Quantcast
Telus Fibre Optic line install vs home value - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Telus Fibre Optic line install vs home value

Default Telus Fibre Optic line install vs home value

Telus is coming through our neigborhood right now to put the Optic lines.

We have elaborate gardens in front and don't want them ruined nor do we care to have Telus (they've already dug up part of our rock garden and destroyed plants, a couple that had sentimental value, weren't removed because they never even gave notice of when they were coming and when they did, the guy at the time said they didn't need to dig ours)....from other pictures on online, I feel they are going to be doing even more damage to have the line to our house and I'd rather not deal with this at all.

They've been threatening people saying that it'll be harder to sell our homes if don't allow them to connect the lines to our house.

I find this laughable. I'm perfectly happy with Shaw. Who gives a shit if Telus is faster, I'm not a professional gamer nor am I streaming movies on 5 different devices 24 hours a day.

What are beyonders thoughts on this? Are there potential home buyers out there that are demanding Telus Optic hookup?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

lol what a dumbass line. Starlink and services like it have effectively made the need for fiber redundant.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are beyonders thoughts on this? Are there potential home buyers out there that are demanding Telus Optic hookup?
    Shaw upload is becoming a bit slow for streamers. So if the streamer economy keeps on expanding, houses without fiber will not be considered.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

I think I'm in the same hood as you and yeah they've done a piss poor job of communicating anything. At least it sounds like they've come and talked to you, I've yet to hear anything from them. Sagewood had their install done over the summer if you want to take a look at how they remediated things.
    Personally, I'm someone that wanted fibre and bought my house anyways knowing that it wasn't installed so I don't believe that it would be a dealbreaker when trying to move your home.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    lol what a dumbass line. Starlink and services like it have effectively made the need for fiber redundant.
    What's the latency like on Starlink? How is it affected by weather?

Like anything wireless, I'm a firm believer that a hardline is always better and more reliable. Light through the sky that scatters or light through glass? I'd go with glass.

When we were looking for a new place after selling our house, Fiber was a huge part of the decision. Where we ended up didn't have fiber, but the other criteria had more power.

I don't think it will affect your resale price, however the pool of potential buyers could shrink.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Who knows and who knows, it's too early to tell. However, the days of wires being infallible are numbered.

I write this on a PC hardwired into the router

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post

Like anything wireless, I'm a firm believer that a hardline is always better and more reliable. Light through the sky that scatters or light through glass? I'd go with glass.

When we were looking for a new place after selling our house, Fiber was a huge part of the decision. Where we ended up didn't have fiber, but the other criteria had more power.

I don't think it will affect your resale price, however the pool of potential buyers could shrink.
    +1 on all counts
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I would welcome Telus to install fiber at my house.

1) it's on the side that I really don't care if they dig up.

2) Shaw always gives me the cold shoulder whenever they pull up my postal code and knows I got no options but downgrade to Telus DSL.

My Ride
    Cummins F10

I had the upgrade to Telus fibre over the summer, and barely noticed a difference in speed.
    Luckily it didn't cost anything to upgrade
    Originally posted by Mibz
    The criteria for being a Beyond Baller is simply knowing you are one.
    Deleted F10 535d
    My hybrid burns Diesel & Oil

My Ride
    V8s

TIL plants in the yard can have sentimental value to some people.

RE: OP, that's bullshit they're bullying people to do the install. They've ruined a bunch of grass around my neighbourhood doing this, and I'm positive it will be up to the homeowners to remediate their own yards. I'd tell them to FO, and this will be a rounding error in the cost of selling a house (if it factors at all).
    Last edited by bjstare; 10-26-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Do people list that their home has fibre optic when they are selling it? I've never seen this before and I've never asked when buying a house either. I don't think it will change the value of your home.

My Ride
    Goes Vrr and PShh.

Telus just came into my neighborhood, (Mt. Parks section of McKenzie Lake) they fubared up everybody's lawn.

The Telus rep was very aggressive to get the line connected to my house. Said the cost to connect the line after would go up substantially if I waited to get it connected.

Can a Telus rep confirm this? Shouldn't it be free to get it connected from the service box into my house? You know.. to use their crap service LOL.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by FunWheelDrive View Post

Can a Telus rep confirm this? Shouldn't it be free to get it connected from the service box into my house? You know.. to use their crap service LOL.
    I don't see how it would be free after the fact, if there is no conduit. Seems like lots of work to connect a single customer, I'm actually surprised they are retrofitting old houses at all. I presume right now they are digging and installing conduit and fiber. Also their service isn't really crap, been a happy fiber owner for like 10 years now, and although it didn't play into my decision on buying the house, when I saw the fiber cable in the basement my eyes lit up, and as soon as it was available in my hood I had it, and had it since. Shaw was crap service in my hood so Telus was a super welcome addition for myself.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I would welcome Telus to install fiber at my house.

1) it's on the side that I really don't care if they dig up.

2) Shaw always gives me the cold shoulder whenever they pull up my postal code and knows I got no options but downgrade to Telus DSL.
    QFT. I need Telus to come around so I can finally tell shaw to suck a fat dick

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I had them do their installs in my area recently and it took a few months for them to rectify all the cracks and holes they dug up. They finally filled my 2" crack from street to house last Thursday when they said they would do it in beginning of September. Took a few phone calls to the project manager to get it sorted out. Promise it be done one week, I gave him 3 weeks leeway and still wasn't done and was pissed. He ended going to my house himself with soil and filled er up.

I figured it was a selling point if I sold the house to have it, vs not have it. I'm not going to have it installed in my house but at least the line is installed up the house for next owner.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    TIL plants in the yard can have sentimental value to some people.

RE: OP, that's bullshit they're bullying people to do the install. They've ruined a bunch of grass around my neighbourhood doing this, and I'm positive it will be up to the homeowners to remediate their own yards. I'd tell them to FO, and this will be a rounding error in the cost of selling a house (if it factors at all).
    2 of her plants were from friends who died's homes...she would've dug them out/transplanted, but like I said, they were doing the initial digging and I spoke with the guy, and he said they wouldn't need to dig ours, but a couple weeks later, sure enough, they dug.

Ya, at this point, I want to just tell them straight up I'm not signing your consent form out of spite.

Thanks for all the input guys...

Also, great to know about Starlink
    Last edited by JohnnyHockey13; 10-26-2020 at 04:29 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I don't understand why they need to go on your property to do the installation when you have no intention of signing up. They can't go around your property?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I don't understand why they need to go on your property to do the installation when you have no intention of signing up. They can't go around your property?
    They are putting the conduits within the legal right of way on most properties.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    Also, great to know about Starlink
    Starlink would take years to deploy before it's even remotely good. And from the tech brief, they can't serve any cities with high pop density due to low bandwidth. It would be like everything trying to get a good 4G signal in Saddledome.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

That's why they say to never put anything of value on top of utility right of way. I mean I did it in my last house, but knew full well the risk that a utility company could come at any time and rip down the tree's I planted.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast