Quantcast
Saskatchewan driller hits 'gusher' with ground-breaking geothermal well - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saskatchewan driller hits 'gusher' with ground-breaking geothermal well

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Default Saskatchewan driller hits 'gusher' with ground-breaking geothermal well

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...or-oil-workers

CALGARY — A small, Saskatoon-based company has drilled and fracked the world’s first 90-degree horizontal well for geothermal power in a potentially landmark move that signals the arrival of a new energy source in Canada and provides fresh opportunities for oil and gas workers to apply their skills in renewable power.

No company in Canada has produced electricity from geothermal heat, but Deep Earth Energy Production Corp. chief executive officer Kirsten Marcia told the Financial Post that there’s a “big, big future for geothermal power in Western Canada,” as demonstrated by the results of the first ever horizontal geothermal well, which is also the deepest horizontal well ever drilled in Saskatchewan.

“We were looking for a way to explain to people that we drilled a gusher,” said Marcia, a geologist who worked in the mining and petroleum industries before pioneering a geothermal business in Saskatchewan. In the oil and gas world, a “gusher” is an extremely productive well that pumps substantial volumes of oil and gas.

In Canada’s nascent geothermal power industry, Deep’s “gusher” can produce steaming-hot water and brine with a temperature of 127 degrees centigrade at a rate of 100 litres per second. Marcia said those flow rates mean the well will actually be limited by the hardware, such as pump capacity, that are connected to the wellhead. She said the well, called the Border-5HZ well, is capable of producing 3 megawatts of renewable, reliable electricity, enough to power 3,000 homes. The well will form part of a larger 20MW geothermal power project, which is expected to commence construction in 2023 in southern Saskatchewan close to the U.S. border.

The well is also a first for the global geothermal industry. Directional geothermal power wells have been drilled in California, but Marcia said those were drilled at a 75-degree angle, rather than being truly horizontal. Her company’s Border-5HZ well was drilled into the earth at a depth of 3,450 metres before turning at a 90 degree angle and drilling through sedimentary rock along a 2,000-metre lateral route. “This is a sedimentary geothermal project. There aren’t a lot of them in the world,” Marcia said, noting that most geothermal power projects, including those in world-leading Iceland, drill vertically into volcanic rock formations. “In terms of drilling into a sedimentary basin, you’re drilling into sedimentary units that are like a stack of pancakes.” Deep is also responsible for the deepest vertical well ever drilled in Saskatchewan, after announcing in Nov. 2018 it had drilled a 3,530-metre well.

Governments in Alberta and Saskatchewan have been revamping regulations for drilling and for power generation in an attempt to stimulate geothermal power investment in their provinces partly because the geothermal industry uses many of the same skills as the existing oil and gas industry. This week, Alberta MLAs passed legislation that will allow the province’s energy regulator to develop a new framework for geothermal wells to be licensed and drilled in the province. The bill is considered a way to keep oilfield services workers, such as drillers, working as investment in renewable energy is projected to rise in the coming years.

While other geothermal wells have been drilled in Canada previously to channel heat directly from the earth, Deep and a handful of other companies are among the first in the country to use the earth’s heat to generate electricity. In Alberta, Calgary-based oil and gas producer Razor Energy Corp. is working on a geothermal project north of Edmonton that would retrofit existing wells to produce 3MW to 5MW of geothermal power.

Near Fort Nelson, B.C., a natural gas-rich town, a non-profit research association called Geoscience BC is undertaking a feasibility study of the Clark Lake Geothermal project that would repurpose a gas field to produce geothermal power.
    At Deep, Marcia said it’s very difficult to repurpose existing oil and gas wells to produce geothermal power because the diameters of most existing wells are too narrow for the tubing that geothermal wells need to pump water in a cycle through the earth’s crust.

However, geologists have identified multiple locations in Western Canada to produce geothermal power and use existing oil and gas skills in renewable power production, Marcia said.

Over 100 oilfield workers were on site to drill and hydraulic-fracture her company’s horizontal well in southern Saskatchewan in September and October, including a drilling crew from Houston-based Weatherford International Plc, and a pressure-pumping team from Saskatchewan’s Element Technical Services Inc.

“It’s amazing. Everything we’re doing is figuratively and literally on the backs of these highly skilled oilfield workers. We couldn’t do this without this expertise in this part of the world,” said Marcia.

She added that the project was de-risked in part by funding from the federal government, which committed $25.6 million in funding in January 2019 for the project. All told, the geothermal power project is expected to cost $51 million.
    Some of the verbage in the article is a little cringe worthy so the press release on their website is a better read https://deepcorp.ca/deep-achieves-ou...appointed-coo/
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

With regards to new ICE engine design for mass production, I believe the key numbers are things like a BTU/cost/hp ratio.

Is there something similar here? How would they measure potential output? $ spent to $ in electricity?

But otherwise, yea - why not? Geothermal would be a huge potential - esp. up north and decrease reliance on diesel gen.
    Last edited by revelations; 11-27-2020 at 06:36 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Feels a little bit amateur-ey compared to Eavor.

https://eavor.com/

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Feels a little bit amateur-ey compared to Eavor.

https://eavor.com/
    They are completely different approaches. Eavor is a closed system where DEEP is an open system similar to SAGD. I thought after the initial loop was built Eavor was mothballed because of the costs were going to be astronomical but I definitely could be wrong. Either way, regardless of the approach, its cool to see technology and services from oil and gas being applied to other "green" energy and hopefully it helps clean up the public image for O&G workers.
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    They are completely different approaches. Eavor is a closed system where DEEP is an open system similar to SAGD. I thought after the initial loop was built Eavor was mothballed because of the costs were going to be astronomical but I definitely could be wrong. Either way, regardless of the approach, its cool to see technology and services from oil and gas being applied to other "green" energy and hopefully it helps clean up the public image for O&G workers.
    Yeah, diff approaches for sure. Closed loop would be more enviro friendly wouldn't it? idk.

Eavor has not been mothballed; quite the opposite. They are starting to get a pipeline (ha) of contracts in place and the team is growing.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Good luck convincing the greenies it’s clean when the well has been fracked.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Was just reading about this. It’s cool on the surface (no pun), but I don’t see it feasible.

The turbines required for large scale would be too massive, and very complex if they’re condensing/extraction units.

Simply put - because the water is only around 125C, the corresponding saturated steam temperature will only allow around 150kpa.

However, that’s silly to imagine a purely zero energy input unit - so likely there will be a duct burner/superheater system that will supplement the process.

I envision a low pressure plant with greatly superheated steam via natural gas means.

It’ll be much greener as the majority of energy is always converting water to steam at its saturation temperature. That will be taken care of by the geothermal.

I’ll admit, it’s cool and right in my wheel house. Looking forward to other advancements.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Was just reading about this. It’s cool on the surface (no pun), but I don’t see it feasible.

The turbines required for large scale would be too massive, and very complex if they’re condensing/extraction units.

Simply put - because the water is only around 125C, the corresponding saturated steam temperature will only allow around 150kpa.

However, that’s silly to imagine a purely zero energy input unit - so likely there will be a duct burner/superheater system that will supplement the process.

I envision a low pressure plant with greatly superheated steam via natural gas means.

It’ll be much greener as the majority of energy is always converting water to steam at its saturation temperature. That will be taken care of by the geothermal.

I’ll admit, it’s cool and right in my wheel house. Looking forward to other advancements.
    Wouldn’t it make more sense to use a second loop with heat exchangers to help optimize actual plant design?

I always saw this stuff as more as a general heat source which then feeds into a more standard industrial process.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Wouldn’t it make more sense to use a second loop with heat exchangers to help optimize actual plant design?

I always saw this stuff as more as a general heat source which then feeds into a more standard industrial process.
    Yep, exactly. It won’t be ultra green like people think, but will help overall op cost.

I read the article for the Torquay pilot project, the simple process diagram they had didn’t have supplemental firing. Shrug.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    4x4

Just curious, i know we all think turbines for power generation...

But isn't this like the perfect setup for stirling cycle? What were those building backup power - whisper quiet NG/Propane generators that ran the stirling engines?

Curious though - are we taking deep hot water and pumping it back down or does it get dumped on the surface?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Moar drilling is moar better.

This would be awesome to put beside a greenhouse or other large industrial facility to use the low-temp water after the power cycle is over. Even 30c would be enough at that point. Kind of a "district heating" sort of deal.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 11-28-2020 at 10:50 AM.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Just curious, i know we all think turbines for power generation...

But isn't this like the perfect setup for stirling cycle? What were those building backup power - whisper quiet NG/Propane generators that ran the stirling engines?

Curious though - are we taking deep hot water and pumping it back down or does it get dumped on the surface?
    Bring it up, through a heat exchanger, then back down.

I’m not sure on the specifics, but that’s the process. Geothermal water exchanges with boiler feed water and likely then enters a flash drum for the steam portion. Send the steam through a coil boiler with supplementary duct burners to super heat it.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Bring it up, through a heat exchanger, then back down.

I’m not sure on the specifics, but that’s the process. Geothermal water exchanges with boiler feed water and likely then enters a flash drum for the steam portion. Send the steam through a coil boiler with supplementary duct burners to super heat it.
    Pretty much. The formation water is only used to transport thermal energy to a heat exchanger then injected back down one of the injection wells. The water from that formation is nasty stuff. I would anticipate maintenance costs to be pretty high but hopefully I'm wrong.

I think the end game is a series of production/injection wells using this area and first 20 MW as a proof of concept and getting the bugs worked out so it can be applied elsewhere in Canada. I also am pretty sure they are looking at secondary streams of revenue as not far from here people are extracting hydrogen. Depending on the land use there may be some solar panel fields to run their facilities so anything produced from the wells goes to the grid.
    I'm generally cute.

Good luck convincing the greenies it’s clean when the well has been fracked.
    Fracking into a water zone? Surprised a Geologist can do this purposefully.
    They do a lot of it without intent usually.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's the only place they can hit 100%of the time.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Fracking into a water zone? Surprised a Geologist can do this purposefully.
    They do a lot of it without intent usually.
    Oh snap

- - - Updated - - -

It's the only place they can hit 100%of the time.
    Shots fired

fact.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That's because drilling engineers demand speed over accuracy

Geothermal is picking up steam (lol) which is really great for Albertans. Eavor's closed loop system is pretty impressive for a lot of reasons and avoids the dreaded fracking headline. Still, EGS is quite prevalent throughout the world, except for Germany. Those buggers are so anti-fracking they make Vancouver look conservative.
    Last edited by msommers; 11-30-2020 at 09:39 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Staying off topic. I had a geologist request we move up 50 cm once. Had to have a little talk about the ellipse of uncertainty after that.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I like that guy.

Some of the Dunvegan wells I've drilled were pretty thin reservoir. Pull out the rotary steerable and go slow...love that thing.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Last edited by SKR; 11-30-2020 at 11:34 PM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast