Quantcast
Government jobs are gravy - MEGA THREAD - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Government jobs are gravy - MEGA THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    have heard rumours of suppliers back in the good days that had to implement policies of leave your porsche at home when customers are visiting. I graduated in 2013 and have dreamt more of 711 compared to 911's
    Everybody's heard this story. At this point it's gotta be an urban legend.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Everybody's heard this story. At this point it's gotta be an urban legend.
    We should probably check city hall before we decide that - or maybe they have the policy in place

If I remember correctly my wife was on the 92k/year salary (top tier for teachers at Epsb with no masters) and her take home pay was just around $4600/month after taxes/union fees/pensiom contribution. Benefits are good and I think they get $700 health spending per year. If you think this justifies a luxury car then I don't know what we were doing wrong. She drove a Mazda 5.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    There was one New Grad position I recently saw at Ovintiv, that was a first in probably 2 years. From what I've seen of people getting hired in G&G during 2017/2018, it was ~75-85K/yr with a christmas bonus at major E&Ps. People had internships and Master's degrees. Miraculously they're all still working. After I finished my MSc. in 2018, I had a mix of 4-month contracts to a year long, ranging from 63k-94k/yr, some a mix of being considered a student (the 94k was a student contract technically if you can believe it).

I recently applied to Golder, and during the application, it asked about yearly salary expectations. Selection choices ranged from 45-50, 50-55, 55-60, 60+. Glassdoor suggested their pay for a Junior/Intermediate was more in-line with $55K, +/-. As I look at a lot of industries, it amazes me how many want a Bachelors's, 1-3 years of experience and <50K year.

If even if I say yes, I'll work for that (and I have), there are 200+ applicants (AT LEAST) you're competing with who likely are willing to work for the same peanuts. Internal references don't seem to make much of a difference these days.

Just gotta chin-up and keep networking and differentiating yourself where you can. Staying positive helps too.
    Jesus 60k for a bachelors. I'd just go into sales

I got 62k I think for a shit oilsands construction role back in 2011. If someone offered me something close to that now... there would be no Accord 6x6's in my future
    Last edited by riander5; 11-15-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: more info

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7