Quantcast
new plex server: NUC plus external storage? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: new plex server: NUC plus external storage?

My Ride
    ute

Default new plex server: NUC plus external storage?

My current server is built in a full size 4u case in my rack. I've been thinking of upgrading as my Plex server is getting hit a little harder nowadays (thanks entitled family), and I'm going to be upgrading to telus fibre soon. My current server is an i3 from, I think, 2012? So I'm due.

Recent plex server googles indicate that the new intel CPUs are extending their quicksync capabilities, and so I was thinking of getting a Tiger Lake NUC and figuring out how to rackmount it.

Then I think I could add rack-mountable eSATA hard drives in a separate unit?

Does this make sense?

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Are you transcoding 1080p or 4K content? A cheap G4900 machine is good for ~20 transcodes with quicksync.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I would consider upgrading the clients rather the server. A good client wont require transcoding from the server
    I use Nvidia Shields for my clients and my old ass synology 1812+ handles it just fine. I'm sure even a cheap google tv dongle would handle it. That is unless you stream anime which I find does require some transcoding as the plex client sucks at handling those codecs

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Need to get those tentacle renders just right.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    That is unless you stream anime which I find does require some transcoding as the plex client sucks at handling those codecs
    That and once a while I do have cheap tablets lying around that needs a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Need to get those tentacle renders just right.
    It's just a government censorship law creating a new art form. Just like Pachinko isn't "gambling".

Back on topic,

Nvidia Shield TV Pro + external hardware would also do the same thing if you need to transcode. But NUC would be more flexible/future proof but you have to maintain windows.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-28-2020 at 01:02 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I have a NUC and run all my "servers" in a VM under VirtualBox. Even my network monitoring tools with the mirror port interface hooked up to the VM. When I need more power and upgrade, I get a new NUC, move the VMs over, and done.

UniFi, Plex, AirVideoHD, all my transcoding servers all virtualized. The media is stored in a 10TB QNAP array that's synced and backed up to google cloud and mapped as a drive in the VM for Plex to access.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I have a NUC and run all my "servers" in a VM under VirtualBox. Even my network monitoring tools with the mirror port interface hooked up to the VM. When I need more power and upgrade, I get a new NUC, move the VMs over, and done.

UniFi, Plex, AirVideoHD, all my transcoding servers all virtualized. The media is stored in a 10TB QNAP array that's synced and backed up to google cloud and mapped as a drive in the VM for Plex to access.
    +1 but I'm using a HP desktop with i5 4590 CPU and 32GB of RAM to host 3 Win VM and 1 Unix. Use only AirVideoHD though.

I purged most of my movie collections except some favorites since most are available on Netflix/Amazon/Disney+/Crave.

Movies that I've kept have also been converted to mp4. I'm just using the built-in Plex service on my QNAP NAS
    Last edited by taemo; 10-28-2020 at 02:54 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I haven't added to my movie collection in 8 years (since I started buying digitally). I haven't added any RAW photos from my DSLRs in 4 years since I shoot mostly on iPhone. 70% of my old movie collection has been repurchased digitally. Shit's just running to keep old shit around for the 3x a year I wanna watch old shit and can live with DVD and Satellite HD DVR potato quality haha.

I do have some 4K home/vacation videos that I've added so the kids can watch, but there's no transcoding on Apple TV. Only transcoding to non 4K devices, and there's some buffering every minute, so yea I think it's time for me up upgrade that decade old NUC soon.

The other VMs are just there to run windows shit as we're mostly a MacBook household these days and need Windows specific stuff. How times have changed.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

This looks like the perfect solution. I'm a lot more media heavy on my plex for a variety of reasons - mostly simplicity and the ability to maintain favorites for my family or get TV shows that aren't always available on the normal streaming channels.

I usually just maintain a full Windows install on my server. What's the advantage of doing the VM thing? I've never done it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This looks like the perfect solution. I'm a lot more media heavy on my plex for a variety of reasons - mostly simplicity and the ability to maintain favorites for my family or get TV shows that aren't always available on the normal streaming channels.

I usually just maintain a full Windows install on my server. What's the advantage of doing the VM thing? I've never done it.
    Portability. I don’t want to reconfigure and reinstall all the services on the new machine. So new machine just runs the VM and away we go.

It was a bigger deal back in the day when I upgraded the NUC more frequently. I guess it still applies today because I’d have to relearn how to backup and restore all the historic data of the old services, if it even runs. The network monitoring software sits on top of windows 2003 VM. The new version UI is terrible compared to my legacy version haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    My current server is built in a full size 4u case in my rack. I've been thinking of upgrading as my Plex server is getting hit a little harder nowadays (thanks entitled family), and I'm going to be upgrading to telus fibre soon. My current server is an i3 from, I think, 2012? So I'm due.

Recent plex server googles indicate that the new intel CPUs are extending their quicksync capabilities, and so I was thinking of getting a Tiger Lake NUC and figuring out how to rackmount it.

Then I think I could add rack-mountable eSATA hard drives in a separate unit?

Does this make sense?
    Maybe check out a Synology NAS if you want a small form factor. I have a hardware raid card so I updated my server to an AMD 3700X from a 2500K.

The network monitoring software sits on top of windows 2003 VM.
    Running Windows XP as your windows VM too? (I have XP as in a VM...)
    Last edited by ipeefreely; 10-28-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
    Maybe check out a Synology NAS if you want a small form factor. I have a hardware raid card so I updated my server to an AMD 3700X from a 2500K.

Running Windows XP as your windows VM too? (I have XP as in a VM...)
    My current NUC runs windows 7 haha.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I’m still running Windows Home Server. Haha

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Baller! how much does that google cloud cost if you don't mind me asking? Don't you get killed for Egress fees if you ever need it?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    Baller! how much does that google cloud cost if you don't mind me asking? Don't you get killed for Egress fees if you ever need it?
    Well I'm on the G suite business account for my beyond email. Unlimited storage is included as part of that.

My work email is also gmail, so I actually have 2 unlimited storage accounts haha.

The bad news is google's renaming of g suite to workspace, the new plans don't have unlimited anymore. Fuckers.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

NUC 10 are avaialble at costco. Decent price.

https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?..._1525_COSTCOCA

Name:  2020-11-02_15-21-06.png
Views: 435
Size:  120.9 KB