Quantcast
What Would Beyond Do - Small Business & Canceled Class? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Would Beyond Do - Small Business & Canceled Class?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Default What Would Beyond Do - Small Business & Canceled Class?

A few months ago I booked my wife some sort of craft class with her sister as being on mat leave in the middle of a pandemic has not been good for her mental health. At the time of the booking things were looking positive for Alberta and given some pretty strict rules listed on the organizers website it looked like it could be done safely. Masks were were required, class size was limited (so price was higher) to accommodate social distancing, etc. Obviously since that time things have changed pretty drastically and to no ones surprise the class is now canceled. The event organizer sent out an email this morning with a few different options on what we can do.

These are the options:
    1. You get the kit of all the materials and you can watch her make the item on you tube. Full price still stands
    2. Get the kit and do a zoom workshop. Full price still stands
    3. Receive a 50% refund as she just bought all the materials for it
    4. Receive a credit note for future in person or online courses for your full dollar value.

To put some things in context the tickets were around $100 each and about 50% of the materials involve live plants where the other 50% isn't and can be kept for future classes or resold. I would prefer to just get a full 100% refund as we did not cancel but I get that she is a small business (as am I) and the impact of that will hit her harder than a large company. I guess I personally would handle this differently knowing possible restrictions were looming and in my business I would probably just eat the sunken costs if someone wanted a refund but I know everyone is not like me. Alternatively, $100 for a DIY kit you do at your house also seems really steep considering there is no longer a space that needs to be rented nor the need for increased cost to make up for reduced course size.

So I'm kind of stuck. I'm trying not to be an asshole here so I wanted to see what Beyond would do?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Do the Zoom workshop and I'll donate $50 to help with the cost.
    I like neat cars.

Same as you I'd probably want an actual refund, and you will probably end up spending that money there again anyway when restrictions lift. They knew full well this would likely happen when they bought perishable materials, especially if they did so recently and allowed people to book the classes anyway. It was their choice to take that risk instead of just tell everyone it was cancelled, which would have also saved them the perishable material cost. Full price for a 'virtual' class also doesn't seem right, assuming there is some benefit to be had by attending in person, or reduced cost to the business hosting it. Virtual class with a discount seems like the most reasonable compromise but that does not appear to be an option.

At the end of the day if you aren't getting what you paid for, I think you should at least have the option of an actual refund along with the other options. Sounds like you're being punished for their lack of foresight. It sucks that they're a small business but at the same time you're not a charity. That $100 isn't going to make or break either you or their business, so I would just do whatever makes you feel most comfortable. I'm assuming this situation wasn't addressed in some sort of agreement when it was booked.

I don't know much about plants but why can't they be kept alive in the interim?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Sounds like you're being punished for their lack of foresight.
    But they booked said class during a pandemic, so foresight needs to be 20/20 for both here.. I'd try to do whats right for both and either take 50% or do it on Zoom. Are you living day to day that $100 is going to change your life? Doubtful if you booked a $100 succulent course... If you thought you werent getting value online, i'd take the credit for future course such that you wont impact their business immediately..

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I'd do it via zoom. You're still making the crafts and having social time that might be hard to come by in the future.

My Ride
    4x4

Reality check.

Cost of delivering materials is probably greater than the venue costs. So let's call that a wash.

Doing it by zoom - the instructor I'd hope would have bought a decent camera and mic... So they're probably in the hole... I'd be pissed too - but in 5 years will it have mattered? If it won't matter in 5yrs it's not worth more than 5minutes of your life now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    But they booked said class during a pandemic, so foresight needs to be 20/20 for both here.. I'd try to do whats right for both and either take 50% or do it on Zoom. Are you living day to day that $100 is going to change your life? Doubtful if you booked a $100 succulent course... If you thought you werent getting value online, i'd take the credit for future course such that you wont impact their business immediately..
    It's more on the business IMO, especially if the class was booked a while ago and the plants were bought recently when everyone was expecting a lockdown. It boils down to the business not having an agreed upon cancellation policy prior to booking - that is just poor management. Most people these days are still booking things even though they might get cancelled, there really isn't any other option, they just agree to the cancellation policy beforehand. It's unusual for things to be cancelled without refund unless agreed upon at time of purchase.

Everything I have booked & had cancelled during the pandemic has resulted in an automatic full refund (including small companies), WestJet being the sole exception but still resulted in a full refund. Also if you looked at it from the point of view of a credit card company, they would probably approve a chargeback since the service was not rendered as described (not suggesting he do this). Like I said though, for $100 it's not going to make or break anyone either way so do what you are comfortable with. To me this would be like buying a small artist concert ticket, and instead being told to go watch the performance on YouTube and still pay full price. I get the impression part of the appeal of this class is to be there in person, interacting with the teacher & other participants - maybe I am wrong though. Also unless this person has a streaming setup, the online class will probably be done through a crappy laptop webcam or similar, which may take away from the experience.

Anyways, I feel like we're overanalyzing it lol. It's $100, not a huge deal either way, but the business owner should have had a cancellation policy. As a customer, the assumption would be a full refund if there was no cancellation policy detailing otherwise. If it were my business, I'd eat the cost and make sure to have a cancellation policy in place for future classes clearly stating a maximum 50% refund. Lesson learned.

I still don't understand why these plants can neither be kept alive or re-sold. If they are going to die right away, what is the point of the class?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 353
Size:  24.7 KB

This was the quickest "shut up you cheap fuck" I think I've ever gotten before
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Bloody hell that smackdown was nice and fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I guess that settles it

+ Rep to Shelby, That's awesome.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post

God i hope the question was 'how cheap of a fuck are you'

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post

Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Get this man a keychain

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

When you drive a Trackhawk you've obviously got a spare $50 kicking around to shove in the face of peasants like me. I'll give him credit, that was smooth.

*SNIP* They knew full well this would likely happen when they bought perishable materials, especially if they did so recently and allowed people to book the classes anyway. It was their choice to take that risk instead of just tell everyone it was cancelled, which would have also saved them the perishable material cost. Full price for a 'virtual' class also doesn't seem right, assuming there is some benefit to be had by attending in person, or reduced cost to the business hosting it. Virtual class with a discount seems like the most reasonable compromise but that does not appear to be an option.

At the end of the day if you aren't getting what you paid for, I think you should at least have the option of an actual refund along with the other options. Sounds like you're being punished for their lack of foresight. It sucks that they're a small business but at the same time you're not a charity. That $100 isn't going to make or break either you or their business, so I would just do whatever makes you feel most comfortable. I'm assuming this situation wasn't addressed in some sort of agreement when it was booked. *SNIP*
    This is kind of my feeling. This class was to make holiday wreaths and the woman putting it on also makes and sells wreaths and center pieces so all of the material she bought for the class, including the plants, will get used in her regular revenue stream. That's is more than likely why she took delivery of the plants knowing that "recommended" restrictions were in place and mandatory restrictions were looming.

But they booked said class during a pandemic, so foresight needs to be 20/20 for both here.. I'd try to do what's right for both and either take 50% or do it on Zoom. Are you living day to day that $100 is going to change your life? Doubtful if you booked a $100 succulent course... If you thought you weren't getting value online, I'd take the credit for future course such that you wont impact their business immediately..
    This is where my struggle comes from and why I wanted to see what people not involved would think. I agree that to some level I am partially responsible as you're right, I did book it during a pandemic. I don't think the dollar value reflects that responsibility but regardless your point is still valid.

It's more on the business IMO, especially if the class was booked a while ago and the plants were bought recently when everyone was expecting a lockdown. It boils down to the business not having an agreed upon cancellation policy prior to booking - that is just poor management. Most people these days are still booking things even though they might get cancelled, there really isn't any other option, they just agree to the cancellation policy beforehand. It's unusual for things to be cancelled without refund unless agreed upon at time of purchase.

Everything I have booked & had cancelled during the pandemic has resulted in an automatic full refund (including small companies), WestJet being the sole exception but still resulted in a full refund. Also if you looked at it from the point of view of a credit card company, they would probably approve a chargeback since the service was not rendered as described (not suggesting he do this). Like I said though, for $100 it's not going to make or break anyone either way so do what you are comfortable with. To me this would be like buying a small artist concert ticket, and instead being told to go watch the performance on YouTube and still pay full price. I get the impression part of the appeal of this class is to be there in person, interacting with the teacher & other participants - maybe I am wrong though. Also unless this person has a streaming setup, the online class will probably be done through a crappy laptop webcam or similar, which may take away from the experience.

Anyways, I feel like we're overanalyzing it lol. It's $100, not a huge deal either way, but the business owner should have had a cancellation policy. As a customer, the assumption would be a full refund if there was no cancellation policy detailing otherwise. If it were my business, I'd eat the cost and make sure to have a cancellation policy in place for future classes clearly stating a maximum 50% refund. Lesson learned.

I still don't understand why these plants can neither be kept alive or re-sold. If they are going to die right away, what is the point of the class?
    I've definitely got money to spend on my wife's mental health but not money to just walk around handing out $100 to strangers all willy nilly. As Mitsu said, everything that has been booked and canceled during a pandemic refunds have always been issued at or near 100%. Without the in person class the value definitely isn't there for a zoom or you tube class (in my opinion) for the cost. At the same time Brent.FF makes a valid point, as does @90_Shelby when he called me a cheap cunt.

- - - Updated - - -

God i hope the question was 'how cheap of a fuck are you'
    Missed opportunity
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm pretty sure my wife is in this class too. Get your wife to say hi to her.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I'm pretty sure my wife is in this class too. Get your wife to say hi to her.
    *WAS in that class
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

No my wife has already agreed to the online class without any drama.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

No my wife has already agreed to the online class without any drama.
    Ahh copy. Yea, my wife's husband is a drama queen so I'm not sure what she will do.
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

There are people who go straight to solutions, and those who write paragraphs of gibberish that no one cares about.

Nice work 90_Shelby on being the former.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast