Quantcast
Yet Another What Car to Buy Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet Another What Car to Buy Thread

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Default Yet Another What Car to Buy Thread

Well Beyond I'm looking for your advice again. Last time I did this y'all had some good suggestions, and unlike most of these "What to Buy" threads I actually bought the car (https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/388...-Winter-Beater) and then subsequently sold it a year later (https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/397...o-S60-R-Design) because like many of you I'm sure, I have Car ADD, Car ADHD perhaps.

In July I sold my Golf R as it was a bit small and coming off warranty, in hindsight I probably shouldn't of as it was such a great little car especially with an RSB, Juice Box and some minor wheel/tire/suspension work. I then foolishly bought an Audi A6 3.0T (thinking it would basically be a slightly bigger/heavier S4), that lasted all of 2 months.

My criteria is as follows and I am fairly strict on these:

1. Reliable - I've done the Audi thing and the BMW thing and I'm pretty sick of German car problems, so no off warranty German cars is basically what I'm saying, CPO would be ok I guess
    2. Quick - Let's say North of 350HP (I found the 320HP A6 booooring), I have a track/autocross car so it doesn't have to necessarily be nimble or agile
    3. RWD or AWD
    4. Low-ish Mileage - Let's say under 75,000kms
    5. Under $40K
    - Sedan or Wagon, perhaps a Coupe with a really big back seat
    - I will drive it year round with a set of winters though if there's a big dump of snow I'll take my truck
    - Manual or auto is fine

I've basically narrowed it down to two cars but curious to see if Beyond can think of anything else.

2012-13 Cadillac CTS-V
    Pro: Bullet proof drivetrain, fast af, intoxicating S/C whine, seems to have of flattened out in pricing so should do well when I sell it in a couple years
    Cons: Looks dated, the 6spd auto is very meh (manuals cost too much), expensive to insure, horrible fuel mileage

2011-12 Lexus ISF
    Pro: Toyota reliability, great sounding exhaust, also seems to have of flattened out in terms of pricing
    Cons: Tough to find a low mileage example that's not crack money, ??

Oh and before anybody suggests it, it can't be a Trackhawk

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Jaaaggg XF?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Dude.

Trackhawk....then murder it out like it's 2012 again.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Q50 Red Sport
    ATS-V

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I think a CTSV would be a great pick. ISFs are good cars too, just not fast enough for what you'd pay for one. Especially at Calgary elevation.

My Ride
    *The First*

I've got a sturdy 3-quarter-boner for an ISF.
    :slurp:

I'd thrice the IS-F.

So damn slick.
    Sure they aren't the fastest, but man do they look good.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Jaaaggg XF?
    Jag + Reliable = Does Not Compute

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Dude.

Trackhawk....then murder it out like it's 2012 again.
    Lolz

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    Q50 Red Sport
    ATS-V
    You of all people suggesting a Red Sport, that's rich
    Don't know much about the long term reliability of that 3.6TT in the ATS-V

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Genesis Sedan with the 5.0?

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Stinger GT.

ISF is good choice if you want to be slower than a stock 335 while using 2x the gas.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Stinger GT with a tune yes this.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Genesis Sedan with the 5.0?
    Hmm something to consider, there's one in town I might go take it for a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by gpomp View Post
    Stinger GT.

ISF is good choice if you want to be slower than a stock 335 while using 2x the gas.
    Stinger might work, last I checked they were still over $40K and getting a first model year production version of one could have some reliability concerns

True but at least the ISF won't catch on fire, which is more than I can say of my old 335 and will likely do really well in terms of value
    Last edited by 94boosted; 10-29-2020 at 05:22 PM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Should have just sent it on that CTS-V. GM has never ever done me wrong....................

My Ride
    V8s

Isf is fast enough to be fun, but it’s dog shit as a winter car. It was the only reason I sold mine and ended up replacing with an S4.

The isf was way more fun in the summer, but just so bad in the winter. For some reason worse traction than other rwd cars I’ve had, takes forever for oil to get to operating temp, suspension is heavily sprung and gets all clunky in the cold. Just overall the car feels like it’s unhappy when it’s below -5. If it wasn’t for that, I’d still have one. Drove mine for two years and sold it for $500 less than I bought it for.

I like the stinger gt, but wouldn’t touch a first year one with a ten foot pole.

I know you said no off warranty germans, but there’s two guys that live near me that both drive RS4s year round, and they seem awesome. Will retain value, and arguably the most reliable hi-po German of that era. Might be worth consideration?

The ctsv is probably a solid bet.. Feels a bit like an old man car, so they are soft enough to be comfy, but still high strung enough to be fun. I drove one that was tuned and pulley-ed, and it was a monster. One of the few American cars I’d consider buying. Recaros are a must have.

I hate FCA products, but a slightly older 2nd gen srt8 Jeep? It’s not a trackhawk, but almost as good. Idk if it’s in your price range, but probably ticks some boxes.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I hear the alltrak with a tune was beastly. Practically a trackhawk wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Should have just sent it on that CTS-V. GM has never ever done me wrong....................
    My issue with GM is the dealerships. I had my worst dealership experience ever at GSL and I sold my corvette because of GSL even though it was still under warranty. After two years of waiting for them to do my sunroof recall I just gave up (I made several calls to check on status but I don’t think they ever ordered the parts). It took me 3 tries to get an oil change done even though I made appointments each time. I realized they were not actually too busy to do my oil changes but wanted my car in the shop so they could joy ride in it. Everytime I went to pick it up there was ~30km of additional mileage and the oil change wasn’t completed and they wanted me to bring it back. One of those times the spring on my clutch pedal had snapped in half and lying on the driver side floor mat when I picked up the car so I had to bring it back yet again to have that fixed. I documented all of this and provided it to GM head office and they did nothing about it.

As for the CTS-V, the engine block is probably quite reliable but I’m not so sure about the rest of the car. Given the amount of warranty work I had on my corvette which had only 20k km on it, I’m not very optimistic about GM products. I find that the tremec manual transmission in the CTS-V is not a very enjoyable transmission to drive. It takes so much effort to shift, throws are long, and it is very notchy.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by richardchan2002 View Post
    My issue with GM is the dealerships. I had my worst dealership experience ever at GSL and I sold my corvette because of GSL even though it was still under warranty. After two years of waiting for them to do my sunroof recall I just gave up (I made several calls to check on status but I don’t think they ever ordered the parts). It took me 3 tries to get an oil change done even though I made appointments each time. I realized they were not actually too busy to do my oil changes but wanted my car in the shop so they could joy ride in it. Everytime I went to pick it up there was ~30km of additional mileage and the oil change wasn’t completed and they wanted me to bring it back. One of those times the spring on my clutch pedal had snapped in half and lying on the driver side floor mat when I picked up the car so I had to bring it back yet again to have that fixed. I documented all of this and provided it to GM head office and they did nothing about it.

As for the CTS-V, the engine block is probably quite reliable but I’m not so sure about the rest of the car. Given the amount of warranty work I had on my corvette which had only 20k km on it, I’m not very optimistic about GM products. I find that the tremec manual transmission in the CTS-V is not a very enjoyable transmission to drive. It takes so much effort to shift, throws are long, and it is very notchy.
    I was insinuating I’m done with GM vehicles as well. My Corvette was a piece of shit, and GSL also screwed me...and I worked there. I can’t wait to offload my Duramax and CTS-V in spring.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I’m definitely biased but CTS-V for sure. ATS-V would be a solid choice but I don’t think you’ll find one under $40k.
    The styling is dated but they deliver awesome bang for the buck. Mag ride suspension is fantastic and the transmission is ok once you learn the tricks to work around the deficiencies. I’ve owned mine for ~6 years now.

This one would be my first choice:
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...rce=ios_social

Or this one as a second pick:

Or this if the second pick sold, a few mods which should have it at ~600hp
    Last edited by 90_Shelby; 10-29-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I’m definitely biased but CTS-V for sure. ATS-V would be a solid choice but I don’t think you’ll find one under $40k.
    The styling is dated but they deliver awesome bang for the buck. Mag ride suspension is fantastic and the transmission is ok once you learn the tricks to work around the deficiencies.

This one would be my first choice:

Or this one as a second pick:
    I believe OP did make a offer on that V but they lowballed him on his trade and that car is now sold.

My Ride
    Car

If you change your mind on German Have a 2014 335i M Performance addition. I’m looking to change to something new in spring but could be swayed to sell sooner. Under 70k, comes with winters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast