Quantcast
Longest time at a job before you quit (no package involved) - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Longest time at a job before you quit (no package involved)

My Ride
    4x4

10yrs for that branch, 14 for the company itself.

Downhill spiral, from family owned - owner/president insists on handing you a Christmas bonus every year, to being sold/resold by investment groups quarterly (and Christmas 'bonus' became a card).

Literally put me in the psych ward as it deteriorated into chaos...

Still haven't settled since... Every time I think I've found a direction to move it seems to go to crap too.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    5 years. Left TELUS to become a welder......thats been hit or miss for the last 3 years, especially this year. Like someone else said, I said I'd do it(as a journeyman) for 5 years, I have a bit over 2 years left to move onto something else, maybe get my level one or something.
    QC? I hear that's a tough place to get rolling currently (like anything I suppose).

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I averaged 3-5 years throughout my career, then 10 years self-employed, and 17 years and counting in my current job.
    I'm happy there, and they're happy with me, but no guarantees. With so much IT going "cloud" (though it still needs to be managed) and the economy sucking.
    Not going anywhere at my age, I'd be pretty effed if I lost this job.

My Ride
    Silverado

Graduated in 2013. Fortunate enough to stay employed. How the could I go anywhere else.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner View Post
    QC? I hear that's a tough place to get rolling currently (like anything I suppose).
    Ya QC, I hear ya on that too. Best way to do it is to be with a company that has them and force it on them eventually lol nothing wrong with getting the level 1 and having it until something opens up.

Being that im a welder already gives me an edge over these fools without tickets.

5 years. Left TELUS to become a welder......thats been hit or miss for the last 3 years, especially this year. Like someone else said, I said I'd do it(as a journeyman) for 5 years, I have a bit over 2 years left to move onto something else, maybe get my level one or something.
    Hah, HELUS was the place I quit as well. A bit of variety after that but have certainly settled into something I enjoy and being my own boss is a bonus.

My Ride
    Bicycle

14 going into 15.

Compensation is decent and job/environment is good enough that never looked elsewhere.

But COVID does put things/outlook into a different perspective beyond just money and things.

As for longest job before quitting is 7 years. Shortest is 8 months.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Ya QC, I hear ya on that too. Best way to do it is to be with a company that has them and force it on them eventually lol nothing wrong with getting the level 1 and having it until something opens up.

Being that im a welder already gives me an edge over these fools without tickets.
    For sure. You know, it's important to actually know what you're looking at

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner View Post
    For sure. You know, it's important to actually know what you're looking at
    Don't get me started lol

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I quit a job I had been at for 10 years over personalities. Hindsight it was a mistake but being insulted in front of our largest customers etc. was just too much for me to take after years of unprofessionalism and insults.

I did get a call back from the owner 7 years later desperate for me to come back and put in another 2 years before a snake in the grass let me go via PIP. Still a little bitter considering I trained my under paid replacement
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

15 years almost to the day working for FGL Sports. (SportChek). Last couple were brutal, as I was promised career advancement into management but found none.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I quit from Forzanis back in the day when they had a discount outlet in Deerfoot mall. When they built the new sport check, the new manager didn't really give me any shifts.
    Selling shoes at the discount outlet was fun-ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I quit from Forzanis back in the day when they had a discount outlet in Deerfoot mall. When they built the new sport check, the new manager didn't really give me any shifts.
    Selling shoes at the discount outlet was fun-ish.
    Dat Al Bundy lyfe.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

A little over 4 years, hit a ceiling as far as available roles for next steps, considering an industry change.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    A little over 4 years, hit a ceiling as far as available roles for next steps, considering an industry change.
    I hear that. The glass ceiling is real at work. For me, it took a complete role change to break through, and for the better. A lot of people say that they have to leave and come back a year or so later, and then for some weird reason things open up and better pay. I am just too chicken shit to do it.

Having said that, I know Speedy is bitter about TELUS, but, I have to say for the most part, I have found it pretty good. I have now been with the company going on 15 years, and don't regret it at all, and don't see myself going anywhere. Before TELUS, I bounced around a lot looking for a good fit, never staying in a company for more than a year.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Dang. Lots of ex-TELUS guys in here. I may be heading to TELUS, depending on what the job is (hasn't been set in stone yet)

Been in my industry for about 6 years. Spent 5 at the first company, got tired of the BS, and decided to follow one of the project managers. 8 months at the next, got offered a job with the government here, now I've been almost a year on "the other side." Doing work for the client is amazing. Being government has its upsides too.

My Ride
    Silverado

Nvm

10 years at Shanahan's (Now merged into Access SMT) - Commercial hardware sales. FIL was the branch manager, and they needed a guy good with computers since everyone in the office was 50+. Was great until the second set of equity partners bought the place and began to re-shuffle things. Almost walked out on a daily basis but held it together until I found a replacement. Now I'm at the City collecting that sweet sweet pension (and thank god job security). Still haven't used my degree, but maybe I can shift into the GIS/Planning department someday.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

My Ride
    Audi

6 years, 9 months at an integrated energy company in Calgary. I got regular promotions in pay right to when I quit (both during annual cycle and mid cycle as well). I had more responsibilities until 4th year, when I hit a wall. After that it was a revolving door of leadership above me - 5 different direct leaders in 2 years, at least 2 of them said to me when they quit that they "felt like they were keeping the seat warm for me and they kept deferring questions to me about managing the team, work plans, strategy, etc".

Took some time to rethink about what I wanted. Went to my director and said "I'm done with this team and now looking for my next job outside of it. You have 6 months - 1 year tops to knowledge transfer from me".

Best decision ever for 2 reasons:
    1) After I made it known within the org that I was looking for my next job, I had a few opportunities within the company from other depts. I had an opportunity to move laterally in Calgary, a promotion into another team in the GTA, and I was tapped on the shoulder to do the "tour of duty" in YMM.
    2) I had this opportunity out here in Victoria (posted on beyond asking about people for feedback about it). Said fuck it, thanked them for the opportunity in YMM, took the job in Victoria, and felt like I dodged the biggest bullet ever given what's happening in the energy sector right now.

Total time from when I told my director, to my last day at the company was 5 months, 3 weeks

My Ride
    Harley Nightster

A month and a half..
    Last edited by KO22; 11-24-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast