Quantcast
2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season

My Ride
    LNF

Demoed a bunch of skis the last few days and Picked up a set of Line Vision 108 in 189 cm length with Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings.. should be a ton of fun on the powder days at Sun Peaks compared to my blizzard skis with 82 waist.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Those skis are sick, congrats!

Pulled my MCL on Saturday. Hoping I can recover in a week to get back at it... could barely walk Sunday but way better today. Fingers crossed. At least it looks sunny everywhere this week.
    I was actually thinking of getting back to Red at the end of the month/feb. Only went once over New Years and we had awful conditions. Would love to go back and check it out tho, good vibes.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 01-20-2021 at 12:20 AM.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m glad I went to Whistler once in the winter, the terrain is unlike anything I’ve ridden before. So big and vast. I feel like you could ride here for 15 years and still not find every line. Just probably won’t be back until I have kids asking to go.

I spent most of the summer and fall in Whistler this year in the bike park and surrounding trails, it’s cool to see the difference. Snowboarded down the bike trail Blue Velvet and had some fun trying to clear the jumps.

Lol @ riander going into Fitz Creek, was definitely paranoid about ending up down there when ripping through some of the trees.
    Im so used to lake louise where everything funnels to the chairlift haha. Live and learn I guess, although before I finally made it to flat ground there were a few super sketchy moments, big drops, boarding over trees and rivers. Looking back it was quite the experience haha - I emerged near some olympics memorabilia building and was dying for water, they just looked at me wide eyed as i skulled 4 complimentary bottles.

I think my route was something like this as I just missed a chairlift and followed some other pour souls ski tracks into oblivion

Name:  whistler.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  72.1 KB

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Haha, right through fitz creek. That’s hilarious, sounds like quite the adventure.

Easy to get lost in those trees there, that’s for sure!!

Name:  22B71753-1CA7-43FE-832B-10EAF06FDD59.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  94.1 KB

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Based on how backcountry was on Saturday on the spray valley, unless there is some significant snowfall... fortress could be bad. Curious how it goes
    I was really hoping for a forecast change and some last minute snow, but it's not looking good. Combined with the insane wind I think we're in for a bad time... I've been looking at a new pair of ARV 116 JJs (either 185 or 192) but looks like I don't need to rush the purchase for this trip

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Man I’m still skiing my original 189 Pettitors, I already picked out my next ski but I am waiting to hopefully buy next year when it’s a left over sale model.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by EM2FTL View Post
    I was really hoping for a forecast change and some last minute snow, but it's not looking good. Combined with the insane wind I think we're in for a bad time... I've been looking at a new pair of ARV 116 JJs (either 185 or 192) but looks like I don't need to rush the purchase for this trip
    Pretty much anything that isnt heavily treed is one giant wind slab that has been shined to ice. I havent missed a weekend since november for BC skiing... until it snows, im taking a pass

Pretty much anything that isnt heavily treed is one giant wind slab that has been shined to ice. I havent missed a weekend since november for BC skiing... until it snows, im taking a pass
    You been out as far as Revy lately? Have a heli trip in a couple weeks coming up...

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    You been out as far as Revy lately? Have a heli trip in a couple weeks coming up...
    Have been sticking to north of lake louise and a tiny bit of K Country. (BC=Backcountry, to clarify). From the avvy reports, i think wind has hammered about everywhere in western canada

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Revy was fucking amazing at New Years, but the winds were already starting to be an issue at that time. I just stayed on the ripper chair line while it puked 20cms that day, Stoke was insane for vis with the wind but ripper is in a nice little sheltered pocket. Lower elevations were getting hammered with rain also but upper was just perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Have been sticking to north of lake louise and a tiny bit of K Country. (BC=Backcountry, to clarify). From the avvy reports, i think wind has hammered about everywhere in western canada
    I really need to get a touring setup, it's tough finding friends in Edmonton who are into it. First step, AST1 course. Hoping to move to Calgary in 12-18 months

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Man I’m still skiing my original 189 Pettitors, I already picked out my next ski but I am waiting to hopefully buy next year when it’s a left over sale model.
    Keep an eye out in ski towns right now. I got 40% off on my ski and bindings at the sun peaks ski shop because they are having end of season sales now because they are not selling much without international clientele.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by EM2FTL View Post
    I really need to get a touring setup, it's tough finding friends in Edmonton who are into it. First step, AST1 course. Hoping to move to Calgary in 12-18 months
    Touring is life changing, provided you are cool with spending 90% of your day on the uphill, and not every day is blower pow

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    Keep an eye out in ski towns right now. I got 40% off on my ski and bindings at the sun peaks ski shop because they are having end of season sales now because they are not selling much without international clientele.
    Thanks I will. I want some Reckoner 112s in 184cm.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    Where does one go on a pow day in sun peaks? Terrain on the backside of crystal would be my guess, but the mountain doesn’t seem to have much steep... Spent a lot of time there in the summer but haven’t had a chance in the winter. Seems every time in dumps in the interior, sun peaks gets the worst snow. Still would love to head up as I love the village vibe.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 01-20-2021 at 11:37 PM.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Where does one go on a pow day in sun peaks? Terrain on the backside of crystal would be my guess, but the mountain doesn’t seem to have much steep... Spent a lot of time there in the summer but haven’t had a chance in the winter. Seems every time in dumps in the interior, sun peaks gets the worst snow. Still would love to head up as I love the village vibe.
    Best bet for steep terrain with powder would be the gils area, you have probably a 10-20 minute hike depending on where you decide to drop in. But the hike keeps most people away so it’ll still be good for a few days after a good dump. Otherwise anything off of crystal or burfield off that juniper ridge area.it’s usually very quiet over on the burfield side too. You can also do west bowl which is really good with a short hike. Most of these areas are all black so quite steep.

If you want shorter and fun runs on powder days, the morrissey side is great and there are some difficult black and double black diamond runs there too. Most people usually stay out of these areas unless it’s locals.

We’ve had lots of really good snow this year. But I definitely know what you mean, if you get a warmer day with snow, it can be quite heavy and slow snow especially towards the bottom. The best part about sun peaks right now is that it’s dead quiet, if you come on a weekday, there is hardly anybody here. I went skiing at 1130 yesterday and many runs on the morrissey side only had one or two tracks on them.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Awesome, that’s great to hear. Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out mid week sometime in February.

Looking forward to tacos at Bottoms and fondu stube.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Update on Kpow, I sent them an email asking about conditions and a few hours later they sent out a general cancellation. Disappointed, but nice of them to not take our money for a shit day.

I did go ahead and rush the purchase of the ARV 116 JJs anyways, I want to practice switch landings in deeper snow so fuck it, yolo. They weren't willing to deal on price up in Edmonton, I wonder if the BC hills are discounting 20/21 skis also.

My Ride
    E90

Planning to go to Sunshine next saturday, does anyone know how early we have to be there to get in? i heard they stop accepting guests once the parking lot is full.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by civicHB View Post
    Planning to go to Sunshine next saturday, does anyone know how early we have to be there to get in? i heard they stop accepting guests once the parking lot is full.
    On a Saturday? Park before 8am or don't bother. That's how I read the status.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    On a Saturday? Park before 8am or don't bother. That's how I read the status.
    Ok Thanks!

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast