Quantcast
2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 17 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Default 2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season

Looks like this is going to be a historically early opening for many mountains in AB and BC. I see Norquay is already open, Lake Louise is opening tomorrow! Anyone planning on riding these mountains soon? Would be interested in sharing what the conditions look like at different resorts. I normally ride mountains around the Okanagan, but was thinking about heading to Banff area early November.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Based on what temps are gonna do this weekend, Norquay mighta gotten the headlines to open early but can’t imagine much good skiing is coming unless we get a big drop in temp and wet weather

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

yeah, kind of expecting it to be only a few main groomer runs open this early. But will still be nice to have a longer season, I think forecasters are expecting a better than average snow season this year.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah, I can't wait to get out there. I had a free day on my Super Saver card at Sunshine and it closed down the day I planned to go up. I emailed them shortly after and they said they'd extend the free day until the end of the calendar year for me.

I read in the news during the spring/summer that some resorts were thinking of having discounts for locals to encourage them to go out cause they're not getting the international customers they're used to having. Hopefully that's still in consideration.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If your schedule is flexible rhe norquay95 pass is great value.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I usually don't get out till later in December as there is no value IMO. Still decided against a pass this year, but will likely ski a little more than usual due to the Covid.

Hoping for a fantastic year snow wise.

I may try to get out to Nakiska in November. I went with a Nakiska pass and Mountain Collective pass this year. Have a few trips planned to get to the BC resorts so hopefully nothing changes and I can still get to them.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    I may try to get out to Nakiska in November. I went with a Nakiska pass and Mountain Collective pass this year. Have a few trips planned to get to the BC resorts so hopefully nothing changes and I can still get to them.
    You just missed the boat on the early bid MC pass, it's up to $589US now, still not a bad deal though.

My Ride
    Lariat

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    I read in the news during the spring/summer that some resorts were thinking of having discounts for locals to encourage them to go out cause they're not getting the international customers they're used to having. Hopefully that's still in consideration.
    A lot of the Cat ski operations are doing the same thing, 15-30% off days. Still super expensive but its a better to pay $750/day for peak season cat skiing than $1,000.

I can't wait to get out this year, I didn't ski once last year which is hard for me to fathom. Had a big Panorama trip planned for the weekend everything shut down and lots of spring skiing plans that didn't go.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I only got two days last year, least amount since I was a child. I am hoping for a much better season this year.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

It's gonna be a gnarly year in the backcountry based on the number of feebs out in the mountains this summer. Guys already bootpacking up highwood pass with zero for avvy gear..

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    A lot of the Cat ski operations are doing the same thing, 15-30% off days. Still super expensive but its a better to pay $750/day for peak season cat skiing than $1,000.

I can't wait to get out this year, I didn't ski once last year which is hard for me to fathom. Had a big Panorama trip planned for the weekend everything shut down and lots of spring skiing plans that didn't go.
    I booked 25% off Heli-skiing this year... Might as well knock off a bucket list item and save some money.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    It's gonna be a gnarly year in the backcountry based on the number of feebs out in the mountains this summer. Guys already bootpacking up highwood pass with zero for avvy gear..
    Not to mention all the dangerous uptracks that these idiots are setting. Doesn't make me feel very comfortable in the backcountry when people are going to be setting these lines above where I might be below them, this one was from the Highwood last weekend.

Name:  uptrack.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  33.9 KB

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I booked 25% off Heli-skiing this year... Might as well knock off a bucket list item and save some money.
    Nice. Post more deals if you see them, guys.

We're talking about maybe doing Fernie over Christmas/New Years. Any recommendations on places to stay?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    Not to mention all the dangerous uptracks that these idiots are setting. Doesn't make me feel very comfortable in the backcountry when people are going to be setting these lines above where I might be below them, this one was from the Highwood last weekend.

Name:  uptrack.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  33.9 KB
    Ya i saw that on Backcountry YYC, definitely a lesson in how not to set an uptrack. Particularly love the super tight kick turns as they're going right up the gut of the avvy path. The year of early starts to get ahead of bozos

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Purchased all new gear and season pass for big white this year. Cheap early bird passes this year at $750 with no restrictions. Stoked to get shredding again after that epic season last year was cut short.

For Fernie, I would stay at lizard creek or find a nice Airbnb on the hill. Keep in mind there aren’t many dining options(3 I think) without going into town.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I wanna get out to Revy again this year but I don't think anyone I know will be up for a road trip. Is there any shuttles or solo trip options out there? I know backside does tours but those tend to be heavy on the party side of things.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    For Fernie, I would stay at lizard creek or find a nice Airbnb on the hill. Keep in mind there aren’t many dining options(3 I think) without going into town.
    Thanks. We actually like the idea of doing a grocery run and making dinners for most of our trip so that won't be that big of a deal. Good to know though.

Quote Originally Posted by EM2FTL View Post
    You just missed the boat on the early bid MC pass, it's up to $589US now, still not a bad deal though.
    I got the MC pass about a month ago when they released the at par pricing. I think I paid $490 CAD

Its going to be an interesting year.

First thing, I hope the border remains closed. From a resort covid perspective, a lot of it will come down to lift layout ie, SV will be great as long as you get there super early and clear the gondola, whereas KH is going to be a bottleneck all day. I think the BC resorts like Revy, Red, Kimbo will be great given that a big chunk of their clientele is from the US and they are less likely to see heavy traffic from AB.

From a backcountry perspective, its going to be wild. I anticipate a lot more incidents and close calls, and you're already seeing it. I recall doing Highwood pass about 5 years ago after a big dump and there was probably 10-15 of us there, nowadays it looks like a ski resort. I think the key will be to get out super early, and go in past the beginner zones.

I'm definitely doing SV, LL, and hopefully put together a few Revy trips. Backcountry, definitely doing a few trips to Rogers pass, and hopefully Terrace.

If anyone wants to tour, PM. Seems most of my partners had kids, lost jobs, moved away, or blew their acls last year.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 11 ... LastLast