Quantcast
Kitchen Knives - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Knives

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Default Kitchen Knives

There's probably an old thread somewhere, but I couldn't find it...

I'm looking for one or two, mostly all purpose knives for the kitchen for Christmas. Mostly for cutting vegetables and cooked meat. Trying to keep the price around $200 and hoping to order online. Any recommendations?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Japanese? Western? Carbon steel? Do you put your knives in the dishwasher like a dork? If unsure, buy a Chinese cleaver. It's good for everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I've had my 5 star Henkel from when I was a student at SAIT PCK program in 2000s. Still using now. 8" Chefs knife and a pairing knife should do you good for most duties. Henkel, Global, Wusthoff are all good brands.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 11-24-2020 at 07:07 AM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I can't decide between a santoku and western chefs knife shapes, so I have both. Now that I've been using both for years, I still don't know which I prefer. Either way, keeping a good knife sharp is the most important tip. Have a pro sharpen it once a year, and you touch it up weekly or monthly.

Easiest is to just go to a real knife store, like knifewear in Ingelwood, and they them guide you. the big box stores or online purchases you have a 50/50 chance of buying total junk, even from reputable brands. The "good" brands figured out that market and sell high volume low quality all day. Henkel and Wusthof are good examples, they make great knives, but also lots of not-great.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

I have found this site to be relatively fair in pricing. They sell Misono, which are pretty good low maintenance Japanese knives. I own a bunch of Japanese knives, which have replaced all my Western knives for a few years. The higher end Wusthof and Henkels are good but I prefer the balance of the Japanese knives. The Santoku and mini paring knife sized Petty-Santoku are the two that I use the most. Global is very good but can be slippery. Shun is an decent mass produced brand.

Also budget in some money for a ceramic honing rod.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

I bought this $35 finetool knife from amazon, it's been pretty good so far for the price

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Japanese? Western? Carbon steel? Do you put your knives in the dishwasher like a dork? If unsure, buy a Chinese cleaver. It's good for everything.
    Agreed to all this. Knifewear if you want something locally. Santoku (sp?) is a chef knife length and a great starter

Various knives have different grips and that’ll be one of your deciding factors. I prefer the smooth handles while my father prefers the rigid, hexagon shaped handles
    Last edited by flipstah; 11-24-2020 at 09:47 AM.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

There is a bit more maintenance you have to do with carbon steel knives but I find it much easier to sharpen those myself. I might not be able to sharpen it as well as Knifewear but I can get it close enough. I find stainless steel knives a bit harder to get a good edge on at home.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BigDL View Post
    There is a bit more maintenance you have to do with carbon steel knives but I find it much easier to sharpen those myself. I might not be able to sharpen it as well as Knifewear but I can get it close enough. I find stainless steel knives a bit harder to get a good edge on at home.
    That's the way to go. 2 good stones + 1 ceramic honing rod.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

My wife and I were going to do a couple of good quality knives for eachother for Christmas as we've been living that Kitchenaid knife block life for several years. This thread was great timing.

Say we had no real preference for Western Vs Japanese but wanted as low maintenance as possible outside of quick touch-ups and a professional sharpening once a year. What would be the brand, style or metallurgy we should be looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride

Knifewear is doing a fall garage sale. My friends have picked up some good knives at a discount there.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    My wife and I were going to do a couple of good quality knives for eachother for Christmas as we've been living that Kitchenaid knife block life for several years. This thread was great timing.

Say we had no real preference for Western Vs Japanese but wanted as low maintenance as possible outside of quick touch-ups and a professional sharpening once a year. What would be the brand, style or metallurgy we should be looking at?
    For low maintenance, you want to stay away from Carbon steel as it rusts (but can develop a cool patina). The thing is, it's not really that much more maintenance. You simply need to wash/wipe it shortly after using. Carbon steel is harder so it should keep its edge longer. Despite being stronger, don't use any of these expensive knives for bones. VG10 stainless steel is a good starter.

The question between Western Vs Japanese is a personal preference. Japanese knives have a steeper angle, making the sharper but also more brittle. I will take that tradeoff anyday.

You basically need 2 main knives: An all-purpose and a smaller all purpose. With Western Knives, you are looking at a Chef's Knife and a Paring Knife. With Japanese, you are looking at a Santoku and a Petty. The Japanese version of the Chef's Knife is called a Gyuto. A 240mm doubles as a long slicer but is too long for day to day use so most people opt for a 210mm. I prefer slightly shorter. The Gyuto/Chef's Knife has more of a curve, which is good for meat slicing; while the Santoku is flatter, which is better for vegetables. I have all of them but reach for the Japanese versions way more.

Beyond the 2 knives, you can pick up a ceramic honing rod (knifewear gives you 50% off when you buy a knife), an el cheapo boning knife, a serrated bread knife, a Nakiri, and a long slicer. Picking up a couple of good sharpening stones is a good idea. I only sharpen my fleet twice a year, so these stones will last for decades. If you take care of your knives, they will last long enough to hand down to your kids.

Other than the above, you are paying for craftsmanship, aesthetics, and balance. Knifewear is great for letting you test out the knives. You can also get a single bevel, which marginally improves the cut, but I wouldn't recommend it for most people.

One of my favourites is Fujiwara with the finger notch like this one: https://knifewear.com/products/fujiw...ant=5581236292
    Great edge retention, balance, and super sharp. I think you might still be able to order them directly from Japan.

Edit: Found the site: https://www.teruyasu.net/products/ja...maboroshi.html Free name engraving.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 11-24-2020 at 12:32 PM.

My Ride

If anyone wants a decent but inexpensive chef's knife, I have a Zwilling Pro 7" that was used maybe 30 times and has been hand sharpened once. I will toss in a Messermeister sleeve so you don't kill yourself on the way out. $40? One of mum's pet peeves is cleaning up dead bodies on the porch.

Name:  addsa.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  72.2 KB

https://www.zwilling.com/ca/zwilling...archsuggestion
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 11-24-2020 at 12:26 PM.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post

Edit: Found the site: https://www.teruyasu.net/products/ja...maboroshi.html Free name engraving.

Ooh, I think I know what my next purchase may be

My Ride

This antler grip knife is savage. https://www.teruyasu.net/products/detail_50.html

Ive always been too cheap to buy a good knife but i ended up getting a Shun sora 8" for about $140 and its been an amazing knife. They offer free sharpening too but ive never sent it in yet. I bought one of those pull style sharpeners and thats working so far but its due for a proper sharpen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Ive always been too cheap to buy a good knife but i ended up getting a Shun sora 8" for about $140 and its been an amazing knife. They offer free sharpening too but ive never sent it in yet. I bought one of those pull style sharpeners and thats working so far but its due for a proper sharpen.
    Better to get knifewear sharpen it than send it in. I think it's around $15. They do a good job and can probably do better than the factory edge. The pull style sharpeners aren't good for the edges and I believe that it dulls your knife faster.

Another thing to consider for the OP is a good chopping board. A soft wood works well. I saw the Hinoki boards at Williams Sonoma on sale a few days ago. Zwilling.ca sometimes have good deals and you can find a basic Boos Board at Wholesale Club and Costco sometimes.

I know nothing about knives, but i received a Cutco Shantoku Trimming Knife as a gift from my mortgage broker and it's amazing especially since i had only used a Canadian Tire $150 knife block set before. I would recommend the brand just based on that, but I feel like Cutco is probably like the Monster Cables of the knife world so shame away if true lol.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I know nothing about knives, but i received a Cutco Shantoku Trimming Knife as a gift from my mortgage broker and it's amazing especially since i had only used a Canadian Tire $150 knife block set before. I would recommend the brand just based on that, but I feel like Cutco is probably like the Monster Cables of the knife world so shame away if true lol.
    Cutco's actually not that bad considering the price.

My Ride
    M3P

I'm looking for an all around "Chef's" knife for a gift. Max I am wanting to spend is ~$100CAD

The following come well reviewed but I am open for suggestions

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000638D32/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002R1CGV6/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast