Quantcast
Dividend Stocks - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Dividend Stocks

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i listened to couch potato til like the 4th ep where he said, dont waste your time til your mortgage is paid off... that pretty much told me what i already knew, i am not sitting down for the next 15 years.
    Not sure if I'm reading that right (did you agree or disagree?), but I'm not a big proponent of the pay off the mortgage crowd myself. Interest rates are certainly a huge consideration these days, but there are other considerations to be had I think. I would rather leave investments and a large life insurance policy for my kids than a property. Fortunately, and despite many setbacks, we have enough equity that we can downsize when the kids move out and have a minimal mortgage if we wanted. Personally, I'd like to think I can upsize...but sunshine and rainbows don't pay the bills.

That said...if we ran into significant unexpected cash, I'd pay off the house but max out the TFSA's first.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by syscal View Post
    Not sure if I'm reading that right (did you agree or disagree?), but I'm not a big proponent of the pay off the mortgage crowd myself. Interest rates are certainly a huge consideration these days, but there are other considerations to be had I think. I would rather leave investments and a large life insurance policy for my kids than a property. Fortunately, and despite many setbacks, we have enough equity that we can downsize when the kids move out and have a minimal mortgage if we wanted. Personally, I'd like to think I can upsize...but sunshine and rainbows don't pay the bills.

That said...if we ran into significant unexpected cash, I'd pay off the house but max out the TFSA's first.
    From how I interpreted the podcast was telling him what he already knew which is to pay off his mortgage first.

With low interest rate right now I'm ok putting more into investment over paying off our mortgage (I'l still putting extra on our mortgage on a regular basis) but if I catch a windfall with my stonks then paying off our mortgage or reducing it considerably would be one of the top 3 things I would do

Interesting development from someone who's been hands-off until now.

I'm inputting our stock history into Yahoo Finance for now, including initial buys and dollar-cost-average buys since 2016.

Discovered that one stock, Agrium, was merged into Nutrien. Not only do I have zero clue this happened (derp) but also no idea on how to calculate that initial Nutrien buy-in after the fact. 8 stocks turned into 18, but is the initial price based on the start of the next business day? I think so, but not 100% clear at this point.

Interesting find and indication I need to actively track everything myself regardless of who I've hired to assist with managing the portfolio. Shout out to EJ guy, he's giving me all the info I'm asking for...which is difficult because I don't want an answer, I want an explanation.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Put your righty foot down. Tell him you don't want an explanation, you want tendies. He will understand if he's any good at trading.

Who cares where the gains come from? That's what you are paying this guy for, unless you are getting a side of blowjobs. The less you know the better. Plausible deniability.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 11-30-2020 at 11:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Very uneven last few months, with some stocks showing good signs of recovery, and others staying stuck low. Guess if you wanted a long term holding of a stable company, picking those ones that have not yet shown signs of recovery would be smart.
    Seems like ENB and PPL are still low.

Have been wondering about picking one or two of those to pick up, instead of just my core holding of XEI. Only really makes sense if the individual stock beats 5% by enough to offset the implied risk of de-diversification.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3