Quantcast
Wheel Bolt Pattern Converters? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Bolt Pattern Converters?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Wheel Bolt Pattern Converters?

Hi,

So I used to have a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek and now have a 2020 Forester. The overall wheel size is identical, but unbeknown to me, the bolt pattern is different. I see there are some adapters on the market, and was wondering if anyone know of any sold locally? My wheels are 5x100 and my car is 5x114. I could order some online, but would take a long time to arrive, winter might be over by then. This is only for winter use. Spent nearly $1600 on wheels/tires a year ago, and now trying to see if I could use them instead of losing a bunch of money trying to sell.

Thanks

Might be overall cheaper (and better) to simply sell your wheels and start from scratch with new rims/tires.

Especially on a brand new $40k vehicle

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Im not a fan of adapters, i'd rather buy wheels that fit. However every make is different in terms of the possible ramifications of adpaters.

Dont sell the rubber, but dismount sell the wheels and get used ones that fit (assuming winter wheels).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Call Urban Expressions and find out what your options are for new rims.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Adaptors are fine if they are built properly and can fit hub-centric, but they really are not as simple as thinking you have changed the bolt pattern so now you can use your existing rims. They also radically change offset and that is the point where you will usually run into issues if not properly thought out.

For example, if you have a 5-100 car that realistically uses (for arguments sake) a wheel that is 18x8.0 with an offset of ET35, and you are trying to use 5-114.3 wheels that are also 18x8.0 ET35, using an adaptor that is 25mm hoping to accommodate the length of the stock wheel studs without having to trim them off because they stick out to far, you end up with a setup that is 18x8.0 ET10, which with most cars will not fit without rubbing all over the place, or stick out so far they throw shit all down the side of your vehicle, both of which are not reasonable for most people.

You can get thinner adaptors but then you have the issues with stud length and needing to trim them off if the wheels do not have cavity backs in the right spot to account for the extra. No problem when using the spacers, but when you go back to the stock wheels without the spacers you will probably have to replace all the studs as they will now be too short.

More often than not it just doesn't make sense and you will be further ahead selling what you have and buying the right stuff as all these things mentioned above will more than likely negate any attempted cost savings versus just taking the hit on the sale and rebuying up front, plus you have created a ridiculous headache for yourself. The people who usually do this isn't for trying to save some money, but more because they are trying to do something unique like VW guys who used to run super high offset Corvette SawBaldes on there Golf and the adaptor basically made them a perfect offset for VW or things like that.

My Ride

Thanks for feedback. Will see if i can sell. What a headache, should have double checked, could have sold the wheels with the car but because of same diameter overall and being a Subaru with most parts shared between cars I thought it would be the same bolt pattern. Lesson learned.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Call the buyer up, tell them you can't use them and ask if they're interested. Unless you sold it months ago.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i bought the wife a minivan but had lots of wheels and tires because we owned a couple mazda's before, so i bought adapters and ran the summers from the mazda on the minivan, worked fine, you will need to consider offsets and all that but in a lot of situations it works fine, oh, also use blue locktite.

Also planning to do the same on my new(er) truck.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post

More often than not it just doesn't make sense and you will be further ahead selling what you have and buying the right stuff as all these things mentioned above will more than likely negate any attempted cost savings versus just taking the hit on the sale and rebuying up front, plus you have created a ridiculous headache for yourself. The people who usually do this isn't for trying to save some money, but more because they are trying to do something unique like VW guys who used to run super high offset Corvette SawBaldes on there Golf and the adaptor basically made them a perfect offset for VW or things like that.

Ah memories. Bob helped me out with these H&R adapters ~13 years ago on my MKIV Jetta so I could run Porsche fitment BBS LM's. Had absolutely zero concerns with them. Daily driven car which did tons of km's. Would do again but only with quality adapters. Pics from 2007:

Bolted on and converted to 5x130:

^^ Your old Jetta was incredible.

My Ride
    *The First*

WtF Subaru!?!! Switching bolt patterns wasn't mentioned in your Daniel Tosh commercial.
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 11-09-2020 at 01:57 PM.

My Ride

So have been looking into this a bit, and think I gave up on adapters, that direction of conversion seems pretty rare, most people want to run 5x114 on their 5x100 car, not the other way around.

So I'm thinking of just buying some cheapo rims and moving the tires over. My current set has TPMS sensors...can those be moved over? Will the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek sensors work on 2020 Forester? Perhaps @tirebob knows?

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    So have been looking into this a bit, and think I gave up on adapters, that direction of conversion seems pretty rare, most people want to run 5x114 on their 5x100 car, not the other way around.

So I'm thinking of just buying some cheapo rims and moving the tires over. My current set has TPMS sensors...can those be moved over? Will the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek sensors work on 2020 Forester? Perhaps @tirebob knows?
    Sensors can be moved from one set of wheels to another for sure. If they are the metal valve type it is simple enough so long as the collars are not corroded to the valve base but being so knew I don't think that would be an issue. If they are the rubber valve type then you will probably need a new TPMS valve stem but not a sensor so a small cost involved as they can run as much as $10 each depending what style they are. There are very rare occasions where a sensor has a rubber tams valve that the sensor can not be removed from as it is a one piece assembly, but I have never seen that on a Subaru TBH.

As to whether they will work or not, I can't say with certainty. The OEM part numbers are not identical but if you want to stop by with one of the sensors you hope to use, we can scan it under the year and model vehicle you have and see if it picks it up. If it does, you are GTG. If it won't, it is different programming.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Sensors can be moved from one set of wheels to another for sure. If they are the metal valve type it is simple enough so long as the collars are not corroded to the valve base but being so knew I don't think that would be an issue. If they are the rubber valve type then you will probably need a new TPMS valve stem but not a sensor so a small cost involved as they can run as much as $10 each depending what style they are. There are very rare occasions where a sensor has a rubber tams valve that the sensor can not be removed from as it is a one piece assembly, but I have never seen that on a Subaru TBH.

As to whether they will work or not, I can't say with certainty. The OEM part numbers are not identical but if you want to stop by with one of the sensors you hope to use, we can scan it under the year and model vehicle you have and see if it picks it up. If it does, you are GTG. If it won't, it is different programming.
    Would you be able to price out the cheapest all in price for me to get my tires moved over to some cheap ass rims, or even steeliest, taking into account the move of the TPMS sensors (assuming nothing needs to be replaced?) I want to get an idea if it's something I want to pursue. I am still trying to sell the rims and tires as is and don't want to rush into this, but would like to know my options. If I drop by with just a mounted rim/tire, would you be able to read TPMS without taking it out? Lots of small factors depend on which way I want to go with this.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Would you be able to price out the cheapest all in price for me to get my tires moved over to some cheap ass rims, or even steeliest, taking into account the move of the TPMS sensors (assuming nothing needs to be replaced?) I want to get an idea if it's something I want to pursue. I am still trying to sell the rims and tires as is and don't want to rush into this, but would like to know my options. If I drop by with just a mounted rim/tire, would you be able to read TPMS without taking it out? Lots of small factors depend on which way I want to go with this.
    PM inbound!

tirebob...sorry if you mentioned this already, but what is your take on spacers being bad for your suspension parts as they aren't usually designed for the wheels to stick out a further, say 25mm...I've read it it can be bad but also that the extra wear on components is minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    tirebob...sorry if you mentioned this already, but what is your take on spacers being bad for your suspension parts as they aren't usually designed for the wheels to stick out a further, say 25mm...I've read it it can be bad but also that the extra wear on components is minimal.
    Meh... Like anything it is situational and depends a lot on the user. Anytime you start pushing things out further than spec you are going to leverage stuff a bit differently, but that is true of using spacers or a wheel with a lower offset and no spacer. Some cars have beefier components and some cars shittier components. Some people drive their cars like they stole them and other people just doddle around. If you push things way out and beat the snot out of it things will wear out a lot faster than if you are not aggressive. If you are trying to do this on your Kia Rio I venture to say things are not quite as solid as if you were doing this on your Duramax 3500. It all comes into play.

Like almost everything, there is different degrees of results.

My Ride

Had a chat with Bob, and he informed me that my 16s won't work with the Sport trim Forester due to bigger breaks (didn't even know Sport was more than some color accents and a badge), so looks like I am out of luck. Will try to sell and see if someone buys at some point, as I can't even reuse the rubber.

I was doing some further research and came across Toyo Celsius tires, all-weather.....was thinking, next year I need to buy new Winters for wife, as well as new Tires for the summer....could I just get these for her 10km drive to and from work twice a week in the city....seems like they are pretty decent for inner city driving and I won't have to swap tires all the time. I would still get Winters for my Forester as it would be the car we would take on the highway to the ski slopes etc.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You guys own two foresters? Nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    You guys own two foresters? Nice.
    Name:  Screenshot_20201110-194312~2.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  93.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast