Quantcast
2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How are the lineup at sunshine this year??
    Looks like a total shitshow at Sunshine. Louise adjusted their webcams to avoid showing the long lineups.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/restricti...ideo-1.5200113

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Looks like covid cases are spiking in Banff, wonder if this will affect the season?

https://twitter.com/CBCFletch/status...723116034?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by e31 View Post
    Looks like a total shitshow at Sunshine. Louise adjusted their webcams to avoid showing the long lineups.

Yah sunshine annouced this week they are not allowing parking on their access road to try and limit.

My Ride
    LNF

Skiing at sun peaks has been amazing this year! Ski hill opened Saturday and was quite busy but the last few days have been quiet. 10 cm of snow coming tonight, skiing should be great tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by e31 View Post

Sunshine was a total shit show this past saturday, the lines snaked down every row of the parking lot. You basically had to line up the moment you got out of your ride just to get onto the main road line up which went all the way back. There was a news thing on it and the reporter or sunshine staff actually said it wasnt as bad as it looked lol
    Just checked the louise cams and Smart on their part but you know its going to be a nasty problem if they went to that extent. Cousin was at louise saturday and it took him an hour and a half to get on the first gondola.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'm probably gonna save all my Sunshine visits for midweek anyways. Only 16 more work days left in the year and I have 29 vacation days remaining so I should probably work on burning a few off haha

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Sunshine was a total shit show this past saturday, the lines snaked down every row of the parking lot. You basically had to line up the moment you got out of your ride just to get onto the main road line up which went all the way back. There was a news thing on it and the reporter or sunshine staff actually said it wasnt as bad as it looked lol
    Just checked the louise cams and Smart on their part but you know its going to be a nasty problem if they went to that extent. Cousin was at louise saturday and it took him an hour and a half to get on the first gondola.
    Do you know how the lines were once you were up the gondola? If its just a rough first line then normal ish on the ski lifts then that's not the worst.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

If any of you still have last year's Sunshine Super Card:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Banff Sunshine Village!

Please see below for our upcoming season credit policy.

2019/20 Sunshine Super Cards and Direct to Lift Passes:

Did not have a chance to use your pass?

All unused 2019/20 Sunshine Super Cards and Direct to Lift Passes can be upgraded for a complimentary 2020/21 Sunshine Super Card all season long.

Were you due for your 4th or 7th day free?

All 3 or 6 times used 2019/20 Sunshine Super Cards and Direct to Lift Passes can be exchanged for one complimentary lift ticket up until and valid to December 24th, 2020.

We will be able to do this exchange at our Calgary office or Guest Services on mountain.
    Gonna head up there Monday for one last day before my Discovery Park Pass expires. Free snowboard day!

For SSV, get there really early, clear the gondola and then the lines are relatively normal. Also, pack a lunch and water, because getting to the lodge is a long wait. The days of a warmup lunch + beers are done.

Thanks for posting that. I think I went 6 times on my card last year so should be able to get the 7th day ticket for this year.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yes, back in the day when I used to ski sunshine, you want to be parking at 8:15, put a granola bar in your pocket and ski until around 1:30 or 2:00 when people are finishing up lunch, then you can either eat your lunch, or just head down and get your lunch in canmore or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    For SSV, get there really early, clear the gondola and then the lines are relatively normal. Also, pack a lunch and water, because getting to the lodge is a long wait. The days of a warmup lunch + beers are done.
    Can still use the lodge if you're packing your own food? Earlier in the summer, the news was saying some of the resorts were thinking about only letting people use the lodges if they were buying food and anyone packing a lunch would have to go eat outside but they would set up tents for people.

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I think I went 6 times on my card last year so should be able to get the 7th day ticket for this year.
    Sunshine shut down literally the day before I was planning to use my 4th visit freebie in March so I emailed them the next day and she said she'd extend it to the end of the calendar year. I like that they expanded that to include unused cards too.

FYI, MEC has this promo for Black Friday:
    https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/black-...and-conditions

Not sure if it applies to Discovery Cards, but I'm gonna give it a try and see if I get the discount.

Not sure actually, the lineup was long and just not worth it IMO. Not to mention, I wouldn't want to be inside with another 200 people anyway. It's going to be interesting on the colder days though...

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Can still use the lodge if you're packing your own food?
    Someone was telling me that some resorts are not allowing your own food in the lodge anymore. Im sure most resorts will follow this rule if they havent already. Im scared to see what the lodges are going to be like.......

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Do you know how the lines were once you were up the gondola? If its just a rough first line then normal ish on the ski lifts then that's not the worst.
    No i wasnt there, i saw it on the news. Rough first line is putting this nicely lol https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/restricti...ideo-1.5200113. I would bet the line ups on the chairs to be bad too
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yes, back in the day when I used to ski sunshine, you want to be parking at 8:15, put a granola bar in your pocket and ski until around 1:30 or 2:00 when people are finishing up lunch, then you can either eat your lunch, or just head down and get your lunch in canmore or something.
    this, usually I like to go first thing in the morning and usually I'm done/bored by noon-1pm.

taking the first 2 Tuesday off in December so I'm hoping to hit Sunshine and Lake Louise.

I only went once last season, so twice this season will be an improvement haha, might ski too since my brother in law is overseas right now so I can finally use my skis again.

I love Whistler and BC in general: "We're opening up today, please send us your money for a season pass, but we don't want you here, especially if you're bringing your own lunch"

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by madtor1 View Post
    Do you know if you can you get a refund for the costco tickets if they close down the ski hills?
    Word on the street (google) is yes. I looked this up myself.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Not sure if this is the proper place.. but ah well.

Looking at a new jacket (shell). Seeing that I am strictly a resort guy, would I notice a difference between 2L and 3L goretex shells? And is it worth an extra $150-200 for the 3L? Currently looking at a few different Burton/Ak, 686 and Volcom jackets in the $3-500 range (which most are currently on sale)

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Not sure if this is the proper place.. but ah well.

Looking at a new jacket (shell). Seeing that I am strictly a resort guy, would I notice a difference between 2L and 3L goretex shells? And is it worth an extra $150-200 for the 3L? Currently looking at a few different Burton/Ak, 686 and Volcom jackets in the $3-500 range (which most are currently on sale)
    For a hard shell I'd usually say it's 3L or bust.

But for the people who actually want to weigh the value of what you're actually getting by spending the extra money, unless it's Revy or Whistler or other resorts where it can get wet and unpleasant and have big temperature fluctuations I don't think you'd notice the difference.

For a shell, Goretex 2L is really their '2.5L.' Only insulated jackets can have 2L (or it's Goretex Paclite which is shit, but also more of a rain shell thing so not much to worry about). So you're not giving up much. If you sweat a lot and do a lot of slackcountry stuff at resorts, I'd push you back to the 3L. Otherwise 2L, particularly from the brands mentioned, is more than fine. Use the savings for the aprés-ski.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Been loving the snow in big white. Been 4 days since opening!

Name:  24E69D8B-B49C-4113-86D3-1E1728A6A54F.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  114.7 KB

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast