Quantcast
Car audio help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Car audio help

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Default Car audio help

So my 2007 Audi has a blown speaker in the rear, it has the bose system. i have no issues replacing the speakers, my question is what brand to go with for replacement. I have not touched car audio speakers in 20 years, i did upgrade the double din to a pioneer headunit with apple carplay.

can i avoid getting a amp??
    which brand to go with??

budget..... I don't know $1000-1500???

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Do you know how to check the Ohm rating of the non blown speaker in the back shelf? It's ohm rating will be a big deciding factor in terms of what speakers I would recommend. My old car had 3 ohm speakers. To create the same load I had to use a 1 ohm resistor, to create a typical 4 ohm (industry wide) load.

Hertz makes exceptional speakers, same with Diamond audio or OZ audio. It all depends on the size of the speaker, mounting holes and the ohm rating. If possible remove the blown speaker, take a pic of it and I can help you from there.

$100-1500 is outrageous. Unless you want to go with the highest end speakers, you should be good to go for under $400 easily, for a pair of speakers. You can amp them if you like, but potentially not needed in this application. An amp would add a fair bit to the cost, as you then have the install, and whatever interface is required to make the amp interact with the factory head unit.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 05-08-2021 at 10:43 AM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

i wasn't going to remove it right away but might have to. It seems from reading that the headunit powers the fronts and the bose amp powers the back. i'll keep digging to find out. the blown speaker is in the rear door, i was going to just replace all door speakers, i have a little sub in the rear deck that is fine for now i may upgrade depending how reacts with the speakers.

My Ride
    *The First*

Bose car audio is a disaster and like the other guy said, their speakers are often a stupid impedance that's incompatible with everything.
    Best of luck. It's not insurmountable, but it might be worth considering gutting everything to get a much better system.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I've got no complaints about the bose, it does a decent job. Although the fender setup in my golf alltrack is much better.

I feel like i'll do a full redo now that i'm looking it up more, seems like the best move and then i can avoid dealing with the bose amp. Might have to save it till winter though as the car is only a on the road in the summer.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've got no complaints about the bose, it does a decent job. Although the fender setup in my golf alltrack is much better.

I feel like i'll do a full redo now that i'm looking it up more, seems like the best move and then i can avoid dealing with the bose amp. Might have to save it till winter though as the car is only a on the road in the summer.
    Be warned the Bose sytems can tie into a lot of different things and may not be so simple to just remove. In my truck the audio cues for open doors and such goes through that system.

My Ride

^ this.

Get back to us when it comes to you finding out your speaker ohm rating. As well as, since it's blown, may as well take it out now. Take pics of it. I can't really offer you much help until you do. Digital Designs has been my go to for 20 years now. One of the extremely few companies where everything is *ACTUALLY* still made in the USA. Digital Deisgns, or DD for short, like Hertz offers lots of different ranges and models of drivers, depending on your price point. However there are many, many brands that offer absolutely stellar speakers that would work very well for you.

Some more info would really help us, to help you.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Name:  FFAE7AE3-2F86-477E-B732-246958BAB79B.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  102.3 KBName:  F58A3337-C4A5-4528-AE7A-F5A443013EA7.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  134.8 KB

Took the front and back just off and they both appear to be 4 ohm. The green is the rear a little hard to read but that’s them.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

4 ohm will be easy to replace as that is what a lot of choices are.

My Ride

4 ohm is very very easy to find damn near all after market car audio full range speakers are 4 ohm, it's the mounting bolt pattern I am unsure of. Looks to be a mounting screw at every 120 degrees of rotation.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Am I likely to see a decent sound improvement by replacing the 6.5 as well with out a amp, considering the bose amp in still in play.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Am I likely to see a decent sound improvement by replacing the 6.5 as well with out a amp, considering the bose amp in still in play.
    Yes. I replaced the factory Harmon Kardon speakers in my Buick with some (high end, but not the "Mille" 's) Hertz ones, and wow night and day. Haven't even amped them yet.

Does that say Made in Hungary?? Haha, didn't think anything was made there except Pálinka and Rubix Cubes.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

They're makin me Hungary.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

So Hertz doesn't suck? Are Rockford Fosgate better or worse?

I found out the stock F150 speakers cost $8 US. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I found out the stock F150 speakers cost $8 US. lol.
    Free at pick n pull if it fits in your overalls.