Quantcast
Government jobs are gravy - MEGA THREAD - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Government jobs are gravy - MEGA THREAD

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imagine it being 2020, and starting at $50K again.

That's the reality, although $50K sounds high.

Did you ever read about my post about my friend that got a new job in early 2019? They apologized for the salary because it was less than $100K. He has 20 years experience.

I figure if my company goes under I'm going to end up making about 1/3 what I am now, presuming someone will hire me.

I do know for a fact that the CoC has cut IT contractor rates at least 20%.
    That’s all if you are hired. I don’t know anyone who hires new grads anymore.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Those days are long over.

Even $100K for experienced people has been over for a while now, way back in 2018.
    For what industry? O&G? If so what sector of O&G.. i know the 100k plus days in producers and midstreamers are far from over.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Look man, they have a very tough job. But they get fairly compensated.
    I agree, but Buster implies they are over-paid for the hours they work

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I add in the paid days off they get the rest of the year on the regular, a long christmas vacation, etc. As for after-hours work - I wonder what teachers think the rest of the world does in their jobs? Do they think they are the only ones that work more than 40 hours?
    If you're on salary and working 50 hours a week for $75g, then that's your problem, not theirs. That's a supply and demand issue. Don't drag another profession down because yours doesn't compensate enough.

(Not you personally, a generic you)

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I agree, but Buster implies they are over-paid for the hours they work

If you're on salary and working 50 hours a week for $75g, then that's your problem, not theirs. That's a supply and demand issue. Don't drag another profession down because yours doesn't compensate enough.

(Not you personally, a generic you)
    No, I was saying it is incorrect to say a teacher make $XXXX per year. You need to say they make $XXXXX per 9 months or whatever. or they make $XXXXXX * 1.3 per year.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I had a job posting up that needed minimum 3 years experience and we were offering 3 days a week at $30/hr and got plenty of 8-10 year techs with good references applying.
    New engineering grads we hired 2 for less than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

No, I was saying it is incorrect to say a teacher make $XXXX per year. You need to say they make $XXXXX per 9 months or whatever. or they make $XXXXXX * 1.3 per year.
    That's still their income per year, regardless of how much they've actually worked.

A rigpig earning $200k in 9 months, while enjoying a 3 month shutdown, still makes $200k a year (except they get EI as well, while teachers don't)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, back when the rigs were busy, they'd work 14 or 21 13 hour days in a row to get 4 or 7 off. So in those 9 months they'd work a year's worth of hours.

Rigpigs in 10 years probably make less than teachers in total compensation.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Mind your vinculum man.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 11-13-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Well, back when the rigs were busy, they'd work 14 or 21 13 hour days in a row to get 4 or 7 off. So in those 9 months they'd work a year's worth of hours.

Someone marth this out including bonus and camp steaks.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not actually relevant, but for a short while I was the company expert on how many days we could work the field guys and how few days off. It got silly and we did not get great results. People do some crazy stupid shit after the third week....

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

Total compensation I'd 100% agree. Hourly they probably make similar wage.

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    For what industry? O&G? If so what sector of O&G.. i know the 100k plus days in producers and midstreamers are far from over.
    I'm sure there's some positions that still pay really well, but those are few and far between now.

I do know for a fact many of those companies have had large pay cuts, so they're a lot closer to the $100K mark than than the $150K now.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Gah, that's some bad math.

Teachers pay zero health care premiums. That's a $5-$6K raise over any private job (there ain't one fucking private company that pays 100% premium).
    Teachers get Christmas break + summer. That's 11 weeks.

And they have one HELL of a awesome, amazing pension. You will NEVER get that kind of pension elsewhere.

Look man, they have a very tough job. But they get fairly compensated.
    I still paid insurance insurance premiums while I was a sub. Only when you are on a fulltime contract greater than a month does one get the better plan and even that only covers 70%, its basically the same as a normal drug plan...
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    Edge

I add in the paid days off they get the rest of the year on the regular, a long christmas vacation, etc. As for after-hours work - I wonder what teachers think the rest of the world does in their jobs? Do they think they are the only ones that work more than 40 hours?
    Which might add up to two months. After school is out there is work to be done (and meetings) for a week or two, and prior to school starting there is classroom setup for a week, plus lesson planning (at least for my sister who teaches grade 1; supposed to be one of the most intensive and hardest). She put in 60-70 hours a week pre-COVID and puts in more now. When I talked to her mid-October, she said she hadn't even been to bed before midnight since school started. Not to mention that she has always had to pay for a lot of supplies out-of-pocket. Of course, some of that depends on whether a teacher actually cares or not. And, of course, there are union dues ugh.

Having said all that, I think they get fairly compensated, but it isn't quite as good as everyone thinks, grade dependent, of course.

Other than that, as someone who has been looking for work for almost 5 years, I have come across a number of city jobs that only required a GED, a few obscure courses from who-knows-where, and minimal experience, either starting at or with the high end of the scale, paying more than I ever made doing mechanical design and drafting during the good years of O&G. Ridiculous.

Here is one now:

"As an Electronic Surveillance Interceptor, you will evaluate and prioritize information obtained from private communications of suspects collected through lawful telephone wiretaps. You will also compile details to create character profiles for investigators and accumulate a directory of names, numbers and addresses associated with each investigation. Specific duties include:

Monitor, evaluate, prioritize and document lawfully intercepted information related to serious crimes.
    Research and document character profiles; accumulate and maintain directories of names, numbers and addresses associated with each investigation.
    Monitor various forms of communication (for example: telephone based dialled number recorders, geographical mapping software) to track and relay intelligence.
    Research police databases to provide investigative support as needed; identify and report system hardware/software deficiencies, appear as Crown witness as required.

Qualifications

High School diploma or equivalency (e.g. GED) and job-related coursework in Communications, Justice Studies or related areas.
    3 years of experience in a police or security environment.
    Intermediate level of Microsoft Office Suite is required.
    General knowledge of police investigations or court processes would be an asset.
    Be able to achieve results that make the best use of time and resources. Strong communication skills with the ability to work in a team environment. Have relationship building skills and remain calm in stressful situations.

Union: CUPE Local 38

Business Unit: Calgary Police Service
    Position Type: Temporary (up to 1 year)

Compensation: Pay Grade 7 $31.25 - 41.81 per hour

Days of Work: This position works a 5 day
    work week with 1 day off in a 3 week cycle.
    Hours of work: Standard 35 hour work week"

https://recruiting.calgary.ca/psc/pd...teId=1&bid=326

I am over-qualified but just don't have the experience. Otherwise, I would jump at a chance like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuStacy View Post
    I still paid insurance insurance premiums while I was a sub. Only when you are on a fulltime contract greater than a month does one get the better plan and even that only covers 70%, its basically the same as a normal drug plan...
    Well there's your problem right there, you paid insurance on your insurance.

Rates are definitely way down. If you can even get the work (which there are hundreds of people with more experience than you also fighting for it), I'd say easily 25% less than two years ago, in a lot of cases, 35%+.

Extraslow doesn't paint an exactly bleak picture though. His rates work out to $60k/year to start, presumably with some sort of benefits and RRSP matching. That's not awful, and is generally inline with what I saw back in the early 2010's. I know a decade in, I am way below where I expected to be.

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    Which might add up to two months. After school is out there is work to be done (and meetings) for a week or two, and prior to school starting there is classroom setup for a week, plus lesson planning (at least for my sister who teaches grade 1; supposed to be one of the most intensive and hardest). She put in 60-70 hours a week pre-COVID and puts in more now. When I talked to her mid-October, she said she hadn't even been to bed before midnight since school started. Not to mention that she has always had to pay for a lot of supplies out-of-pocket. Of course, some of that depends on whether a teacher actually cares or not. And, of course, there are union dues ugh.

Having said all that, I think they get fairly compensated, but it isn't quite as good as everyone thinks, grade dependent, of course.

Other than that, as someone who has been looking for work for almost 5 years, I have come across a number of city jobs that only required a GED, a few obscure courses from who-knows-where, and minimal experience, either starting at or with the high end of the scale, paying more than I ever made doing mechanical design and drafting during the good years of O&G. Ridiculous.

Here is one now:

"As an Electronic Surveillance Interceptor, you will evaluate and prioritize information obtained from private communications of suspects collected through lawful telephone wiretaps. You will also compile details to create character profiles for investigators and accumulate a directory of names, numbers and addresses associated with each investigation. Specific duties include:

Monitor, evaluate, prioritize and document lawfully intercepted information related to serious crimes.
    Research and document character profiles; accumulate and maintain directories of names, numbers and addresses associated with each investigation.
    Monitor various forms of communication (for example: telephone based dialled number recorders, geographical mapping software) to track and relay intelligence.
    Research police databases to provide investigative support as needed; identify and report system hardware/software deficiencies, appear as Crown witness as required.

Qualifications

High School diploma or equivalency (e.g. GED) and job-related coursework in Communications, Justice Studies or related areas.
    3 years of experience in a police or security environment.
    Intermediate level of Microsoft Office Suite is required.
    General knowledge of police investigations or court processes would be an asset.
    Be able to achieve results that make the best use of time and resources. Strong communication skills with the ability to work in a team environment. Have relationship building skills and remain calm in stressful situations.

Union: CUPE Local 38

Business Unit: Calgary Police Service
    Position Type: Temporary (up to 1 year)

Compensation: Pay Grade 7 $31.25 - 41.81 per hour

Days of Work: This position works a 5 day
    work week with 1 day off in a 3 week cycle.
    Hours of work: Standard 35 hour work week"

https://recruiting.calgary.ca/psc/pd...teId=1&bid=326

I am over-qualified but just don't have the experience. Otherwise, I would jump at a chance like this.
    CPS has an extremely poor reputation in terms of work environment, not surprised that they have to pay such compensation.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Well there's your problem right there, you paid insurance on your insurance.
    Oops, see not an Engrish teacher here haha. No but seriously we still have premiums, been like that for at least 10 years now. Subs especially, cause they can't even choose to opt out of the blue cross heath plan which they are REQUIRED to pay for regardless of whether or not they actually work.
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuStacy View Post
    Oops, see not an Engrish teacher here haha. No but seriously we still have premiums, been like that for at least 10 years now. Subs especially, cause they can't even choose to opt out of the blue cross heath plan which they are REQUIRED to pay for regardless of whether or not they actually work.
    Full time teachers only pay premiums for life insurance. No premiums for health, dental, or disability. Ask me how I know.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Total compensation I'd 100% agree. Hourly they probably make similar wage.
    I'm skeptical because the teachers I know drive old exotics like Civics, Sunfires, and Outbacks instead of fully loaded lifted 4H/4A/4L Truks.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast