Quantcast
How Do I Reset My Tire Pressure Light? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How Do I Reset My Tire Pressure Light?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

@tirebob Would you say that 7 years is about time for TPMS batteries to be changed out?

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @tirebob Would you say that 7 years is about time for TPMS batteries to be changed out?
    TPMS batteries cannot be changed out. They are molded in plastic solid state, otherwise moisture etc would be able to work its way in under pressure etc and they would foul in no time. When the batteries die, you replace the entire sensor.

Time frame does vary a lot. For the most part, sensors lie dormant until the car is started or under motion so for some people they can last 10 years or more and other people they die in just a few years. Truthfully I think like any battery, sometimes they just get fucked due to environmental conditions, glitches, etc. I even get brand new ones in box sometimes that the batteries are already dead. Go figure.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Mar.

The Scat of 2020
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by topmade View Post
    Sorry my bad, I mean the button to turn off traction control is disabled when the TPMS light is on so traction control will be on all the time which probably doesn't matter to most people.
    Gotcha! That makes more sense. I was about to crack out the "potato" memes for the car companies.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    TPMS batteries cannot be changed out. They are molded in plastic solid state, otherwise moisture etc would be able to work its way in under pressure etc and they would foul in no time. When the batteries die, you replace the entire sensor.

Time frame does vary a lot. For the most part, sensors lie dormant until the car is started or under motion so for some people they can last 10 years or more and other people they die in just a few years. Truthfully I think like any battery, sometimes they just get fucked due to environmental conditions, glitches, etc. I even get brand new ones in box sometimes that the batteries are already dead. Go figure.
    Ah gotcha. It sounds like I should have swapped out the OEM sensors when I mounted the winters to the OEM wheels last year.

It's been 6 years but I didn't even know how TPMS worked.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Ah gotcha. It sounds like I should have swapped out the OEM sensors when I mounted the winters to the OEM wheels last year.

It's been 6 years but I didn't even know how TPMS worked.
    They are not hard to change out usually. Some vehicles tire and wheels dictate a full dismount but if you have a typical OEM setup, most of them can just be dealt with by breaking the bead and just holding the tire down and changing the sensor. If you put a different one in and the weight is different it may need a balance but if the same sensor is going back in then it should even need that so long as the tire stays on the rim in the same position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2