Quantcast
Warning versus actual traffic ticket - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning versus actual traffic ticket

Default Warning versus actual traffic ticket

ExteaSlow had mentioned in another thread that he'd never been given a warning as opposed to an actual traffic ticket and that struck me quite odd as I can recall of at least three instances over the 45+ years I've been driving that I got warnings that should've easily been tickets.

Oldest one I recall was getting pulled over doing 140kph on Nose Hill Drive at Charleswood Drive, let off with a warning after my motorbike rolled forward off of it's kickstand (parked facing downhill) and fell over breaking part of the clutch handle off - police officer figured my day had got considerably worse after some damage on my motorbike ($30 part).

Next one I can recall, got pulled over running a red light on Macleod Trail because I was following a semi too closely and couldn't see them the traffic lights until it was too late to stop safely. Certainly my fault and to top it all of and to my horror, the vehicle's registration papers and insurance pink slips were at home on our kitchen table. Again, got off with a warning.

Most recently (within the past 2 years), got pulled over after they ran my plates and discovered I was driving with an expired DL (foolish idiot forgot to renew). Again off with a warning as my licensed son moved into the driver's seat.

So am I just lucky or what? In every instance I was very respectful to the officers involved and openly admitted to the error of my ways when questioned. Now to be fair, I've only been pulled over and given four violations in those 45+ years of driving so maybe I just haven't had enough interaction with whatever police services.
    Last edited by speedog; 11-29-2020 at 11:20 AM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I once got a warning for (estimated) 50km/h over on John Laurie. The actual speed was might higher.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Most of my tickets I ever received was for doing dumb stupid shit.

Majority of the time I've been let off with a warning simply because I admit I did something stupid and was nice to the police officer.

My Ride
    NC1

I’ve been let off once after being pulled over. 70 in a 50 zone, nye doing food deliveries.

Another time I did a u turn at an intersection right in front of a cop and he didn’t pursue so I’ll take that as a win too lol

All the other tickets I had it coming.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Once the cop has been at my window, I've never not gotten a ticket. The vast majority were "license and insurance, wait, here's your ticket" interactions I've never even had the cop ask me a question. I did have one cop in Montana flash his lights at me on the interstate when he was going the other way, but he didn't even tap his brakes to follow me. And one RCMP in K-country gave me a "95+" ticket instead of the 125 km/h one I deserved.

And I'm not a dick to the cops either. I dunno. I don't get many tickets any more, so hard to say if being older would help. Last one was for rolling a stop sign in rimbey on the canada day long weekend two years ago. No discussion from the RCMP member that day either, my kids and wife thought it was funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

It's been nearly a decade since I last got pulled over.

Last month, I got stopped for registration that was a week over expiry and my pink card hadn't been updated.

Cop said I was cooperative and let me off with a warning.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Been pulled over twice, once in Edmonton eight years ago coming to the city where it goes to 90kph. Got a reduced ticket right at the side of the road once the cop saw I was from out of town and there working. Radar was 108 in a 90

Second was ten years ago, got caught doing 72 in a 50, turned a corner, saw the cop and was pulling over by the time his lights came on. Lost of offences included 22kph over posted, no seatbelt, no proof of insurance (forgot to put my new card in the jeep and handed him an expired one), tint on both front windows, no mud flaps on a lifted vehicle. Walked away with my 22 over ticket and a promise to find my insurance, paid the ticket in full the next week
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

I've been warned once out of the three times I've been pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Once the cop has been at my window, I've never not gotten a ticket. The vast majority were "license and insurance, wait, here's your ticket" interactions I've never even had the cop ask me a question. I did have one cop in Montana flash his lights at me on the interstate when he was going the other way, but he didn't even tap his brakes to follow me. And one RCMP in K-country gave me a "95+" ticket instead of the 125 km/h one I deserved.

And I'm not a dick to the cops either. I dunno. I don't get many tickets any more, so hard to say if being older would help. Last one was for rolling a stop sign in rimbey on the canada day long weekend two years ago. No discussion from the RCMP member that day either, my kids and wife thought it was funny.
    My motorcycle speeding warning, I was actually sitting in the back seat of the cruiser and was in my early 20's. 140 in a 70 zone warning.
    Last edited by speedog; 11-29-2020 at 12:26 PM.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Once the cop has been at my window, I've never not gotten a ticket. The vast majority were "license and insurance, wait, here's your ticket" interactions I've never even had the cop ask me a question. .
    This is my experience too. I've also never not gotten a ticket if I'm pulled over. There usually minimal interaction outside of "here's your ticket'. Only once have I ever gotten a reduced speed (that I was very grateful for) but besides that its always been the full ticket too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

So is it as simple as the vibe one unknowingly projects unto the world? Or just dumb luck?

My Ride
    4x4

97%, interior light on keys on dashboard, hands on the wheel until asked to produce documents... No ticket.

But that bloody sherrif in beiseker...

8am sunday morning, lovely day no traffic in sight - huge lines of sight (down to the 3 way stop), not another car on the road.

Apparently I stopped, but didn't stop for 3 seconds before entering the highway.

3 demerits, and i think it was 300$. It wasn't nice.

I was stopped 50' past the turn, before he'd even left the parking lot of the esso, saw his lights go on, went "shit, that'll be for me"...

Must have been having a bad day.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

dude in a turbo prelude is tripling the limit down bow trail westbound and gets a warning - who remembers this og beyond vid?
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by zipdoa View Post
    dude in a turbo prelude is tripling the limit down bow trail westbound and gets a warning - who remembers this og beyond vid?
    yea I remember that - "why are you driving like a jackass" - have been trying to find it.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    So is it as simple as the vibe one unknowingly projects unto the world? Or just dumb luck?
    Maybe. Could be a lot of things. Like AndyL, my interactions normally go like this:

1) Roll down both windows
    2) Both hands on steering wheel
    3) Hello officer
    4) Yes, my license and registration is in my glovebox. I'm reaching for it now
    5) Cop tells me why he pulled me over
    6) I don't argue or make up excuses but I'll explain any extenuating circumstances.

That said, I've been pulled over and given a ticket with barely more than 3 sentences.

I don't know how some of you wankers get off with doing 50km without a ticket though That's truly luck.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Yeah, I don't think I have ever gotten a warning, however, I have very rarely gotten a ticket for what I was initially pulled over for.

Last time I was doing 74 in a 50 zone. Cop gave me a ticket for no mud flaps.
    I rolled through 2 stop signs (turning right both times) and got pulled over. Cop gave me a ticket for not having my lightbar covered, and 2 warning tickets. I don't count those warnings as I still got a ticket.
    At 5:15am on a saturday and I was doing 90 kph and slowing on 16th headed east after COP. It drops to 50, and I just let off the gas to slow down. I ended up blowing through a red light that just turned red. Cop pulled me over and I got a ticket for running a yellow or failing to yeild to a yellow or something like that.

I mean, each time, the cops had me dead to rights on a lot, but every time they just give me reduced tickets with no demerits attached to them. I just keep it casual with them, and like others stated, I shut my vehicle down, keys on the dash, interior lights on, etc... Just be respectful. The thing a lot of people forget is that the side of the road isn't the place to be arguing and if you do argue, it just makes the COP pissed off and want to ruin your day. All in all, I have been pretty lucky.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    ExteaSlow had mentioned in another thread that he'd never been given a warning as opposed to an actual traffic ticket and that struck me quite odd as I can recall of at least three instances over the 45+ years I've been driving that I got warnings that should've easily been tickets.

Oldest one I recall was getting pulled over doing 140kph on Nose Hill Drive at Charleswood Drive, let off with a warning after my motorbike rolled forward off of it's kickstand (parked facing downhill) and fell over breaking part of the clutch handle off - police officer figured my day had got considerably worse after some damage on my motorbike ($30 part).

Next one I can recall, got pulled over running a red light on Macleod Trail because I was following a semi too closely and couldn't see them the traffic lights until it was too late to stop safely. Certainly my fault and to top it all of and to my horror, the vehicle's registration papers and insurance pink slips were at home on our kitchen table. Again, got off with a warning.

Most recently (within the past 2 years), got pulled over after they ran my plates and discovered I was driving with an expired DL (foolish idiot forgot to renew). Again off with a warning as my licensed son moved into the driver's seat.

So am I just lucky or what? In every instance I was very respectful to the officers involved and openly admitted to the error of my ways when questioned. Now to be fair, I've only been pulled over and given four violations in those 45+ years of driving so maybe I just haven't had enough interaction with whatever police services.
    I’ve had my share of warnings, to the point where I asked one of the beyond cops if it was normal or is it just me being polite. Well I must have jinxed it because the next time I took the winter car out with the family, didn’t have registration or insurance papers in it, pulled over for going 20 over, and left our family of 5 stranded on Stoney trail while the cop towed the car lol. That was fun.

My most memorable warning was like 10 or so years ago, the meth injection wasn’t working right on the HPF M3, so idiot me decide to test it on an empty road. Well it started working right and unleashed full 750hp when a cop was in sight. Must’ve been doing 200 haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Keys on the dash? I've never done that, vehicle off - yes but keys in the ignition every time except the motorcycle warning. Hands, usually visible but not necessarily both on the steering wheel.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I've been pulled over about 6 times in my life, all in BC and during my hayday of motorcycling. Probably 5 warnings.

Couple of things:

- traffic cops will never give warnings, these are the lidar traps and the unmarked units that pull you over.
    - admitting fault/being apologetic is 100% the best course of action in Canada (completely different rules in USA). Quickest way to guarantee a ticket is to act like a douche, in Canada.

Quick story to one:

Was riding back to BC from Calgary and took the 1A road through the park (windier, nicer views) on my motorcycle. It was a quiet Tuesday in late August, not much traffic. I saw on 1A that they had laid out cones in the middle of the road (construction purposes) and some person was driving and dropping cones on the middle of the road. I passed them at normal speed (nothing insane, they might have been going 20 and I was 60) and I proceeded to weave between the cones on the bike, like a conehead.

Turns out the guy I passed was Parks Police and they pulled me over. Started yelling at me at how dangerous I was blah blah - however I put on my EU tourist/new arrival accent (my name is not Canadian) and apologised profusely. I then took out my camera out of my jacket and started playing tourist and taking pictures of the scenery (bush) once they went back into their truck.

The Parks police came out and apologized for being rude and told me to pass with more care next time. No ticket.
    Last edited by revelations; 11-29-2020 at 03:25 PM.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

City Traffic RCMP = ticket every time.
    Rural RCMP = Almost always a warning every time. (Can't speak to Ponoka RCMP, I know they don't have a good rep on here.)
    City peace officer = warning every time.
    County Mountie = ticket every time.
    AB Sheriffs = ticket every time, absolutely no question about that.

Can't personally speak to CPS/EPS or CNR/CPR Police or the Parks. Fins and Feathers seems pretty sticky.

I did get pulled over by an RCMP collision analyst once on Hwy 11 lol. He gave me a warning tho.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast