Quantcast
Autotrader Scammer - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Autotrader Scammer

My Ride
    V8s

Default Autotrader Scammer

So I recently posted a car for sale on kijiji/Autotrader. Obviously a few lowballs are rolling in, and a scammer attempting to pay full price, sight unseen. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I actually went to the effort of reporting the Autotrader scammer to them, after which they shut down his account. This idiot posted, what appears to be, their actual phone number though. I figured I'd give it a call to see if I could talk to them, or in the case it was a random phone number the scammer put in their profile, let the person on the other end know that someone is using it for nefarious purposes. Called twice, both times they declined the call. It's a real number though, appears to be in some small town in Manitoba.

Turns out, it appears to actually be the scammers number... Not long after I tried calling them, they texted me; the verbiage in their reply is nearly identical to what they sent me via email.

I've intentionally left the number in my screenshot. If anyone feels like they want to call or text and try and waste a bit of this dirtbag's time, please do.

Name:  IMG_1962.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  25.9 KB

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I recently posted a car for sale on kijiji/Autotrader. Obviously a few lowballs are rolling in, and a scammer attempting to pay full price, sight unseen. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I actually went to the effort of reporting the Autotrader scammer to them, after which they shut down his account. This idiot posted, what appears to be, their actual phone number though. I figured I'd give it a call to see if I could talk to them, or in the case it was a random phone number the scammer put in their profile, let the person on the other end know that someone is using it for nefarious purposes. Called twice, both times they declined the call. It's a real number though, appears to be in some small town in Manitoba.

Turns out, it appears to actually be the scammers number... Not long after I tried calling them, they texted me; the verbiage in their reply is nearly identical to what they sent me via email.

I've intentionally left the number in my screenshot. If anyone feels like they want to call or text and try and waste a bit of this dirtbag's time, please do.

Name:  IMG_1962.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  25.9 KB
    I'll book an hour this morning for this important activity.
    Thanks!

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'll book an hour this morning for this important activity.
    Thanks!
    Only an hour?

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Obvious scam.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Might not be his real #, could be a TextNow or TextFree #
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

About a dozen years ago I got a similar message - before such wording was an instant indication of fraud. They actually sent me a very legit looking cheque from a business account. Found the business info and called them, and they informed me blank cheque sheets had somehow been stolen from their company and this was absolutely a fraud.

Cops were not interested in getting involved (why fight crime?) so I arranged a time for the fraud to pick up the vehicle at a parking lot and left it at that. They never contacted me back, but I sure hope they showed up to claim their prize.

My Ride
    V167

The funds will come from the estate of my uncle, however I can only withdraw $2.03 million dollars and must transfer the complete amount to you. You would then transfer me back the $2.03 million minus the amount for the Trackhawk that you have for sale. I will pay you an extra $100 000 for your time and assistance. This is an urgent matter and I look forward to completing this transaction by tomorrows day end.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I'm surprised that scam is still in circulation. Are people still falling for this?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    I'm surprised that scam is still in circulation. Are people still falling for this?
    Thats the only reason why these are still around.

Same as the chain emails of the 2000s. If people stop responding, they will stop.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I am unfamilar with this scam, but from what I understand they offer full price and offer to pay via paypal? what happens if you fall for it, is there someway for paypal transactions to be rejected or duped somehow?

This is 100% legit! Bought a Trackhawk from him last week. PayPal cleared just waiting now.