Quantcast
Hairiest Moments - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hairiest Moments

Default Hairiest Moments

Recently had a discussion with another hard core car enthusiast which devolved into a discussion on the hairiest moments each of us have had in different Ferraris, McLarens, & Porsche's over the years. Thought it was worth documenting a few of mine: https://karenable.com/my-hairiest-supercar-moments/

What have been yours?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’ve had some pretty close calls flat towing for work, generally in the dark when road surface changes quickly and you start to feel the back end come around and have to be extremely smooth and gentle to find some grip and drop speed. I remember last year having a OOOO shit moment exiting turn 6 at Castrol around 135km/h where it started to go wide towards the grass, just barely had enough room to keep all four wheels on. My fault for being too aggressive on the curb and unsettling the car. Other than that I damaged my dads rear fenders being too aggressive around cones at auto x a few times, those are some real “oh shit that sounded expensive” runs.

I also wrote off two cars in one hit leaving an ice racing event which was shameful.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Turn 6 at Castrol isn't as scary as if it happened in T1! I've mowed those dandelions before One of our track days I lost the throttle return spring on the straight between turn 6 and 7 in the rain. That got exciting when I went for the brakes and the car didn't want to slow down, so clutch in and into the rev limiter before killing the engine, but I was all kinds of backwards by then and went into the grass on the outside of 7. Glad it happened there though with lots of run-off.

Mine by far is when I had an oil fire during a race. The flames melted the grommets on the firewall and I had a jet of fire into the passenger area of the car. I remember being astounded at how hot the fire was. Managed to get the car to the corner workers and used my fire system to save it, but that was a close one.

Would have been during first Covid-19 lockdown. Didn't shave for 3 months. Made @Toilet_X jealous.

Name:  9ct8r.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  23.1 KB

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Nice blog. Even nicer Miata.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

What's the statute of limitations on illegal activities involving cars and insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    What's the statute of limitations on illegal activities involving cars and insurance?
    Depends on the country.

My Ride
    V8s

Mine have definitely been on sport bikes, in my younger and dumber days. Top of the list is becoming unintentionally airborne while accelerating at ~230kph, coming down and hitting my chin on the tank and then getting speed wobbles... steering damper saved my bacon. I had a video of this from a gopro, will update my post w/ it if I can dig it up. It was without a doubt, the scariest thing that I've been through (that didn't actually result in a crash).

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

ran out of talent and road, all at the same corner.

Name:  Capture_LI.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  1.20 MB

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Mine have definitely been on sport bikes, in my younger and dumber days. Top of the list is becoming unintentionally airborne while accelerating at ~230kph, coming down and hitting my chin on the tank and then getting speed wobbles... steering damper saved my bacon. I had a video of this from a gopro, will update my post w/ it if I can dig it up. It was without a doubt, the scariest thing that I've been through (that didn't actually result in a crash).
    Please find this!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I posted this in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Testing #1 as well, on highway 1A. Taking some corners at 9/10ths. Some blind. This was after one of the heavy rainfalls. Blind corner, cornering at almost the limit, a fucking river across the road. Car instantly hydroplaned, towards the mountain wall, at 150-160km/h. No clue how I managed to keep it on the road. Slowed down and silence in the car. @kenny breaks the ice 2 mins later. "That was pretty fucking close huh?"
    More details to the story, back when I was young and invincible, I used to tune cars out on highway 1A. Everything from power delivery, to suspension tuning. 1A has an insanely good mix of low mid and high speed corners with various camber changes and tons of bumps to really sort out a car. As it also runs through Stoney First Nations reserve, there are no cops. Ever.

This was probably my closest near hurt/death story. A stripped out to nothing 400hp 2000lb Turbo Honda Civic EG track car, no safety gear (no roll cage or anything), literally a bare metal shell with some Type-R seats and OEM seatbelts, flying through 1A with way the fuck too stiff suspension, hydroplaning at the apex of a mid speed left hander on R compounds going at a really good 9/10ths clip. I honestly don't know how I kept it on the road, just remember I was uber smooth through the "river", with very minor counter steering and managed to slide right to the edge of the road before the small ditch and into the side of mountain. Would've lost both beyond.ca founders in that one moment lol.

We had a lot of camera gear in the car later on, really wish I caught this one on tape.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

So many... how does one choose?

Probably high school going to Louise on the 1A, or returning? It was dusk either way. Hairiest as I wasn’t driving!! Buddy had his mom’s Toyota Previa... doing about 180km/h... and a whole group of deer just chillin in the oncoming lane, about 6” away from us as we went by... with that giant ass windshield... they were oh so close to being in our laps!

The first everything on a sport bike was hairy of course... getting hit by a car sucked, getting stuck with a shit headlight and tinted visor coming back in the pitch dark from Canmore on the 1A sucked too, but was fine.

Turn one at RC was always hairy... coming into it sitting on the limiter, especially that one time I almost took out Dave when he was shooting at turn 2, that I didn’t even come close to making it around

Drifting the bank at the oval was always sketch, seemed like a car went into it almost every practice... but I never did crash on it. Did back it into the infield wall once. Basically a nonevent though.

Probably more near death experiences at the ski hill though, but again so many nothing really stands out! Haha

Did you people believe in supernatural forces (angels) before, how bout after? lol

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Car I drove fastest was probably also the slowest car I ever owned. 1993 Hyundai Excel. Drove everywhere with my foot to the floor for about 5 years straight. Passing people on the sunshine access road, back-alley rally racing, and some epic runs down the forestry trunk road near Cataract creek. Commuting back and forth to Rocky Mountain house in the dark. There are about 100 different ways to go from Goldenrod Hall to Sundre, and all of them are interesting in a car with bad handling and rock-hard tires in the winter. Used to do laps around the John Laurie to McKnight eastbound corner, and I could keep it to 80 and above if I used the entire width of the road there. That's fast as hell in that car.

Used to have a little driving aggression issue, and some stress. I'm pretty calm these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Backing the 04 Corolla out of the driveway, I bumped my garbage can.

My Ride
    ute

I'm embarrassed that I have to think so hard about this.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Would have been during first Covid-19 lockdown. Didn't shave for 3 months. Made @Toilet_X jealous.
    I don't care who y'ar, that's funny right there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Would have been during first Covid-19 lockdown. Didn't shave for 3 months. Made @Toilet_X horny.
    FTFY

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I walked away from this in '78 (yes fuck off, I'm old we already established that)
    OK didn't walk away, an ambulance took me, but I walked out of the hospital hours later. Couple cracked ribs, a shit-ton of glass in my face/scalp '68 Nova. RIP.

Name:  2019-01-30-0004.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  80.2 KB

Jesus that's a good wreck.
    No crumple zones, no head rest.
    Bet you only had a lap belt to drive and might not have been wearing it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I was 16, it was the first winter I drove, and I was going southbound the centre street bridge when all my windows fogged up. I could not see a thing and I ended up hitting the cement sides on the bridge just over the Bow River. I know the chances of me driving off the bridge and into the water was pretty unlikely at those speeds, but when you're a kid the thought definitely crosses your mind. I let my windows defrost a little more now before I start driving off.

A few years ago I was on my motorcycle (also going southbound centre street....) when someone in oncoming traffic started turning left into 15th Ave/New Asia. Then the driver stopped. Then started again. Then stopped. The driver couldn't make up his or her mind on whether or not they should make the turn (I'm assuming the driver was a member of the triple-O club). Then at the last second gunned it into the intersection. I had to brake quickly... except I disengaged the clutch instead of braking. I ride my bicycle to work so often my muscle memory was used to the front brakes being on the left hand and not the right like on motorcycles. When I realized this, I had to do an emergency brake. My rear wheel locked up and started fish tailing so I was trying to maintain my balance to keep from wiping out while braking at the same time. That weekend I swapped the brake cables on all my bicycles so that the front brake is on the right hand to match motorcycles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast