Quantcast
2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peak to Peak is nuts hey. How were the conditions?
    Craziest gondola ride I’ve ever had.

Lots of snow but it’s wet slop. All the higher elevation stuff is good, but everything mid mountain and below is just soupy snow. Probably won’t be back to Whistler for skiing but enjoyed the experience nevertheless.

Any thoughts from skiers here on alternatives to Facebook/Kijiji for selling ski boots? I've always had good luck selling skis/binding/boards/etc. on these platforms, but ski boots seem tough to move, even this year. Wondering if its on account of sizing being so specific?

Or maybe I'm just out to lunch on pricing - retail on the boots was ~$500, asking $180 and they've been used twice

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by BrknFngrs View Post
    Any thoughts from skiers here on alternatives to Facebook/Kijiji for selling ski boots? I've always had good luck selling skis/binding/boards/etc. on these platforms, but ski boots seem tough to move, even this year. Wondering if its on account of sizing being so specific?

Or maybe I'm just out to lunch on pricing - retail on the boots was ~$500, asking $180 and they've been used twice
    Maybe try re-wording your ad. Include more keywords and snap some nicer pics. Link to a site that has the boots retail as well usually helps.

Also maybe Facebook has some gear swap groups? No idea though

It’s a good point, sprucing up the ads a bit can’t hurt. Also hadn’t thought of swap groups - will take a look. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Craziest gondola ride I’ve ever had.

Lots of snow but it’s wet slop. All the higher elevation stuff is good, but everything mid mountain and below is just soupy snow. Probably won’t be back to Whistler for skiing but enjoyed the experience nevertheless.
    Did they let you ride that alone? Would be quite the story to say you got lucky up there We had the exact same conditions when we went but like you the experience there with the village and all was still worth it. Just checked and $174 a lift ticket, thats a nasty one to pay for slop.

Was it a gong show at the village with eating and shopping? The places are so small already
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by BrknFngrs View Post

What size?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Did they let you ride that alone? Would be quite the story to say you got lucky up there We had the exact same conditions when we went but like you the experience there with the village and all was still worth it. Just checked and $174 a lift ticket, thats a nasty one to pay for slop.

Was it a gong show at the village with eating and shopping? The places are so small already
    Haha we did get to ride alone on it twice Glass bottom one too!

The village seems relatively quiet compared to when we visit in the summer. We didn’t have any trouble getting reservations at our favourite spots 1 day in advance or day of. Nothing really seemed crowded except long horn at 3:30pm for apres ski.

Last night I was watching the pow cam accumulate to 40cm, turned to rain at 3am and knocked it down to 20. Fuck I wanted to cry. Made for some of the worst conditions I’ve ever rode this morning. 2 inches of ice on top of powder.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Haha we did get to ride alone on it twice Glass bottom one too!

The village seems relatively quiet compared to when we visit in the summer. We didn’t have any trouble getting reservations at our favourite spots 1 day in advance or day of. Nothing really seemed crowded except long horn at 3:30pm for apres ski.

Last night I was watching the pow cam accumulate to 40cm, turned to rain at 3am and knocked it down to 20. Fuck I wanted to cry. Made for some of the worst conditions I’ve ever rode this morning. 2 inches of ice on top of powder.
    on the Gondola experience. No way i could do a glass bottom though
    Ive been riding for 20 years now and my worst was a day in fernie, it was so wet and chunky on the hill that it felt like i was trying to carve in mud i also didnt have money back then so all my gear was cheap shit with no waterproofing, i still remember going into the hotel laundry room to throw my shit into the dryer lol The second and 3rd were whistler, nothing worse than driving 12 hours mid winter only to get a couple hours of riding combined over 2 days, it was just too wet and clumpy by mid. We were there for a week and spent the last 5 days just putting around the village because it was just too rainy, still had an epic time though.

I just got into DH last summer so were hoping to hit up whistler if things relax
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I cannot understand someone from Calgary who goes to Whistler for skiing. So many good snow options on the way. Probably good nightlife, I assume.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Whistler has some epic terrain, especially if you luck out on a cold(!!) powder day. If you tour, there's even more options accessible off the backside of each mountain. It also has a pretty wicked vibe in town, different than the more "rugged" Revy or Golden, but a lot of fun. In the summer, the whole Sea-Sky (Squam-Pemberton) corridor is in my view the best mountain biking in the world. Overall the place has a lot going for it, summer or winter. 2020 has been a great year too with the lack of international tourists, and in a selfish way I'm hoping that stays the case for 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I cannot understand someone from Calgary who goes to Whistler for skiing. So many good snow options on the way. Probably good nightlife, I assume.
    I was drinking the whistler kool aid hard, I heard so many good things about it and had to try it. Its still a cool place and as long as you dont go expecting ok conditions you're good. We were there for a week with 7 guys and even without any good riding it was still a ton of fun. I totally agree there are way better places to ride on the way but the whistler village is a pretty cool place

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

@dimi I can agree with the comments on the summer for that whole corridor.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Family Hauler

One time i was in whistler and I accidentally took a wrong turn, ended up snowboarding all the way down to the bottom of the valley between the mountains.

I emerged about 4 hours later and missed half the day. Fuck I was bagged

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    One time i was in whistler and I accidentally took a wrong turn, ended up snowboarding all the way down to the bottom of the valley between the mountains.

I emerged about 4 hours later and missed half the day. Fuck I was bagged
    I would have loved to have seen this on Strava haha

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I’m glad I went to Whistler once in the winter, the terrain is unlike anything I’ve ridden before. So big and vast. I feel like you could ride here for 15 years and still not find every line. Just probably won’t be back until I have kids asking to go.

I spent most of the summer and fall in Whistler this year in the bike park and surrounding trails, it’s cool to see the difference. Snowboarded down the bike trail Blue Velvet and had some fun trying to clear the jumps.

Lol @ riander going into Fitz Creek, was definitely paranoid about ending up down there when ripping through some of the trees.

My Ride
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    Whistler has some epic terrain, especially if you luck out on a cold(!!) powder day. If you tour, there's even more options accessible off the backside of each mountain. It also has a pretty wicked vibe in town, different than the more "rugged" Revy or Golden, but a lot of fun. In the summer, the whole Sea-Sky (Squam-Pemberton) corridor is in my view the best mountain biking in the world. Overall the place has a lot going for it, summer or winter. 2020 has been a great year too with the lack of international tourists, and in a selfish way I'm hoping that stays the case for 2021.
    Red has all of that without the douchebags and has better snow. Zero desire to go to Whistler in the winter

Edit: agreed on the MTB, however the West Kootenays now does have some really good riding. Just very little shuttle/lift access
    Last edited by g-m; 01-18-2021 at 04:03 PM.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

In case anyone was wondering about wait times at Sunshine during the week, I went this morning.

Pulled into the parking lot at 8:32
    Got my lift ticket at 8:48 (after putting my gear on in the parking lot)
    On the gondola at 8:57

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    Red has all of that without the douchebags and has better snow. Zero desire to go to Whistler in the winter

Edit: agreed on the MTB, however the West Kootenays now does have some really good riding. Just very little shuttle/lift access
    I've never been to Red but heard great things, hoping to get there this season. I have toured out of a yurt near Ymir though and it was beautiful terrain, Kootenays ftw.

A group of us are going cat-skiing on the 23rd at Fortress, doesn't look like they'll have any recent snowfall for 7+ days so i'm curious what the Kpow guides will have for us.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Based on how backcountry was on Saturday on the spray valley, unless there is some significant snowfall... fortress could be bad. Curious how it goes

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    In case anyone was wondering about wait times at Sunshine during the week, I went this morning.

Pulled into the parking lot at 8:32
    Got my lift ticket at 8:48 (after putting my gear on in the parking lot)
    On the gondola at 8:57
    aside from being about 35 minutes later than I prefer, that's pretty wicked.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast