Quantcast
Yet Another What Car to Buy Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet Another What Car to Buy Thread

My Ride
    Canyonero

I vote gen2 CTSV. I enjoyed the shit out of the one I had. 25L/100km on the regular though, which you understand going into it, it seems.

My Ride
    ute

Manual ctsvs are very expensive now.

The main reliability point would be the magnetic suspension and a couple of minor issues with the superchargers.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

My buddy still has his 09 V and I think he would sell it for about $38k (he’s really lazy about selling so it has just been parked in his shop for quite a while - not listed anywhere of course!). Silver A6 sedan with about 50,000 km, Recaros. It is modded and has gone 10.6@130-something. He has stock 19s and a set of Weld RTS drag wheels...not sure both would go with the car at that price though. PM me if you want his contact info.

I didn’t find the long term gas mileage in my V2 to be that bad but I generally drive pretty mellow and mainly highway.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Should have just sent it on that CTS-V. GM has never ever done me wrong....................
    Yah they literally sold it a day before I sold my Audi

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Isf is fast enough to be fun, but it’s dog shit as a winter car. It was the only reason I sold mine and ended up replacing with an S4.

The isf was way more fun in the summer, but just so bad in the winter. For some reason worse traction than other rwd cars I’ve had, takes forever for oil to get to operating temp, suspension is heavily sprung and gets all clunky in the cold. Just overall the car feels like it’s unhappy when it’s below -5. If it wasn’t for that, I’d still have one. Drove mine for two years and sold it for $500 less than I bought it for.
    Good feedback on the ISF, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardchan2002 View Post
    My issue with GM is the dealerships. I had my worst dealership experience ever at GSL and I sold my corvette because of GSL even though it was still under warranty. After two years of waiting for them to do my sunroof recall I just gave up (I made several calls to check on status but I don’t think they ever ordered the parts). It took me 3 tries to get an oil change done even though I made appointments each time. I realized they were not actually too busy to do my oil changes but wanted my car in the shop so they could joy ride in it. Everytime I went to pick it up there was ~30km of additional mileage and the oil change wasn’t completed and they wanted me to bring it back. One of those times the spring on my clutch pedal had snapped in half and lying on the driver side floor mat when I picked up the car so I had to bring it back yet again to have that fixed. I documented all of this and provided it to GM head office and they did nothing about it.

As for the CTS-V, the engine block is probably quite reliable but I’m not so sure about the rest of the car. Given the amount of warranty work I had on my corvette which had only 20k km on it, I’m not very optimistic about GM products. I find that the tremec manual transmission in the CTS-V is not a very enjoyable transmission to drive. It takes so much effort to shift, throws are long, and it is very notchy.
    It's definitely a YMMV scenario, I've had many GM's over the years including a Corvette (which was tracked and autocrossed aggressively for 5+ years) and while I've had shitty experiences at Shaganappi GM overall the cars themselves have been rock solid and far, far more reliable than the German cars I've had.

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I’m definitely biased but CTS-V for sure. ATS-V would be a solid choice but I don’t think you’ll find one under $40k.
    The styling is dated but they deliver awesome bang for the buck. Mag ride suspension is fantastic and the transmission is ok once you learn the tricks to work around the deficiencies. I’ve owned mine for ~6 years now.

This one would be my first choice:
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...rce=ios_social

Or this one as a second pick:

Or this if the second pick sold, a few mods which should have it at ~600hp
    Yah Don Wheaton being sleeazy with that 2012 CTS-V, I'm pissed. I'd much prefer a 2012-13 over a 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    I vote gen2 CTSV. I enjoyed the shit out of the one I had. 25L/100km on the regular though, which you understand going into it, it seems.
    Yikes, I expected it to be bad but not that bad :O

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Manual ctsvs are very expensive now.

The main reliability point would be the magnetic suspension and a couple of minor issues with the superchargers.
    Yah the mag shocks have come down a lot in replacement cost and the Supercharger I think is covered for 10yrs/100,000km

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    My buddy still has his 09 V and I think he would sell it for about $38k (he’s really lazy about selling so it has just been parked in his shop for quite a while - not listed anywhere of course!). Silver A6 sedan with about 50,000 km, Recaros. It is modded and has gone 10.6@130-something. He has stock 19s and a set of Weld RTS drag wheels...not sure both would go with the car at that price though. PM me if you want his contact info.

I didn’t find the long term gas mileage in my V2 to be that bad but I generally drive pretty mellow and mainly highway.
    Thanks but I'd definitely prefer something that's not modded as it will be a DD.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Genesis Sedan with the 5.0?
    Just drove the 2016 5.0 at Precision Hyundai last night, I had to double check twice that it was the V8 and not the V6. So big and sluggish.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

If you are willing to break the no German rule (consider that Porsche reliability is pretty good), perhaps consider a used Macan Turbo?
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    If you are willing to break the no German rule (consider that Porsche reliability is pretty good), perhaps consider a used Macan Turbo?
    Idk about the macan, but if the cayenne is any indicator, they are a nightmare to own out of warranty. Random example, the battery is located under the drivers seat, and replacing it is just as bad/expensive as you’d think. Not to mention cylinder scoring is rampant in that v8.

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    It's definitely a YMMV scenario, I've had many GM's over the years including a Corvette (which was tracked and autocrossed aggressively for 5+ years) and while I've had shitty experiences at Shaganappi GM overall the cars themselves have been rock solid and far, far more reliable than the German cars I've had.
    That’s one thing I agree with you on. I would much rather an American car fail on me out of warranty than a German one.

It’s really too bad there’s not a lot of Japanese vehicles with decent performance. The IS-F is getting a bit long in the tooth and they feel overpriced for a platform that debuted in 2006. Not sure if GS-F prices have dropped into your price range yet but those seem decent - Jeremy Clarkson did a review on one a couple years back on Grand Tour. I think they are RWD only, but maybe Lexus has improved the RWD for better winter driving since the IS-F?

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I was insinuating I’m done with GM vehicles as well. My Corvette was a piece of shit, and GSL also screwed me...and I worked there. I can’t wait to offload my Duramax and CTS-V in spring.
    Gotcha, I read that completely wrong. My sarcasm detector must be broken. Sounds like GSL hasn’t changed that much - I sold my Corvette over a decade ago before the bumper to bumper expired.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I know "reliable" and "GM" don't always go together, and "reliable" and "Northstar" really don't go together. But what about getting weird with a Cadillac STS-V?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...s-v/1532824162

Name:  $_59.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  66.9 KB

It's a little bigger than a CTS-V and a lot more rare. Is it far enough under your budget to take a chance on something like that?
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I'm not very good at this game because I'm always biased toward GM and tend to prefer contrarian solutions. Here's a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...-gt/1532539913

Views: 376
Size:  42.0 KB
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    I'm not very good at this game because I'm always biased toward GM and tend to prefer contrarian solutions. Here's a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT.

Views: 376
Size:  42.0 KB
    Im not saying I don’t like GM stuff, I’m just saying I can’t afford it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That Pontiac is a sweet car. I rented one back in the day when they were new, because I have that hookup at the rental place. They got those basically by accident. Sweet sweet engine. I did a hot lap from Peter Lougheed park to calgary taking the sibbald road. Traction and stability control kept my out of the ditches somehow while I pretended to be a rally driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

Maybe a bit over budget

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

And one definitely over.

Corvette all the things!
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 10-31-2020 at 11:00 AM.

My Ride
    *The First*

G8's are great.
    What's an imported Chevy SS cost?

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Idk about the macan, but if the cayenne is any indicator, they are a nightmare to own out of warranty. Random example, the battery is located under the drivers seat, and replacing it is just as bad/expensive as you’d think. Not to mention cylinder scoring is rampant in that v8.
    The 958 Cayenne's have generally been quite good as far as reliability goes. The major fault being the transfer case is now covered under extended warranty, cylinder scoring was a problem in the first gen.

Macan is shown to be pretty good so far. If you are comfortable with the American brands, it's worth a look.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

You probably could find a CLS550 in that price range or if you bumped it up a bit, could snag a CLS63.

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 - 47k
    https://www.mercedes-benz-downtownca...berta/18067975

Or take Jordan's allocation on the RS6 Avant.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    You probably could find a CLS550 in that price range or if you bumped it up a bit, could snag a CLS63.

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 - 47k
    https://www.mercedes-benz-downtownca...berta/18067975

Or take Jordan's allocation on the RS6 Avant.
    I love beyond...go from 40k budget to 140k lol

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    I love beyond...go from 40k budget to 140k lol
    -Insert comment about cost of ownership and not losing money on trade
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    The 958 Cayenne's have generally been quite good as far as reliability goes. The major fault being the transfer case is now covered under extended warranty, cylinder scoring was a problem in the first gen.

Macan is shown to be pretty good so far. If you are comfortable with the American brands, it's worth a look.
    I had no idea they fixed that for second gen. Are they the budget baller family hauler now? They depreciate like crazy.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I know "reliable" and "GM" don't always go together, and "reliable" and "Northstar" really don't go together. But what about getting weird with a Cadillac STS-V?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...s-v/1532824162

It's a little bigger than a CTS-V and a lot more rare. Is it far enough under your budget to take a chance on something like that?
    Interesting suggestion, link is down though.

That one seems rough around the edges but could be considered I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Maybe a bit over budget

And one definitely over.

Corvette all the things!
    I would absolutely love a G8 GXP or a Chevy SS but the prices on them are insane plus importing a car with Covid could be tricky as you can't drive it across the border yourself.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast