Quantcast
Replacing exhaust manifold gaskets, F150, shop recommendations - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Replacing exhaust manifold gaskets, F150, shop recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Truck is Lariat with 205,000km.

I thought this also, but couple issues:
    -who wants to buy a truck that stinks unbearably like exhaust in the cab? Ok in summer when you can open windows, but really sucks in winter.
    -if the truck is worth $5K as is, plus $2K to fix. Can I buy a better truck for $7K?
    -my current finances and lack of job security preclude me taking on monthly payment for a newer truck

Big thanks to Revelations for his FB Cash Jobs site tip. Found a guy on there, says he has done many of these, isn't concerned about broken studs, as he heats stud red hot with torch prior to removal, has good success rate not breaking them. If they break he welds new nut on. Price quoted is $800/side, all in, counting broken stud removal, and OEM manifold kits (studs, gasket, manifold).
    100%, all good points, seems like you've thought it through for sure. One thing to keep in mind is that you may be more sensitive to car issues than others. Rattles, vibrations, sounds, and smells are subjective in severity to a lot of people. Not saying you are making the wrong choice, just that is where my mind was at when making the suggestion.

$800 is a fantastic deal, I'd pull the trigger on that for sure.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    100%, all good points, seems like you've thought it through for sure. One thing to keep in mind is that you may be more sensitive to car issues than others. Rattles, vibrations, sounds, and smells are subjective in severity to a lot of people. Not saying you are making the wrong choice, just that is where my mind was at when making the suggestion.

$800 is a fantastic deal, I'd pull the trigger on that for sure.
    CO poisoning is partially cumulative. This needs to be fixed right now and it needs to be fixed on the cheap.
    I recall ignoring a gasket fix many years ago when I was in a financial bind. Until the headaches started...

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    OmG that Ford 5.4... Isn't that the same one that seizes its spark plugs in and then breaks the electrode off into the cylinder?

I'd follow some of Revelations advice. Do not attempt this yourself unless you have about two weeks to screw around with it.
    Yep that's the same jewel with the amazing spark plug design.

I'm not even considering it myself, not sure if it's a job for backyard guy, unless they'd done em before.

If the OP's truck is indeed a 2008, it should have the updated head design that uses normal, non-breaky spark plugs. Easy to change.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Truck is Lariat with 205,000km.

I thought this also, but couple issues:
    -who wants to buy a truck that stinks unbearably like exhaust in the cab? Ok in summer when you can open windows, but really sucks in winter.
    -if the truck is worth $5K as is, plus $2K to fix. Can I buy a better truck for $7K?
    -my current finances and lack of job security preclude me taking on monthly payment for a newer truck

Big thanks to Revelations for his FB Cash Jobs site tip. Found a guy on there, says he has done many of these, isn't concerned about broken studs, as he heats stud red hot with torch prior to removal, has good success rate not breaking them. If they break he welds new nut on. Price quoted is $800/side, all in, counting broken stud removal, and OEM manifold kits (studs, gasket, manifold).
    That cash jobs group is an absolute gold mine - way better than kijiji. Have used dozens of trades and tech people there - however, you do have to do the managing/checking on progress as they are subcontractors. Had a fence guy who started a job (paid for materials, which they dropped off) but then was incognito for a few days - even though they said they would start the next day.

1600$ is better than 2100$.
    Last edited by revelations; 11-12-2020 at 12:03 PM.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    If the OP's truck is indeed a 2008, it should have the updated head design that uses normal, non-breaky spark plugs. Easy to change.
    Good to know!

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    My contact says the Chevy equivalents of these work great, but has not tried one on Ford.
    https://www.kralautoparts.com/produc...kap5-4-single/
    I used one of those on my 2015 Sierra 2500 and it did not work well at all.. it would still tick like crazy at start up. I ended up just paying the 1300$ to replace the studs and manifolds. I got it done at a reputable exhaust shop in Edmonton.

My Ride
    rx7

I’ve heard carline muffler in Marlborough behind Canadian tire is the go to for this repair

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2