Quantcast
Need Energy: Operator, Landman, Engineer(?) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Energy: Operator, Landman, Engineer(?)

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have a gander at some of the electrical generating systems already commercially availible for oil wells that have no pipeline. Lots of modular units available that just need a pipe to the wellhead.

Then you want your mining shit to be modular too, so if the well dies, you truck it 1 mile away and hook it all up to a new well.

However, my gut feel is that it's going to be vastly cheaper to just buy the gas, instead of owning the wells themselves.

Love the idea, anyone who wants to burn methane is a friend to me.
    Do you happen to have a line on some specific manufacturers?
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Have a gander at some of the electrical generating systems already commercially availible for oil wells that have no pipeline. Lots of modular units available that just need a pipe to the wellhead.

Then you want your mining shit to be modular too, so if the well dies, you truck it 1 mile away and hook it all up to a new well.

However, my gut feel is that it's going to be vastly cheaper to just buy the gas, instead of owning the wells themselves.

He needs a million a day of gas if I read correctly, no one is giving million a day gas wells for free. Probably going to cost at least a million bucks just to buy that production.

So he needs a small field of wells, with pipelines and field processing metering operators the whole shabang.

You need to cut the owning wells out of this and instead partner with an existing Company to sell you some of their gas.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This would need a roof:
    Name:  Screenshot_20201120-094843.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  35.7 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Burning methane is wicked. Everyone should burn more methane. It's the only way to save humanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

He needs a million a day of gas if I read correctly, no one is giving million a day gas wells for free. Probably going to cost at least a million bucks just to buy that production.

So he needs a small field of wells, with pipelines and field processing metering operators the whole shabang.

You need to cut the owning wells out of this and instead partner with an existing Company to sell you some of their gas.
    The sticker value of $1mil sounds about right. No matter how you slice it, $1mil/MW seems to be the floor for most forms of energy generation.

Your last comment of 'existing Company to sell you some of their gas' is pretty much what I've been angling for. I am not sure how to start these discussions. Hard example: the company directory of any given O&G Company can be quite extensive. Which department would we look to speak to? Or does there exist some kind of Kijiji for gas.
    Last edited by themack89; 11-20-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    Family Hauler

You're gonna be looking at around a million bucks at least to get a generator bought and installed, and thats on the low end. Now add in your gas costs, field maintenance, contract operators, i mean even for 10 wells its probably half a million a year in OPEX at least

Like Killramos said you definitely aren't getting 1mmscfd well for free, and if you buy a bunch of old shitty ones your costs to maintain will be through the roof, let alone liability since they aren't worth much if you go under.

You'd think a place like AB with all our gas would be a paradise for people wanting to own a few wells here and there and try different things.... it probably was at one point but too many people declared bankruptcy and left the orphan well fund cleaning messes up so here we are.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you willing to pay full price for their gas? Thats the big question.

You could always contact a gas marketing firm like Tenaska or similar. Im not sure their inner workings but they market gas from tons of clients

My Ride
    *The First*

This is a way way better idea. Now you're opening the door to burning "solution gas" from conventional drillers and frac'ers. Solution gas is killing them, so your gas will be nearly free but getting everything modularized and finding 1MM SCF/day might be the new challenge.

I wish I knew how sensitive gas turbines are to variable feeds. My gut says "very sensitive" but I don't know.

I'm not the right guy to call. I'd keep this open to help you narrow down your options. Right now you're "I want to make money with gas and electricity and Bitcoin". You need that narrowed down to "I want to take gas from this named facility and generate this much power to supply this modular facility. Please tell me if it's feasible." Once you're there, you can find some nerd engineers to do a Pre-FEED or feasibility study for you. That should hopefully be less than $100k. Fuck bringing someone in. Just pay engineers on contract.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Call a midstream company and ask about bulk natural gas for an industrial project. Maybe Altagas.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The generator companies have done a lot of work on fuel gas quality specs that they will give you for free. Don't pay an engineer for that shit. Hell, you don't need an engineer at all for a long time.
    Talk to finning and agrekko about the generator options and specs.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming you can put the mining gear in a seacan, this is not actually that complicated from a technical perspective . It's plugging a few already designed systems together.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

This sounds completely nuts but I did a initial study for a large hedge fund company regarding solar powered BTC/crypto mining setup around the lethbridge area (MH would be good too) - if you were to combine both natgas and solar, it could be viable for far longer.

No need for a large battery system to handle the night time loads that way - natgas at night and combination solar/natgas during the day as needed.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

This would need a roof:
    Name:  Screenshot_20201120-094843.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  35.7 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Burning methane is wicked. Everyone should burn more methane. It's the only way to save humanity.
    i don't know if this helps, but the last 100kw arrow we put on a site cost $68k.. Just for the Gen

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I'm sure the City of Medicine Hat would be pretty receptive to any talk of buying gas from them right now. As far as who to talk to, I don't know. Call the mayor.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    *The First*

The generator companies have done a lot of work on fuel gas quality specs that they will give you for free. Don't pay an engineer for that shit. Hell, you don't need an engineer at all for a long time.
    Talk to finning and agrekko about the generator options and specs.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming you can put the mining gear in a seacan, this is not actually that complicated from a technical perspective . It's plugging a few already designed systems together.
    Yep, this. Fuck a gas turbine, you need piston power. Aggreko, Collicut, Caterpillar, all offer skidded, modularized solutions.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Yep, this. Fuck a gas turbine, you need piston power. Aggreko, Collicutt, Caterpillar, all offer skidded, modularized solutions.
    I'm good buddies with the Calgary side of the Collicutt family and can put you in contact with them to get an idea on equipment. PM'ed
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Well with the few replies that I have received, this is more than enough to chew on for the time being. I appreciate the rich insight from everybody.

I'm just going to reiterate that if you feel like you could play a key part in getting this project sorted out, and you would like a slice of pie, send me a PM. My philosophy is: the more smart guys you have working on the same problem, especially in this energy rich province, the greater the chances of success and avoiding pitfalls.

Eyes are wide open at the moment.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

You need to think outside Alberta. You’d have some competition, but check out the conventional dying wells just east of Lloyd instead.

Those are the we need to get rid of casing gas to keep producing wells. Might be clean enough to burn without processing.

https://www.upstreamdata.ca/
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Hi guys,

Just an update on this. Actually went and did it. Still waiting on the Turbine guys to fix some of their electrical issues before we can fire up. 1% Sour. Fingers crossed.

Will come back to post again once it's purring.

https://imgur.com/a/oMglqId

Got another 1.5 MW of load to deploy, containers being built. Looking for gas + gen.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by themack89 View Post
    Hi guys,

Just an update on this. Actually went and did it. Still waiting on the Turbine guys to fix some of their electrical issues before we can fire up. 1% Sour. Fingers crossed.

Will come back to post again once it's purring.

https://imgur.com/a/oMglqId

Got another 1.5 MW of load to deploy, containers being built. Looking for gas + gen.
    very cool

what sort of generator did you go with?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Neato. As I said anyone burning methane is a friend to me.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 06-08-2021 at 10:01 PM.

My Ride
    *The First*

This is something.

Impressive dude. Respect for getting this going against the odds. Good luck with the next steps and keep us posted!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast