Quantcast
spikerS builds a new PC - input and opinions requested. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: spikerS builds a new PC - input and opinions requested.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default spikerS builds a new PC - input and opinions requested.

Hey guys! So rather than trying to salvage something together, as some may have noticed, I have decided to just build something new. Problem is, I have been out of the PC game for so long, most of my knowledge does not even begin to apply in today's world so I am hoping to bounce ideas off you all, and avoid pitfalls by learning from your experiences. I know there are some VERY knowledgable people on here, and I am hoping to tap that brain trust.

So here we go.

I am picking things up piecemeal, part by part with the intention of having all the parts I need by the end of February, middle of March at the latest. I figure that if I can spread out the financial burden over a bit longer, I can get some better parts. I have already picked up my new case, a Lian Li 011D XL in white from Memory Express. I chose this case as I think it will be pretty future proof, has an insane amount of interior room for larger parts and lots of space and options for cooling. In checking out resources on YouTube like GN, Jayz, and others, whether they like the case personally or not, they all gave it really good reviews and it seems to be one of the best cases on the market right now. So this will be the build platform I will be using.

Things I will be doing with the PC are:
    Web browsing
    Gaming
    Streaming
    watching videos
    Minecraft server
    and maybe even acting as a media server, although, this priority is at the bottom of the list.

What we want:
    We are magpies. We are absolute suckers for shiny things. We want that bling. We want addressable RGB lighting on the Ram, fans, etc... While we are not hardcore gamers, having good performance is key. The ability to stream and game all while having the kids minecraft server running in the background 24/7 is pretty much top of the list. The minecraft server will always be running for my kids and their friends, so no matter what I am doing at any given time, that will also be running.

Parts I am considering right now are:
    Power supply - Corsair HX1000 - 1000 watt I think will be plenty to power everything I was envisioning. I was originally going to do a 750w, but thinking about future proofing, decided a 1000w would be better. Trying to decided if I really care about the 80 standard thing. This is something new to me and I don't fully understand. This PS is a platinum rating which is good, but I am wondering if I should save ~$50 and just get the gold rating. Is this rating a big deal?

Cooling. I am wanting to fully watercool everything, but, as to do this would require a large investment, I have decided to delay most of it, and just do an AIO to start. I forgot to mention at the start that the kids and I all like bling and we want to incorporate some flashy stuff and RGB. The purists are all cringing, I know, and I am too but only a little lol. The AIO I think I want to play with is the NZXT Kraken Z73, or Z63. The little LCD screen on the AIO head is awesome, and I love me a cool gimmick. Also, being able to see the CPU temp at a glance is a big plus to me. I do have an irrational and OCD fear of high temps, so being able to monitor it is a big plus to me. Which one I get will be determined by which CPU is decided upon.

Motherboard and CPU. This is wildly open and up in the air right now. I was thinking about doing an Intel build, but after seeing some videos on GN and Jayz channels, the new AMD lineup seems to be the biggest and baddest bully on the playground right now. Even the "budget" 5600 is slapping the top teir Intel chip. I may not be refrencing the model numbers right, but, those of you who know things will know. HAHA. I am wide open to suggestions on this combo.

Ram. - Ram has always stummped me. I don't understand it at all. I mean, i know what it does, but that is it. What all the different numbers mean or indicated is greek to me. I do know that it will be dependent on which mobo and CPU is picked, so this will probably be the last thing I grab.

Storage - I will be going the NVME route for the OS, so probably just a 500gb stick, and then something like a 1TB SSD for storage.

Video card - This one I have "some" idea on. I don't think I need the biggest, baddest beast on the block. So I think things like the 3080 are not in contention here. I am thinking more in the 3060 range. something in the $5-$600 range. Open to ideas on this. Something that can be water cooled in the future fairly easily. It may not "need" to be, but, it is something I want to do later.

So this is where I am at. I will be buying the PS next week, and the AIO shortly after. Once the MOBO and CPU are sorted out, I will buy the ram, and lastly, the Mobo/CPU/video card will all be purchased together and then the build can commence. I am really hoping that by the end of February a lot of the supply issues will be sorted and I can get what I want.

Anyways, these are my ideas. Please help me and collaborate with me to find a system build that suits me!

TIA!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I currently have a 3800x in my PC and i am absolutely thrilled with the performance. The 5xxx series from AMD will be even better. Definitely consider the R5 or R7. The R5 seems to be the best performance per dollar you can get these days, unless you need the extra horsepower, but it doesn't look like you're depending on it much from a productivity standpoint.

For video I would REALLLLLLY consider looking at the new AMD cards coming out. for a little bit more than a 3060, you can get a 6800 xt, which contends with the higher end 3080. definitely a consideration.

RAM, you can kinda choose your poison. Only thing to keep in mind, the AMD chips LOVE high clock speeds for RAM, so faster, the better.

Mobo I am currently using an MSI board. X570 chipset. No complaints.

My Ride
    changes every year

I have no input, and im not a gamer really, but I gotta ask, minecraft server? I dont get it, explain please lol

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I would say don't bother with AIO. A Noctua HSF is going to perform better and quieter than most AIO's (that will eventually fail if you run your system 24/7 due to their closed loop/evaporating nature).

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no input, and im not a gamer really, but I gotta ask, minecraft server? I dont get it, explain please lol
    The way the kids currently game, they all have to connect to one person's device to play together. The problem is, if that one person isn't around and playing that day, they have to do the process over again and connect to another person's game, and start a whole new world. Anything that they were working on is now lost, so it gets frustrating for them.

If I start up this minecraft server, they can all connect to it, it is always on, and they can play anytime they want, and it is always the same world and none of their progress or builds are lost.

Minecraft has something similar already on offer called "realms" for a $12 monthly fee, but, if I can do it for free, why not?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    I would say don't bother with AIO. A Noctua HSF is going to perform better and quieter than most AIO's (that will eventually fail if you run your system 24/7 due to their closed loop/evaporating nature).
    You missed my magpie reference and needing bling. suggestion ignored LOL.

In all seriousness, I know about the HSF, but, the AIO by NZXT is pretty much set in stone for me. I know it will eventually fail, but I am ok with 2 year life span on it. I will have switched over to a fully watercooled setup by then. Also, by sticking with the AIO, I don't have to worry about the HSF interfering with the ram
    Last edited by spikerS; 11-22-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Whats the overall budget? That's a goood place to start.

This would be a good setup. Replace the 2060 with a 3060 TI when it comes out December 2nd. Someone will say get a X570 board and a NVMe pci 4.0 drive but it's pretty minimal gains. If you have extra room the budget just upgrade the CPU to a 5800x instead rather than Mobo or SSD upgrades. Lots of great sales until the 26th, might be worth buying now and then returning if better deals pop up black friday.

Edit: Saw the RGB ram note, the GSkill neo's are the same ram but with LEDs, can swap to those. Find some that are 3600mhz.

Last edited by pheoxs; 11-22-2020 at 07:45 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Whats the overall budget? That's a goood place to start.

This would be a good setup. Replace the 2060 with a 3060 TI when it comes out December 2nd. Someone will say get a X570 board and a NVMe pci 4.0 drive but it's pretty minimal gains. If you have extra room the budget just upgrade the CPU to a 5800x instead rather than Mobo or SSD upgrades. Lots of great sales until the 26th, might be worth buying now and then returning if better deals pop up black friday.

Edit: Saw the RGB ram note, the GSkill neo's are the same ram but with LEDs, can swap to those. Find some that are 3600mhz.

I think that is a good starting point for sure. I want RGB ram though lol.

RGB ALL THE THINGS!

As for the budget, within reason. I am not willing to spend $1000+ on a CPU or graphics card, but, $5-600 each is reasonable for sure
    Last edited by spikerS; 11-22-2020 at 07:56 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    RGB ALL THE THINGS!
    Yup.

Name:  BD48649A-BF96-4280-B54C-578D0F5FB600.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  42.3 KB

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Yup.

Name:  BD48649A-BF96-4280-B54C-578D0F5FB600.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  42.3 KB
    nice!

This is more my end goal for mine.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

SO....this is kinda what I have picked out now...

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4HnH3Z

List is subject to change, and I am open to suggestions. Is there a good MB option out there that won't have this issue? The current mobo option gives me this warning on part picker.
    Note:Lian Li O11D XL-W ATX Full Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port, but the Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port will not be usable.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

1000w PSU is crazy overkill. Use this to gauge what you really need or may need in the future: https://www.newegg.ca/tools/power-supply-calculator/
    I also think your CPU cooler is crazy overkill too.
    Last edited by tcon; 11-23-2020 at 02:01 AM.

My Ride
    TypeR

List is subject to change, and I am open to suggestions. Is there a good MB option out there that won't have this issue? The current mobo option gives me this warning on part picker.
    Note:Lian Li O11D XL-W ATX Full Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port, but the Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port will not be usable.
    Even for me im running a pretty baller mobo and I dont have enought headers to run all the usb 3.0.

My advice is to go minimum 3070 to future proof yourself. The new cod owns my 2080ti if all setting are maxed out 1440p (120fps)and I have a big overclock. Games are only gonna get crazier

The build I made is basically what your after minus custom loop
    https://pcpartpicker.com/b/VLb8TW

Edit: Also that cooler your after is pretty sick but if your budget is tight make sure to spend more on the big stuff as you can always grab it after. 380 on a cooler can put you at a way better level for your cpu or gpu
    Last edited by scboss; 11-23-2020 at 02:37 AM.
    IG:scboss

My Ride
    Silverado

Seems like a good idea to skip the aio for now if you're going to do a custom loop in the future, heck the stock cooler might get you by until you're ready to drop money into that

I would get rid of that $350 AIO and buy a Noctua NH-D15 unless you're doing it for aesthetics. Unless you are doing some crazy overclocking, you don't need a 360mm AIO. Also keep in mind overclocking Ryzen CPUs on all cores will reduce your single core boost clock considerably, the sole exception being if you buy a $500 Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero mobo. Good cooling is still important as Ryzen's boost clocks are dynamic based on temperature.

I would swap the mobo for this: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77776 or this: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00112492

You don't need anywhere near 1000W, I'd swap the PSU for this or similar: https://www.vuugo.com/evga-power-sup...=5108053939762

That RAM looks good on a budget.

That GPU is a bit weak but I don't think you mentioned what game, FPS, and settings you would like to play at. I would take the ~$300 you save on the AIO and PSU and put it into a better GPU.

The compatibility warning you are seeing is because no motherboard can run Ryzen 5000 right now without AGESA 1.0.8.1, so you will need to flash the bios before you install a 5000 series CPU. If Memory Express is building this for you, it's not an issue. If you're building it yourself, you either need a 3000 series or older AM4 CPU to temporarily install, or you need a mobo with a BIOS flashback feature that lets you update the BIOS via USB with no hardware installed.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-23-2020 at 10:10 AM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I would get rid of that $350 AIO and buy a Noctua NH-D15 unless you're doing it for aesthetics. Unless you are doing some crazy overclocking, you don't need a 360mm AIO. Also keep in mind overclocking Ryzen CPUs on all cores will reduce your single core boost clock considerably, the sole exception being if you buy a $500 Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero mobo. Good cooling is still important as Ryzen's boost clocks are dynamic based on temperature.

I would swap the mobo for this: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77776 or this: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00112492

You don't need anywhere near 1000W, I'd swap the PSU for this or similar: https://www.vuugo.com/evga-power-sup...=5108053939762

That RAM looks good on a budget.

That GPU is a bit weak but I don't think you mentioned what game, FPS, and settings you would like to play at. I would take the ~$300 you save on the AIO and PSU and put it into a better GPU.

The compatibility warning you are seeing is because no motherboard can run Ryzen 5000 right now without AGESA 1.0.8.1, so you will need to flash the bios before you install a 5000 series CPU. If Memory Express is building this for you, it's not an issue. If you're building it yourself, you either need a 3000 series or older AM4 CPU to temporarily install, or you need a mobo with a BIOS flashback feature that lets you update the BIOS via USB with no hardware installed.
    You guys keep forgetting the Magpie factor here. The AIO is SHINEY! I want it. the only debate here is do I just do a z73 or Z63. I chose the Z73 as I think the Z73 would fill the space out nicer than the Z63.

I don't want ME or anyone to build this for me. I really enjoyed building custom CPUs in my younger years and want that experience again, so I want to do everything. Even flashing the BIOS.

I am happy to upgrade the RAM to something more suitable. My budget is somewhat flexible, so, I am happy to bump it up.

I have no problem dropping the PSU down, I just figured bigger was better. if a 750w gold 80+ rating is good for this build, then I am happy to do that.
    @Mitsu3000gt is it worth getting that Asus X570 mobo? I have no problem going to it. I want a solid 7/10 gaming system overall. I want to be able to play any game I want to on high settings. Maybe not "ultra high" but high. I am tired of playing basic games with all the settings on low because that's what my laptop can handle lol. I have been doing that for years and it sucks.

I think I am happy to wait until the 3070 GPU drops on the 2nd, and build with that. I am seeing that it gets really similar specs to the 2080 TI and a significantly lower price point. If true, I am pretty happy with that unless there is a better offering at a similar price point.

The warning I was getting from part picker wasnt about the bios that I was worried about, but, rather the warning that there wasn't enough headers to power all the USB ports on the front of my case.
    Last edited by spikerS; 11-23-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

So, this is where i am kinda at now....

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FMH3RT
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

You guys keep forgetting the Magpie factor here. The AIO is SHINEY! I want it. the only debate here is do I just do a z73 or Z63. I chose the Z73 as I think the Z73 would fill the space out nicer than the Z63.

I don't want ME or anyone to build this for me. I really enjoyed building custom CPUs in my younger years and want that experience again, so I want to do everything. Even flashing the BIOS.

I am happy to upgrade the RAM to something more suitable. My budget is somewhat flexible, so, I am happy to bump it up.

I have no problem dropping the PSU down, I just figured bigger was better. if a 750w gold 80+ rating is good for this build, then I am happy to do that.
    @Mitsu3000gt is it worth getting that Asus X570 mobo? I have no problem going to it. I want a solid 7/10 gaming system overall. I want to be able to play any game I want to on high settings. Maybe not "ultra high" but high. I am tired of playing basic games with all the settings on low because that's what my laptop can handle lol. I have been doing that for years and it sucks.

I think I am happy to wait until the 3070 GPU drops on the 2nd, and build with that. I am seeing that it gets really similar specs to the 2080 TI and a significantly lower price point. If true, I am pretty happy with that unless there is a better offering at a similar price point.

The warning I was getting from part picker wasnt about the bios that I was worried about, but, rather the warning that there wasn't enough headers to power all the USB ports on the front of my case.
    Haha well if the cooler is just for aesthetics, buy whatever you want, but AIOs are more trouble than they're worth IMO unless you are doing heavy overclocking or need more room in the case. They are expensive, not ideal for systems you are going to keep a long time or run 24/7, and a good air cooler will perform similarly to a 240-280mm AIO which is more than enough for most setups. If you just want it though, nothing wrong with that.

If you're building it yourself you will either need to buy a mobo that supports BIOS flashback (the Gigabyte one does (Q-Flash), the Asus one I linked does not), or you will need to borrow a Ryzen 3000 series CPU or lower just to update the BIOS, then you can swap back to your Ryzen 5000 series.

I would get an X570 board because the price difference is hardly anything compared to similar B550 boards and you get better PCI 4.0, M.2 and USB support etc. Might as well go with the flagship chipset when there is such a small price difference. Often there is only $20-30 separating X570 and B550 boards so I don't really see the point in getting one for the average build. It's not going to affect your gaming performance or anything but you will have more options down the road.

That RAM is good but it has slower sub-timings (16-19-19-39). They make that same kit in 16-16-16-36 which gets you slightly faster RAM and Samsung b-die modules (best) which will let you OC easily, if you're into that. This is the "step up" kit to what you currently have selected but it's 50% more for only a small performance bump. I'd probably put this money into the GPU if you are already getting a 3600 CL16 kit, but if you want this is the kit I bought: https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-2...pRoD0yJfdHpScw

With PSUs bigger is actually not always better, the reason being PSUs are designed to be efficient within a certain load range - if you are too far above or below that, you are worse off. Something in the 750W range will be more than enough, probably even 650W would be fine. Get a quality PSU, something from Seasonic or EVGA with a 10 year warranty like a Seasonic Prime or EVGA G3 series. Good PSUs also usually perform above their Silver/Gold ratings anyway, so don't focus on those ratings too much and just get a good quality PSU.

I think either an Nvidia 3070 or Radeon 6800 would be a great choice for a GPU assuming you are OK with 1440P medium settings or lower, assuming you want 144Hz/FPS in a decent number of games.

As for the USB case compatibility issue, X570 boards have better USB support so you might have more luck there but I don't know off the top of my head so I'd have to look it up. You can buy things like this but I am not sure it solves your problem: https://www.newegg.ca/p/0J2-00G2-000...9180-_-Product

Also if you're building this all yourself, get a tube of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste for the CPU.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-23-2020 at 03:32 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

yeah, I was surprised to see B550 over X570 given the price difference.

My Ride
    Silverado

you sure that something like the AMD Wraith doesn't have enough RGB for your setup? Until you do the custom loop.

or this coolermaster with rgb fans?
    https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog...black-edition/

Anyways jealous of your setup.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast