd to notice your mouse lagging across the screen at 50-100ms.

I dont even like using my surface in the office despite a full Unifi HD array, being handcuffed to wifi makes it unusable compared to my workstation for loading files etc., its borderline embarassing. Ill saturate my GB connection on my desktop pulling big files off of sharepoint or a network drive regularly.
    Dont you have peons to do the grunt work for you?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Dont you have peons to do the grunt work for you?
    I am everyone’s Peon

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride

From what I'm reading here though, its all going to be satelite access though no?
    Def not in major urban areas - esp with the infrastructure in place.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

All I can say is something is wrong at your parents house. I’ve managed beyond completely remotely since the beginning over RDP on Shaw with nothing like you described. I’ve played my home Xbox remotely from the office with no lag and that was during the days of shitty 20mbps uploads. It’s literally no different than local.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

All I can say is something is wrong at your parents house. I’ve managed beyond completely remotely since the beginning over RDP on Shaw with nothing like you described. I’ve played my home Xbox remotely from the office with no lag and that was during the days of shitty 20mbps uploads. It’s literally no different than local.
    Probably something wrong then, I dunno. Just an anecdote in my case, I’ve had other coworkers cursing Shaw during WFH but it’s hard to say how sophisticated their setups are.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Probably something wrong then, I dunno. Just an anecdote in my case, I’ve had other coworkers cursing Shaw during WFH but it’s hard to say how sophisticated their setups are.
    Yea, I have one co-worker who curses shaw cuz of inconsistent speeds and outages. He's in Silver Springs. So yea don't get me wrong, there are areas where Shaw is shit. Just sucks for him Telus is even shittier with no fiber there haha.

But yea, just taking a quick look, I'm averaging 19ms pings to my Beyond servers in Oregon. Speedtest continues to deliver 4ms pings to the closest servers not Shaw (Cybera) so the difference between Telus is really not noticeable to a normal human being.

My Ride

There is shit shaw/telus service to your box and then there is shit shaw/telus WIFI. Two VERY different things.

People complaining about Shaw or Telus almost never know the real cause - they call in to the ISP, complain about speed and the CSR just reboots their wifi .... lol

+1

I switched from Shaw (600) to Telus (1G) back in May no difference at all. Both my wife and I are still WFH.

Biggest difference between when I was WFH in the summer of 2014 to this year is our CITRIX capacity at work.

I would get a slight delay from when my mouse moved and what was displayed. It took a while to get used to it but I was fine after a while (this is doing GIS work not looking at documents/spread sheets etc.).

When we first were send home on March 4th it was good then everyone else was sent home 2 weeks later and it was slower till they ramped up capacity (very quickly). Back to like I'm local. lol

I'd rather buy a house with both then only one option. No way I would be the only house on the block not to have fiber! That's nuts!
    Last edited by ipeefreely; 10-29-2020 at 09:17 PM. Reason: back on topic
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3