Quantcast
Longest time at a job before you quit (no package involved) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Longest time at a job before you quit (no package involved)

Default Longest time at a job before you quit (no package involved)

Might be a worthy discussion but then maybe not either - many people never ever quit a job, they'll ride out a crappy situation until a package arrives or be laid off permanently but there must be some out there who have actually quit a job with no package because their mental or physical well being was not worth the stress of staying at that company/job any longer.

I figured for the longest time that I'd be one that would never quit a job and yet I did just that after almost 26.5 years - funny thing is that I would've probably had stayed if it wasn't for my wonderful wife posing the question to me of whether or not I could stick around for another 10 years or so until retirement from that company. What had become the issue for me was stress at the workplace, I was completely happy with my last line of work there (engineering technician), worked with a great crew and had a great supervisor but I had come to hate the company. The incessant internal red tape I had to deal with on a daily basis and the ever growing lack of respect of every employee's value/contributions to the company was taking it's toll on me to the point that I would be pretty much throwing up before I went into work.

My wife's simple question hit me very hard and it took only a few hours one evening to make the decision to pull the plug after 26.5 years - no package, just 2 weeks notice, actually I gave them 3 weeks out of respect for my supervisor. Funny thing is my supervisor was not allowed to spend any company monies on a farewell event because I had resigned even though it was on good terms - it just wasn't on the company's terms. Never the less, the old guy dug some money out of a project and had a little going away event and he probably did that because he had come to despise the same company as well.

One thing is for sure, quitting opened up my eyes to all sorts of new opportunities (none related to the 26.5 career I had had) and much better pay checks as well - I have only worked for myself since leaving and in retrospect, probably should've been doing that all along. What was interesting is the number of funerals I went to in the first 5 years after I quit - people dying either within 2-3 years of retirement or 2-3 years after retirement and 13 years later, of the crew of 16 I was a part of when I quit, 6 are dead.

So what of some of you, have you ever quit a job and how long were you at that company? I'm not talking about those jobs when you were a teenager and didn't give a fuck but an actual job that you saw as a possible career. I'm also not talking about getting laid off or packaged out - you just quit without any sort of a golden handshake, left on your terms and not someone else's terms.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Many times - vertical and lateral moves within several industries (aviation, survey/land, IT) for various reasons. Longest place I was employed at was 4.5 years - good place too - but I have been contracting for 9 years now and would never have it any other way.

3 years, quit and moved to Calgary. Best decision of my life.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

First job out of school was 8 months, second was 11 months. When I started the third job I was worried about a pattern developing and decided to try to last 5 years. Made it to 5.5 years before switching again.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

4.5 years, was told on a Monday that I was “bringing down the team” and quit Tuesday morning. The “team” left pretty quickly after that and it’s been a revolving door there since.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

3.5 Years

The only way your comp / position ever gets better in Calgary is by leaving and getting a new job, I don’t think I’ve had a “raise” in 6 years.

The years of being a lifer are dead.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Accurate.

I've quite a few jobs. I guess my first professional job I quit about 1 year after my company was acquired, maybe 6 years in that company total.
    My "best" professional job probably would never have left, but again, company assets were sold, and I went with them, and didn't like the new company, quit about 9 months afer that, but was around 6 years total.
    Went into my highest base salary job, but that was the fall of 2014, and the oil ad gas downturn was starting, laid off 1 year and 2 weeks in (got me a hefty 3 weeks severance baby). Been a rollercoaster ever since.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

18 years.

I worked at one of the better companies in a shitty industry, and the first decade or so was awesome. There were only 7 of us, but we were a well oiled machine who got shit done.

Over the next five we got busier and busier, and overtime was every week (not an extra hour or two per day, but a full day or two per week, which translated to almost everyone working 400-500 OT hours a year), but management wouldn't let us hire anyone else. Then they finally relented, but my boss "couldn't find anyone" (he wasn't even trying). Then we got a contract that made our shiftwork go from shitty but tolerable to ridiculous, without even a penny increase in compensation.

I figured I'd give it a year to see where the cards fell, and started adjusting our finances to make sure I could take a lower wage for a better job. My boss did find two more people, but at that point we needed 4 more. Two out of the nine of us left around the same time. They replaced the two of us with 6. Within the last year, they've hired 8 more on top of that. A testament to how good of a group we had before all this.

They could have saved a lot of money by just keeping us happy, instead of needing the amount of people they have now. But some management can't see past their noses when it comes to long term planning.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

6-almost-7 years.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

3.5 Years

The only way your comp / position ever gets better in Calgary is by leaving and getting a new job, I don’t think I’ve had a “raise” in 6 years.

Kind of true. Been at my company for 5 years, had my salary increase 30% over that time (O&G). Although unless a management position magically appears im likely getting inflation type raises from here on out....

Also, my answer to the thread is also 5 years haha

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

9 years. My first job when I moved to Edmonton, then I kept moving up in positions to finally landing in Parts. Wanted to leave the first time I almost quit, they said they would come back at me with a salary increase, then what they gave me was a slap in the face so gave my 2 weeks and went to another company that gave me way more to start than what the salary increase was at the old place. Just funny how once your gone, they throw offers at you to come back. Nope.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    *The First*

I guess my answer would be just under two years?
    Explanation... Total was almost 9 years but it became a pretty embarrassing place after six years. Losing quite a lot in compensation about 7 years in plus the total lack of stability and terrible work environment meant I pulled the plug about 1.5 - 2 years after that.

My Ride
    Axis powers

My first ever job I worked at for 6 years until I realized it wasn't a career that I wanted to continue with, over the next few years it was a few jobs that always paid crappy before getting into my current profession, current company it'll be 8 years coming up soon
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Has wheels

7 years. Left a contractor to work on the client side.

My superintendent couldn't even be bothered to come see me during my last shift (7 days). Miss some of the people there but best move for me career wise.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Only counting after university:
    First job - 1.5 years
    Second job - 10 months
    Third job - 4.5 years
    Self employed the last 3 years

Overall happy with how my career has gone. Have yet to be laid off even through the downturns and each job change was a nice step up. I found within a job I rarely ever got much of a raise. Even when I got my P.Eng. the last company said that was included in my 2% inflation raise ... just not worth staying.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I didn't get a raise for my P. Eng. When I got it either. But in my current job it helps make me about 2% less likely to get laid off.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

P.Eng. Not even sure I opened the certificate when I got mine.

They are happy to send me a bigger bill every year since though as a happy acknowledgement.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    ... my P. Eng. ...
    Ah so that's how you managed to create the 'b' stickers
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

What you guys don't have yours framed sitting on your desk to look at all day? With a special pinky ring holder?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hah, I made someone else do that work.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast