Quantcast
2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I’ll admit, half of the decision was the color. They match the board perfectly. The other half was just the feel of the binding. Felt the Falcor was a better design and feel. Wish I could of ridden demod them both before making the decision but really happy with the falcors so far.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if I'll get to go anywhere again now but I pulled the trigger on the Burton Step-ons with the DC boots and god damn, what a treat. I hope I can get a trip or two on them other than our drunken Sunshine adventure mid-November.
    How are the Step-ons holding up? would you purchase again?

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    2 of my friends ride step ons and theyll never go back they said. One guy rides real hard and has never had an issue, he mentioned something about the first batch having locking issues but that was fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    She’s a thing of beauty. Rides so good. Noticeable improvement from my TRS. Attacks so hard and has so much pop. Went full T.Rice with the Union Falcors.
    It's been about 5 years for me since riding Lib. Got the very first training wheels (Skate Banana), and their magna traction. If I weren't getting hooked with Burton, they'd be top of the list. Parillo, Quigg, and Lynn design some of the most beautiful decks around. I had the Source/Lib ltd collab, and Parillo killed it on that, just like TRice's.

Friend works for Burton, and rides & loves them. He's been persuading me to jump on em. Them and splits are the only products that aren't Ambassador discount eligible though. While I got my split setup, not one for retail.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Well I got called out. It's the Performer Program, not Ambassador. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Just picked up a pair of Ions and bindings for 20% off at Sporting Life.

Name:  69A0DA61-3342-4B89-A8A1-433BBEB6AFF0.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  50.0 KB

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

So I haven't been on a board in over 20 years. Step-On is a great system and just works. So glad I went with them. Also, Burton's channel mounting system seems to give way better feel. Board come a long way. Fuck, I sound like an old man.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

So I haven't been on a board in over 20 years. Step-On is a great system and just works. So glad I went with them. Also, Burton's channel mounting system seems to give way better feel. Board come a long way. Fuck, I sound like an old man.
    How do you like the boots? Interesting looking boa system.
    I regret buying my Burton EST mount bindings for my flight attendant. If you're thinking of adding any other boards down the road you can't interchange bindings.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by sxtasy View Post
    How do you like the boots? Interesting looking boa system.
    I regret buying my Burton EST mount bindings for my flight attendant. If you're thinking of adding any other boards down the road you can't interchange bindings.
    Boa is only used on the ankle strap. The boot is tied with Speed Zone Lacing. I have two toggles to pull on that allows me to tighten the upper and lower portions separately. The BOA on the Proton boot, only allows you to tighten everything together. I think I would have preferred the Proton, but they didn't have my size.

These Step-on bindings aren't EST. They come with a 4x4 mounting disc as well.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Update on falcors... mini disk system sucks. Binding has come loose twice in 3 days of riding. Not sure if I can swap a different disk in or not but I’ll have to look into it. Maybe just Teflon tape the screws.. Not a fan of carrying a tool with me all the time.

Does anyone here have lots of experience skiing Japan? I’m looking at planning a trip next winter there for 5 weeks or so. Would like to hit up Hakuba, Niseko, nozawa and maybe Nagano. Any other suggestions or where to spend the most time?

Cheers
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 03-08-2021 at 02:33 PM.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Update on falcors... mini disk system sucks. Binding has come loose twice in 3 days of riding. Not sure if I can swap a different disk in or not but I’ll have to look into it. Maybe just Teflon tape the screws.. Not a fan of carrying a tool with me all the time.

Does anyone here have lots of experience skiing Japan? I’m looking at planning a trip next winter there for 5 weeks or so. Would like to hit up Hakuba, Niseko, nozawa and maybe Nagano. Any other suggestions or where to spend the most time?

Cheers
    Good to know, does the Atlas have the same mount? I'm debating between the Union Atlas and Cartel X right now.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

@benyl I haven't got to ride enough to give too much feedback but the riding I did get in I absolutely loved them. Ease of in/out is such a treat after 30 years of straps and they were more stiffer/responsive than I expected. I have been riding Cartels for the 5 years previous and am super pleased with the change which says a lot to me as I really love cartels. I can't imagine not liking them but it would be nice to get another 10 days in varied terrain. If you're still a park rat they might not be right for you but I'm not anymore.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Cheers
    re: Japan. I've been a few times to the North Island; Hokkaido -- snows much more, that the main island.
    The real expense for when you visit, will be accommodations. Lift tickets, are cheaper and can be bought at many resorts hourly.

For Niseko, it is the most tourist-centric region on the island. Tons of whiteys. Most expensive accommodations of the island, and busiest resorts. Get Niseko reservations in, >4 months in advance. Busy isn't like Louise or Sunshine, on a Saturday though. No crazy lines.

My recommendation for a few weeks; Rent a car.
    Do a week or so, around Niseko. Moiwa Lodge is pretty dope. Shred Moiwa/AnnaPuri/Hanazono .. go get aussie Banff'd in Hirafu.
    Stay in the cities of Asahikawa & Otaru. Hotels are super cheap. $60/night, for a reasonable room. Their parkades are wild, they are generally $10-$20 for the night. Sometimes free.

Otaru; Kiroro. It's a newer resort, that gets nuked on, and have modern amenities.
    Asahiwaka; From here, you can reach alot of resorts to the east of town. Asahidake (resort with a single string huge gondola). Don't suck, you'll get stuck. Furano, Kurodake Ropeway.. etc;

Good to know, does the Atlas have the same mount? I'm debating between the Union Atlas and Cartel X right now.
    Is this a price-play? I can't see any reason why you'd choose the Atlas over the Cartels.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Anyone make it to Revelstoke this season? Any hostility towards AB plates? And how's the snow situation been?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    Is this a price-play? I can't see any reason why you'd choose the Atlas over the Cartels.
    Can you expand on what you think about them? I haven't tried either binding, but from what I've read the Atlas is a great freeride binding.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Can you expand on what you think about them? I haven't tried either binding, but from what I've read the Atlas is a great freeride binding.
    Slightly heavier, & their heal straps attachment to the baseplate, isn’t engineered like Burton’s are.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Anyone make it to Revelstoke this season? Any hostility towards AB plates? And how's the snow situation been?
    Snow was insane when I was there and no issues with AB plates.

Can't remember the bar but it was checking IDs and was locals only.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Snow was insane when I was there and no issues with AB plates.

Can't remember the bar but it was checking IDs and was locals only.
    Thanks! I saw videos on reddit from a couple weeks back and it looked pretty glorious out there. Just not sure if it'll be the same in a few weeks time.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    I was there Valentines Day weekend and had no issues with my Ab plates, most locals I talked to are pissed at Horgan and his Alberta hating. Snow wasn't great however but they've had some good snow lately.

My Ride
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    re: Japan. I've been a few times to the North Island; Hokkaido -- snows much more, that the main island.
    The real expense for when you visit, will be accommodations. Lift tickets, are cheaper and can be bought at many resorts hourly.

For Niseko, it is the most tourist-centric region on the island. Tons of whiteys. Most expensive accommodations of the island, and busiest resorts. Get Niseko reservations in, >4 months in advance. Busy isn't like Louise or Sunshine, on a Saturday though. No crazy lines.

My recommendation for a few weeks; Rent a car.
    Do a week or so, around Niseko. Moiwa Lodge is pretty dope. Shred Moiwa/AnnaPuri/Hanazono .. go get aussie Banff'd in Hirafu.
    Stay in the cities of Asahikawa & Otaru. Hotels are super cheap. $60/night, for a reasonable room. Their parkades are wild, they are generally $10-$20 for the night. Sometimes free.

Otaru; Kiroro. It's a newer resort, that gets nuked on, and have modern amenities.
    Asahiwaka; From here, you can reach alot of resorts to the east of town. Asahidake (resort with a single string huge gondola). Don't suck, you'll get stuck. Furano, Kurodake Ropeway.. etc;

I've also been all over Japan on 4 ski trips. Depends what you want and how good you are. The Honshu resorts are ok and can have some better terrain but less reliable snow. Nowazowa Onsen has pretty boring terrain tbh. Places like Happo-One have better terrain and good ski touring opportunities.

I keep going back and really its Niseko. It has decent terrain, really good OOB and really good reliable snow. North america and Europe has better terrain than almost anywhere in Japan (unless you're ski touring in the Japan alps) but Niseko has that mix of acceptable terrain with really good snow. I would also recommend Rusutsu. Asahi-dake is far away from everything and has very little vertical and poor terrain.

Furano is good but you need to go OOB and there are signs everywhere telling you its illegal and you must not do it, etc. But everyone does so you'll need to be comfortable 'breaking the rules'. Otherwise its a super groomer paradise... Tomamu is neat but again the terrain isn't worth it imo. We were there on a 20cm day and were pretty bored by the end of the day and you have to register for their extreme zone (which isn't extreme at all). Kiroro is decent as mentioned but I wouldn't give up a day at Niseko to ski at Kiroro. YMMV but as said, book your accommodations early. We'll be booking in July this year for Feb 2022. Stay in Grand Hirafu if you can, everywhere else other than Furano and Nagano is pretty sleepy. I would rent a car on Hokkaido but not on Honshu but there are new rules and you need to 'book' a luggage spot for your ski bag now on the trains. That said, its just faster and easier to take the train on Honshu.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast