Quantcast
Alberta Provincial Administrative Penalties Act - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alberta Provincial Administrative Penalties Act

Default Alberta Provincial Administrative Penalties Act

As if we don't have enough BS incoming on the horizon. Green New Deal, Trudeau/Biden Cabinet members/ect and the "Global Economic Reset", ideas being put forth to further tax "boomers", Orders in Council seizing hundreds of thousands of firearms owned legally by Canadians (based on a lie from the N.S. mass shooting) - now this new act in Alberta is going to even further infringe rights. I know some of the respected LE members here discussed the changes to the DUI laws (yes, the whole "it's the same as its always been" deal), knocking on your door hours after you drove, and so on. I know everyone considers DUI drivers scum, but the Alberta Provincial Administration Act that's coming goes much, much further than just DUI charges. I'm interested to hear what any Beyond LE members think about this new act, especially the provisions in it regarding LE officers.

I've known Mr Runkle for over a decade now, him being very active in the Alberta firearms and shooting community, and I trust what he says, and his opinions. Worth 20 minutes of any Albertan's time, and if you don't want laws like this to keep on coming, contacts for local and Provincial government are linked in the video description box.

21:50 in the video for the TLDR description of what this act will do in terms of Provincial Court matters (again, not just DUI, that's just the starting/roll out part of the act).

Last edited by Gman.45; 11-25-2020 at 11:29 AM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

This is what all the Karen's and SJW's want. We're completely fucked as far as rights and freedoms after this next year or so.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Can someone coles this for me in less tinfoil language?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    in less tinfoil language?
    I think thats highly improbable..

My Ride
    ute

I didn't click play, but that guy is channelling the Julian Assange look perfectly.

My Ride
    Bicycle

In a now deleted ABGov Page, they used the following to justify this law:

In addition to saving lives and preventing needless injury, these new measures are expected to benefit Albertansin several other ways:
    • free up about 8% of court time to ensure Alberta’s prosecutors and courts can clear their multi-yearbacklog to prosecute serious criminal matters
    • eliminate approximately 1,200 complex full, or multi-day, trials
    • free up more than 30,000 hours of police time – ensuring police are on the streets protecting Albertansand communities
    Basically, cops are now this:

.... when it comes to impaired driving.

My Ride
    lobster boat

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Can someone coles this for me in less tinfoil language?
    Here's the overview from https://www.alberta.ca/making-alberta-roads-safer.aspx.

Overview
    Bill 21, the Provincial Administrative Penalties Act will change how we penalize impaired drivers and handle traffic ticket disputes by taking them out of the courts to free up court and police resources to focus on the most serious offences.

The act introduces new immediate roadside penalties to get impaired drivers off the street. Many first time offenders will be able to deal with these penalties through a new online traffic dispute system. The most serious cases, including repeat offences and impaired driving causing harm, will receive the same roadside penalties and be prosecuted in court.

Implementing an approach with immediate and severe consequences has been proven to deter impaired driving in B.C. With these changes, Alberta will have among the toughest impaired driving laws in the country.

Key changes

Bill 21 will:

1. introduce a new Immediate Roadside Sanction program in late 2020 with serious, immediate and escalating consequences for impaired drivers, including:
      • new fines up to $2,000
      • increased length of vehicle seizure up to 30 days for certain offences
      • new mandatory education programs for repeat offenders
      • increased driver’s licence suspensions for repeat offenders
      • expanded mandatory ignition interlock for repeat offenders
    2. launch an online ticket dispute system in 2021 to:
      • make it easier for Albertans to pay, request more time to pay, or dispute a ticket
      • free up courts and police to focus on the most serious matters
    3. enshrine into law that commercial drivers must have zero blood alcohol and drug concentrations on the job

My Ride
    Silverado

I find it ironic that we have been taught that drinking and driving is a very serious offence, and then when it comes to defending ourselves, it's like yea nah, it's not a big deal just pay your giant fine. oh, and it's now decriminalized for most cases. If it's so serious and we need to Breathalyze every person why decriminalize it.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...time-offenders
    Ehhh we're tired of people defending themselves..
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 11-25-2020 at 01:53 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Curious.. with the covid-isms, what are they doing for breathalyzers? has anyone been hit with one since then? do they wipe it with an alcohol wipe...?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Online ticket dispute system..... that's going to be fun.

This whole thing is fucked. What's the solution? Don't stop for peace officers anymore?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Silverado

I'd donate to a fund set up to fight this legislation.

Not being able to fight tickets is such bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I didn't click play, but that guy is channelling the Julian Assange look perfectly.
    Definitely not what I picture a gun nut to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    Definitely not what I picture a gun nut to look like.
    He's a well respected lawyer in Edmonton, he's been practicing for at least 8 or 9 years that I've know him. He just happens to be a shooter and hunter as well. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head (get it), don't click the vid, don't be educated about near-future laws that are coming into effect. Also, then don't cry when a cop doesn't like you and issues you 1/2 a dozen "penalties" on the spot, penalties you have NO legal recourse to fight with this new act. It doesn't stop with the highway traffic act either, they want to slide this type of "enforcement" into many if not all provincial court matters. You'll be assumed guilty of all crimes that fall under the Provinces court jurisdiction shortly, the officer charging you won't be able to be cross examined as he is protected from any type of perjury, and on and on it goes.

I clearly posted the time in the video to watch from for the "Coles notes" or TLDR/W, it's less than a minute to hear the synapsis of what's going to happen with this act.

If you don't want to watch that video, read what a former RCMP officer and court officer's opinion of the act is.

https://lethbridgeherald.com/comment...-fair-hearing/

If you think this is all "tin foil hat" - I'll revisit this thread in a year or two. I remember being ridiculed when the Obama Health care plan was proposed, when I said it's going to increase the rates of most working families of 3,4, or 5 members. It did so, massively, and when I reposted a couple years later after the implementation of "Obama Care", everyone who was critical pretty much stfu. It'll be the same with this issue, if anyone wants to bet some $ on it, I'm game. Everything I mentioned is happening, I must be dreaming about the 40 thousand dollars worth of rifles/upper receivers I can no longer use, and have 1.5 years left to be seized or turned in for destruction. Yep, tin foil, just dreamed those letters from the RCMP I guess. Someone already made a thread about the proposed new taxation on boomers/etc wealth, right Extraslow - my post is "tin foil" according to you, so why isn't yours? Tin foil, never going to happen, make your tin foil hats and spin in your chair, it's just nutty to think the government would implement any of these acts. "Global economic reset" - Trudeau is the one who said/coined it, tin foil, he must have been referring to something else. Same with John Kerry espousing the same thing as Trudeau verbatim. Tin foil strikes again, I'm sure it's just the nuts who think he actually means what he says.

And now the UCP who is supposed to be against the removing of Albertan's rights, is sliding in this BS administrative penalties/punishment act.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 11-25-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Curious.. with the covid-isms, what are they doing for breathalyzers? has anyone been hit with one since then? do they wipe it with an alcohol wipe...?
    My father's department is still doing roadside stops, despite Covid. Using the new Draeger 5000 unit, which can detect not just alcohol, but THC (CBD as well, you're fucked with that in your system too), cocaine, meth amphetamines, methadone, pretty much all opioids/opiates, benzos, and other prescription drugs. Pop positive for any one of them, have a nice day with your DUI charge.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by gman.45 View Post
    my father's department is still doing roadside stops, despite covid. Using the new draeger 5000 unit, which can detect not just alcohol, but thc (cbd as well, you're fucked with that in your system too), cocaine, meth amphetamines, methadone, pretty much all opioids/opiates, benzos, and other prescription drugs. Pop positive for any one of them, have a nice day with your dui charge.
    lol wut

cbd? Lmao
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

What the fuck are you talking about gman? CBD? Lol.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

It has some limitations.

But the Draeger device also has some significant limitations.
    For example, if a subject eats, drinks or smokes within ten minutes of the test being performed, results can be compromised. This means that police officers will have to abide by particular protocols, and drivers will have to be truthful about the events leading up to the traffic stop, in order for results to be reliable. Unfortunately, these two factors do not always occur.

Another significant limitation is the environment. If the device isn’t in a controlled and stable environment, tests can also be affected. A tilt of ten degrees or more can affect the accuracy of results. Consider how things could go wrong when testing is occurring on the roadside, in an uncontrolled and often chaotic environment.

But perhaps the most concerning restriction for the Draeger DrugTest 5000 has to do with temperature. The device has an operating temperature range between 4 and 40 degrees Celcius. While the manufacturer of the device assures that the device will not be affected by outdoor temperature, as it regulates its own internal temperature, this limitation has caused problems for some geographical areas in the past.

In 2017, the device proved to be a problem for police forces in Ireland, where the device was not found to be suitable for roadside use in temperatures under 4 degrees.

Officers were forced to detain drivers and bring them back to the police station so that they could undergo testing indoors, once temperatures dipped down!

When you consider that the vast majority of Canada experiences temperatures well below freezing for at least six months of the year, it is difficult to understand how this device will work effectively in such a unique and challenging environment.
    And also this:

Perhaps the biggest limitation of the device, though, is that it cannot detect for impairment.
    The Draeger can only detect the presence of drugs in the oral fluid…and nothing else.

This means that even drivers who are not affected by drugs may be ultimately detained, investigated for and charged with impaired driving if the device detects the simple presence of a drug and generates a positive result for it. This comes with significant concerns about individual liberties and Charter rights in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    He's a well respected lawyer in Edmonton, he's been practicing for at least 8 or 9 years that I've know him. He just happens to be a shooter and hunter as well. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head (get it), don't click the vid, don't be educated about near-future laws that are coming into effect. Also, then don't cry when a cop doesn't like you and issues you 1/2 a dozen "penalties" on the spot, penalties you have NO legal recourse to fight with this new act. It doesn't stop with the highway traffic act either, they want to slide this type of "enforcement" into many if not all provincial court matters. You'll be assumed guilty of all crimes that fall under the Provinces court jurisdiction shortly, the officer charging you won't be able to be cross examined as he is protected from any type of perjury, and on and on it goes.

I clearly posted the time in the video to watch from for the "Coles notes" or TLDR/W, it's less than a minute to hear the synapsis of what's going to happen w

If you don't want to watch that video, read what a former RCMP officer and court officer's opinion of the act is.

https://lethbridgeherald.com/comment...-fair-hearing/

If you think this is all "tin foil hat" - I'll revisit this thread in a year or two. I remember being ridiculed when the Obama Health care plan was proposed, when I said it's going to increase the rates of most working families of 3,4, or 5 members. It did so, massively, and when I reposted a couple years later after the implementation of "Obama Care", everyone who was critical pretty much stfu. It'll be the same with this issue, if anyone wants to bet some $ on it, I'm game. Everything I mentioned is happening, I must be dreaming about the 40 thousand dollars worth of rifles/upper receivers I can no longer use, and have 1.5 years left to be seized or turned in for destruction. Yep, tin foil, just dreamed those letters from the RCMP I guess. Someone already made a thread about the proposed new taxation on boomers/etc wealth, right Extraslow - my post is "tin foil" according to you, so why isn't yours? Tin foil, never going to happen, make your tin foil hats and spin in your chair, it's just nutty to think the government would implement any of these acts. "Global economic reset" - Trudeau is the one who said/coined it, tin foil, he must have been referring to something else. Same with John Kerry espousing the same thing as Trudeau verbatim. Tin foil strikes again, I'm sure it's just the nuts who think he actually means what he says.

And now the UCP who is supposed to be against the removing of Albertan's rights, is sliding in this BS administrative penalties/punishment act.
    Reading that article makes me want to watch that video even less. He clearly explains the path to fighting tickets in court. He complains about nonsense such as adjudicators being appointed by the government even though that is exactly how judges are appointed as well. He complains that cops will be considered to be under oath, which is how a court case would occur in regular matters. Really the only thing he hit on that is actually different this time is that you have to pay fees, which I agree with but it’s hard to than agree with the overall message of this given how many other stupid things he has said and how many times you keep posting that you will not be able to fight these charges even though everything else has been posted including the article you posted say that you can fight the charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about gman? CBD? Lol.
    What I'm talking about is simple - CBD will pop you as positive for THC frequently with the machine they're using. IE right now the roadside machines in use by the RCMP and city police forces often can't differentiate THC from CBD, and will show a positive for THC from CBD products. That's what I'm talking about. Good enough? You don't have to take my word for it, Google it. It's showed positive for opioids for people that have eaten a Tim Horton's poppy seed muffin as well. Point being, under this new act, even IF this is the case for your DUI charge, have a nice day not being able to fight it.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Perhaps the biggest limitation of the device, though, is that it cannot detect for impairment.
    The Draeger can only detect the presence of drugs in the oral fluid…and nothing else.

This means that even drivers who are not affected by drugs may be ultimately detained, investigated for and charged with impaired driving if the device detects the simple presence of a drug and generates a positive result for it. This comes with significant concerns about individual liberties and Charter rights in this country.
    Hey NZwasp - I'm aware - you still can be charged, even though there is a: no agreed upon limits as to what constitutes "impaired" with various drug levels, and b: that the device doesn't detect impairment per se, due to the previous fact. That said, the device DOES give a level of whatever it detects, and that'll be what you can use as a defense, when they go ahead and charge you with DUI anyway. That is, until this new act comes into force, then you can't argue against the officer's statements or the medical info/test results, as the LE officers statements as well as the "medical" information will be taken as gospel by the new "adjudicators".

Reading that article makes me want to watch that video even less. He clearly explains the path to fighting tickets in court. He complains about nonsense such as adjudicators being appointed by the government even though that is exactly how judges are appointed as well. He complains that cops will be considered to be under oath, which is how a court case would occur in regular matters. Really the only thing he hit on that is actually different this time is that you have to pay fees, which I agree with but it’s hard to than agree with the overall message of this given how many other stupid things he has said and how many times you keep posting that you will not be able to fight these charges even though everything else has been posted including the article you posted say that you can fight the charges.
    The difference under the new act =
    - You are immediately declared guilty, and given a penalty without trial.
    - You will never have a trial, and only be able to appeal to a government appointed "adjudicator", with the appeal process request having to happen within 7 days, and the government has new declarations of what and how you can provide for evidence in your defense (it's in the video, I'm not going to type another wall of text..again).

- The officers notes and testimony will be taken as god's truth, you will have no ability to cross examine, or question, anything that the officer has said or written about the incident. Let me repeat - you or an attorney if you engage one for this new appeals process, will not be able to question anything about what the charging officer has said or done when issuing you your "punishment". IE there is no ability for any defendant under this act to defend themselves against LE inaccuracies, mistakes, or outright lies.

This is just a few of the points Runkle and the RCMP officer in the article have made. Your contention is "nothing is really changing", and you can still fight the charges, it's only some added fees that's changing with this act. That's funny.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 11-25-2020 at 09:19 PM.

If you disagree with the adjudicator you can appeal to court. Seriously, read the stuff you’re posting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast